SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    14 Years on SigForum, Here's What I've Learned
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14 Years on SigForum, Here's What I've Learned Login/Join 
Picture of caneau
posted
Two days ago was my 14 year anniversary on SigForum. I've learned a few things along the way, even though I no longer have any Sigs. Feel free to add or disagree!

1) Yes, you will really buy a Glock. I've owned every size except for a 17L and the G43/48 lineup. They're boringly reliable but they're also light, accurate, and easy to maintain. Also, the aftermarket is fantastic -- I love the Overwatch Precision trigger in my G19, A-Grips, and all the great sights out there.

2) You will also own a 1911. They're hard to carry, can be finicky, and aren't easy to maintain but they're pleasant to shoot, scary accurate, and have more history behind them than almost anything else you or I own. What else do you own that's still the cutting edge of performance after 100+ years?

3) As fun as Sigs are, the Classic ones are dying. I sold mine because I never carried it. The DA/SA trigger was terrible for my small hands. It was heavier compared to my Glock, had a smaller capacity, and I always forgot to decock.

4) Never be the first to buy a new model or accessory. Wait a year or two. It will improve, go on sale, or be discontinued. Nothing is as revolutionary as the marketing claims and if it is, there are kinks to work out. At the end of the day, a 9mm handgun is a 9mm handgun.

5) Optics *are* the future but they're only now getting there. Type 2 RMRs are the first optic that seems to be meeting reliability standards. It took 25 years to get there from the first C-Mores (1993).

6) 9mm has come a really long way. A *really* long way.

7) .40 is dead and we're better off for it. It is the least pleasant pistol cartridge I've ever shot.

8) Spend money on a great holster and belt. Your lower back will thank you.

9) Lights have improved more than anything else. 14 years ago 6P Surefires were king and at 60 lumens were blowing away D-Cell Maglites. The last I checked 1000 lumens seemed to be pretty standard. That's a 16x improvement.

10) The P210 will die again only to be reborn. Maybe it'll be polymer? Maybe striker fired? Who knows.

11) SigForum is still the best gun forum on the internet.

Got others?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
Nice summary!

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Truth!

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well said!

Shucks, I thought you were just in this for the cat pictures. Wink

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I continue to buy .40 pistols. Bargains.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Nailed it.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like number 11

Posts: 1571 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I disagree with #2. I am not a fan of the 1911

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your anniversary.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Lots of insightful points!

I have to disagree with #7, however. I still love the .40. Wink

On the other hand, I whole-heartedly agree with #11 — you hit that one in the bull’s-eye. Smile

Here’s to your next 14 years!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1683 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Someone else posted it first, 'visit for the guns, stay for the politics'. JAllen's posts did a lot to make me feel at home, and were often wise.

Waiting to buy new products has been a good lesson.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I won't buy a Glock, but I did buy a Walther PPQ, which is basically an improved Glock.

The classic DA/SA Sig is going away, but the SAO versions rock.

I'm not a fan of the 40, it's not pleasant to shoot, but a 50AE is worse.

Other things I've learned are don't wait, do those things you've wanted to do, because you don't know how long you will be healthy or even alive.

Dogs make your life wonderfully better, and it hurts like hell when they pass.

Sigforum can answer just about any question. Without ads. And you can bitch about almost anything.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And German lessons.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16118 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
1) Probably. But I've bought two, I'm down to one, and that's a range toy/race gun. I highly doubt I'll ever buy another.

2) I once thought I never would. I did today.

3) Probably, but a P229 TDA in 357 Sig is on my List and I will carry it.

4) Agreed.

5) Have zero interest in RMRs. Hell, I barely tolerate a light on my home defence pistol.

6) True, but I still prefer something with a bit more *omph*. I'm kinda liking 357 Sig, but...

7) I still like my P239 SAS in .40 S&W. I remain convinced the round is superior to the 9mm. I feel it's easily controllable, with practice. (Though I admit I hated it in the Glock I had.)

8) Agreed, emphatically.

9) Agreed.

10) A polymer or striker-fired P210 would be utterly pointless.

11) Agreed, emphatically.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Nice summary, except:

#1. I'm very much a Glock guy and no, I don't think everyone will buy a Glock. Considering the handling skills of some gun owners that I've encountered, no, these individuals SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO BUY A GLOCK, or any other modern-day striker pistol that doesn't have a manual safety as their crutch. Some minds are incapable of safely handling a gun with adorned such a trigger.

#3. Nah. I was spawned on a Glock. And yet I've had so much fun with the P-SIG genotype. I'm still not where I want to be with the stock SIG DA trigger but I thoroughly enjoy shooting them nonetheless. Plus it was the SIG architecture that got me into Berettas and then into HKs and onto CZs. And though I'll never waiver in my loyalty to Glock, I do take much pleasure in all of the guns that I own (well, except perhaps my P232, but it looks SO pretty so I give it a pass).

#5. Maybe. We're of a technological age that I can foresee virtual sighting and aiming systems quickly overtake mere optical glass-based solutions.

#6. Or humans have just regressed. In a very depressing way.

#7. Bullpucky. .40S&W is still my choice for carry...and practice. 15 years ago I never would've thought or said such, but now I can't imagine what I would be had I not decided to dedicate myself to the caliber. Sure I still shoot plenty of 9mm, but that's like plinking with .22LR.

#10. Great advances in MIM, then outsourced to India? Brrr, a chill suddenly swept across the hall...

#11. Amen to that, brother.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
That is a stellar list. My only real add is that I’ve learned to never sell another gun.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2227 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is very well said in every way .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
7) Why are we better off that it's "dead"?? Carry what works for you, and don't try to eliminate what works perfectly fine for others. There are many of us who will enjoy shooting and carrying this "dead caliber" for a few years yet.

8) A good pair of quality suspenders greatly contributes to the goal of saving your lower back.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I agree with most of #7, but my "least liked cartridge to shoot" is the .357 SIG.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Well said. I agree with most of it.

Posts: 10760 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post