SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suppresor on a Home Defense Pistol?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppresor on a Home Defense Pistol? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I use a well sorted out and run in MCX Virtus, 300 blk, suppressed, in the bedroom. Also a P226, not suppressed but that is for backup. I'm al for suppressors, but do be absolutely certain the reliability is the same as unsuppressed.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No suppressor for home defense for me. I don’t plan to perform room-clearing operations in my own house. They can have my stuff. My bedside P320 RXP XFull / Surefire WML immediately goes with me to our gathering point, a reinforced-doorframe deadbolted bedroom.

1. Warn I am armed and trained
2. Turn ON lights.
2. Hit emergency Police call button on Alarm System panel.
3. Call 911 on Landline or Cell in that room. Stay on the line on speaker.
4. Throw front door key on GlowStick out on the lawn for Police to use.
5. Defend the room using tactical barrier training.

If it comes to a imminent threat situation after all that (bad guys break down door) I won’t be worrying about tinnitus or activist prosecutors.

Conserve Liberty, and the right of self-determination.

Posts: 57 | Location: The Flyover Part | Registered: September 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Auditory exclusion has been reported countless times and therefore it’s reasonable to believe it’s a genuine phenomenon, but I’ve never seen it reported except in extremely high stress situations when the individual is intensely focused on dealing with a deadly threat. That’s far different than shooting at a range or when a gunshot occurs unexpectedly, such as when a partner has an unintentional discharge. We can’t, therefore, draw any conclusions about auditory exclusion in other situations.

I've experienced Auditory exclusion in the Army overseas and I've also experienced a lesser form it when hunting.

When I'm hunting, and I used to do it a lot, both big game and upland/waterfowl, when I shoot it sounds like the shot happened around 100 yards away or so, very distant and I felt no recoil either.

In the Army, I didn't hear it at all, nor did I feel any recoil.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a well-known phenomenon, but as has been pointed out, your hearing can still be damaged by indoor gunfire regardless of how your brain processes the signal.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Whatever one decides, practice and train with it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Conserve Liberty:
If it comes to a imminent threat situation after all that (bad guys break down door) I won’t be worrying about tinnitus or activist prosecutors.

I think if you're that prepared, a pair of electronic muffs really ought to be somewhere on that list. I've got a pair of Peltors that only take a few seconds of holding down a button to activate.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, it's a well-known phenomenon, but as has been pointed out, your hearing can still be damaged by indoor gunfire regardless of how your brain processes the signal.

I wasn't disputing that and yes, I've had hearing loss for quite a while now.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Pretty much 100% concur with the OP's reasoning.

Only thing that doesn't really come on my radar is whether my neighbors hear.

I have suppressed long guns for home defense, but I don't have a suppressed pistol. Mostly because I don't have a pistol suppressor.

I'm probably going to dive into a SIG ModX9 in November when I'm up there and can hopefully get it for a discounted price. That said, it'd be going on my MPX in a 2 or 3 baffle configuration.

Were I to run that can on a pistol, I'd still only be using it with a short configuration because I'd only hope to minimize some of the hearing damage and wouldn't be willing to sacrifice the maneuverability for the full configuration.

That said, if/when I get that can, I'd be switching to 147gr bullets instead of the 124s I usually load defensively in the MPX. May or may not be subsonic out of a pistol. Would have to test.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Conserve Liberty:
No suppressor for home defense for me. I don’t plan to perform room-clearing operations in my own house.

I thought the same thing, until I had to perform room-clearing operations in my own house. Granted, it was daytime, but the principle remains: Expect the unexpected.

quote:

4. Throw front door key on GlowStick out on the lawn for Police to use.

This is an excellent idea. But if you can throw the key out onto the lawn, you can likely then just climb out the window onto the lawn and escape. Unless you have an upstairs bedroom, I suppose. But if you're that prepared so as to have a glow stick attached to a spare key for the police to use, then you probably have a window-mounted collapsable fire escape rope ladder as well.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with the OP. Got a G17 suppressed for bedroom duty. It works, even if I hold the suppressor like a for end. Is it still loud, maybe, but a heck of lot less than unsuppressed and that’s what I want.
YMMV

Stay safe

Posts: 275 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by josp:
It works, even if I hold the suppressor like a for end.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
And your Delta Tau Chi name shall be ...
"Fingers"

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I have HD guns that have silencers on them. They are still loud, but MUCH quieter than unsuppressed. I’ve been indoors when firearms are discharged, and I’d like to be able to hear the cops when they get there. I’d also like my wife and dogs not to suffer permanent hearing loss because some criminal scum broke into my house and I had to shoot to stop them.

I’ve never had a silencer cause a gun to malfunction. Maybe I’m just lucky.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
"Now from a more practical point of view. I am one of those "I want the whole neighborhood to know shots were fired and everybody calling the cops" I realize not everybody knows what shots fired sounds like but all it takes is bunch of noise complaints to get a drive by at least."

I disagree to some extent. I would like no one to know that shots were fired until I call the police. I have a dim view of me standing there with a gun in my hand when police come through my door.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
...where Derek Chauvin is convicted of murder and he and his fellow officers are charged with federal civil rights violations even though ZERO evidence was presented at trail that race had anything to do with their actions...

There is absolutely no requirement that race (or any other characteristic) be a factor in a 1983 action. Most law enforcement officers sued (or prosecuted) for excessive force are under 42USC1983. It's happened to me. Guy was white, I'm white. Only claim was excessive force. We received a summary judgment and it was dismissed.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I've experienced Auditory exclusion in the Army overseas and I've also experienced a lesser form it when hunting.

When I'm hunting, and I used to do it a lot, both big game and upland/waterfowl, when I shoot it sounds like the shot happened around 100 yards away or so, very distant and I felt no recoil either.

In the Army, I didn't hear it at all, nor did I feel any recoil.

Same for me, on both counts. On one occasion, I failed to notice a friendly M1A1 Abrams tank firing 10+ main gun rounds, about 50 feet from my location, because I was intensely preoccupied with what I was doing. Only hours later, when I had a terrible headache and mentioned it to someone, was I told about the tank. Normally on a training range you would feel that concussion almost lifting you off the ground, regardless how much ear pro you were wearing. I believe in auditory exclusion. I also suffered some hearing damage, but considering the volume of noise I was exposed to, not just in gunfights but flying in helicopters and walking across tarmacs past taxiing jet aircraft, it’s not that bad.

Still given the tradeoffs, suppressors don’t interest me. One more expensive and red-tape intensive gizmo to hang on my weapon, that won’t influence the outcome in the unlikely event that I have to fire my home defense weapon. I’ve experienced worse and I know the effect on my hearing will not be catastrophic if I ever have to fire a few rounds indoors. On the other hand if I were going downrange again in uniform I’d say hell yes to a suppressor on my issue weapon.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The reduction in noise would be a benefit, but it will still be loudish to shoot a suppressed pistol in the house. Shooting an unsuppressed pistol in the house will be VERY loud, however. That is the advantage.

The disadvantage is that the pistol will be much longer and more unwieldy. It will also be harder to retain if it comes to grappling with an intruder.

The other considerations seem much less important to me.

I don't know if I would come down too strongly on either side. I'd probably not use a suppressor on my house gun if I had one.

I do not think that a jury is going to care too much if you use a suppressor and you get sued. I don't think anyone knows, because, to my knowledge, it hasn't happened that a case like that has been tried. However, I have tried cases to juries and I think I could credibly explain a suppressor's advantage to a jury. Juries are generally seem not swayed by "those dastardly hollow-point" arguments (as per several firearms experts who routinely testify about such things I have heard), and I see no reason to think suppressors would be any different.

The other thing to remember, is that if you are justified in shooting - i.e. there is little to no ambiguity about your right to self defense - the jury won't care if you shoot the intruder with a suppressed .50BMG short barreled rifle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post