SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Don't be me kids...inspect used stuff before you buy it. UPDATE: My Gun Shop is Awesome!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't be me kids...inspect used stuff before you buy it. UPDATE: My Gun Shop is Awesome! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Does that fluted barrel and tapered underlug signify a custom shop revolver?

Nice trade-up, Good ending.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does that fluted barrel and tapered underlug signify a custom shop revolver?

I'm not sure. Per the website, there's some Performance Center involvement, but I'm not sure to what extent. I imagine the sights and the cylinder cut for moon clips are what make it "Pro Series", but beyond that I'm not sure. I'll probably do a new thread with a review/range report once I get a chance to do some research on it and get out and shoot it. Had to work 15 hours today, in addition to the gun shopping, so not a lot of time to play.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
No, but there's a .357/9mm Blackhawk Convertible in the same case that keeps calling my name every time I go in there!

I could help ya fund the new blackhawk... lol

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
To the OP. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Thanks for posting your story. I picked up a used S&W 65-5 3" today and did a very thorough inspection on it after reading your post. More thorough than I usually do but I'm glad to report everything checked out and I brought it home.

Cheers.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out for you!

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good deal.

In addition to the already mentioned other benefits, that 640 Pro also has much better sights than the 642.

You might consider installing an Apex Duty/Carry spring kit, to help bring the heavy trigger down to a bit more manageable level.

https://www.apextactical.com/j...uty-carry-spring-kit

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Good deal.

In addition to the already mentioned other benefits, that 640 Pro also has much better sights than the 642.

You might consider installing an Apex Duty/Carry spring kit, to help bring the heavy trigger down to a bit more manageable level.

https://www.apextactical.com/j...uty-carry-spring-kit
I've used that kit on several J-Frames, definitely worth the money.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had the same gun for years. 640 Pro is what it’s called. I added the Apex spring kit as well. Good stuff. My particular gun has a very canted barrel. Kind of annoying, but it shoots straight so there’s that.

I love the all steel construction. J frames made of aluminum suck to shoot. This gun will still suck to shoot with magnums. The sights are easily the best J frame sight option out there. Don’t forget, or maybe you already mentioned this, it is cut for moon clips as well. I find the little 5 shot moon clips aren’t nearly as fragile as the bigger ones so possibly more suitable for actual use.

I love mine I believe you will too.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for posting your story. I picked up a used S&W 65-5 3" today and did a very thorough inspection on it after reading your post. More thorough than I usually do but I'm glad to report everything checked out and I brought it home.

That's awesome, and exactly why I shared this! If it saves somebody else avoidable stress and headache, then I've done my job. I'm glad to hear that yours checked out ok, and you scored a good one! I love a 3" K-Frame!

Thanks guys for the Apex spring kit recommendations. I take it there have been no problems with light strikes using those? The factory trigger is heavy, but smooth, and very easy to stage, if you're into that sort of thing. There's kind of a noticeable section near the end of the pull where the cylinder is already locked up, and you just need to add a little more to make it break. I typically try to just pull through a DA trigger in one smooth motion, but on a gun that lacks a single-action option, I guess it's nice to have the option of staging it if you want to.

I just threw the box on the shelf in the basement yesterday when I go home...I went back through it today and discovered that they actually included 3 moon clips that I missed the first time around. They say TK on them, so S&W must be packaging TK Customs moon clips with their guns. I've never had a revolver with moon clips before, so that'll be fun to play with. I have to work again tonight, and I'm stuck at home getting a roofing quote right now, so still no chance to shoot it.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
Wow that's crazy! Glad you didnt get hurt and glad you found it before you put more rounds through it! Does the shop back the product even if it's a used gun?

Is anything replaceable now?

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by magholderusa:
Wow that's crazy! Glad you didnt get hurt and glad you found it before you put more rounds through it! Does the shop back the product even if it's a used gun?

Is anything replaceable now?

Yes, if you read my post halfway down page 2, they clearly did.

Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Eons ago, when I was young and worked at a gunshop. We had someone sell us a couple of 1911s. The frames had hairline cracks. They coated it to cover it up. Same scenario happened. We did the same. Made good with the new customer. Don't know what your gunshop did. But we made them come back and take their defective guns back.

Don't ever beat yourself up over something like this. Woulda, coulda, shoulda is just how life works. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Do what you did. Confirm what it is. Look at your options and decide accordingly.

Worst case would have been..you have a hell of a paperweight for your desk.

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
The 640 is an outstanding revolver. Your Pro version (I think that’s what it is) has some great enhancements. I have a 1995 version that I bought when the magnum version came out. It will be a long term investment.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Worst case would have been..you have a hell of a paperweight for your desk.

Yeah, glad it didn't come to that! Eek

Bcjwriter, yes, it is the "Pro" model. I'm really digging the sights and the moon clips cut. I can't wait to get out to the range with it after Thanksgiving and put it through it's paces.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Similar situation with a customers Colt snubby at my friend ‘s shop.

This was a repair job, both the gunsmith and I saw no cracks, complaint was loose barrel and missing front sight, an estate gun so he knew nothing of it’s history.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8064 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Your shop really did you right! The lockless "Pro" model is the best version of the Model 640 (IMHO) available. Congrats on your new find!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post