SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question for owners of Hi-Powers (HP) that had their guns' action/trigger worked on
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for owners of Hi-Powers (HP) that had their guns' action/trigger worked on Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I realize that many of you had your HPs customized with all kinds of stuff by famed gunsmiths. I'm only interested in the result of the trigger/action works. I owned a few stock HPs many years ago, and their unmodified triggers invariably sucked with heavy pull. I never had the mag disconnect removed, so I don't know the result. From another thread about Novak Custom, I decided to check the specs on their custom work on the HP and was shocked to find that the listed trigger pull is 5 - 6 lbs. WTH? Why would I want a custom pistol with all the other fancy work done, but the trigger remains that heavy. I don't care how crisp the trigger is, if it's that heavy, I know wouldn't be spending my money.

Is that the lower limit the SA pull that can be done on the HP? If not, why leave it so high? Even for a carry/self defense gun, I suspect that most folks would have no problems going much lower. What am I missing?

So, what are your custom HPs' trigger pull weights from various gunsmiths?

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC... and it's been a long, long time since I've done anything serious with a BHP.
Trigger Jobs on BHP's- if you want a lighter pull, you need to change out springs.
Too much gets messed up in you start bending them.

Outside of that, smoother pull and crisper break is what you're getting.

I had one done to my 1st BHP a long time ago by a nice gentleman who knew what he was doing. Changed the sights, removed the mag disconnect and crowned the barrel too... The pull was probably 6ish, 6 1/2 ish totally smooth and clean... with a CRISP break. It never bothered me then, and it was sure the hell better than any Beretta Uncle Sam gave me, so I was happy with it, and was able to score some good hits in good times.

For me it's a "combat pistol": I don't want a 2-3 lb trigger, I prefer something a little heavier.

For a Bulls Eye, yeah sure! Give me a crisp 2 pounder any day, but for an EDC/Duty/Combat handgun, I like a 5, 6, 7, as long as it's smooth and crisp.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I don't expect a SD gun at 2 or 3 lbs. But to me, 4 - 4.5 lb SA pull is very reasonable.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of the BHP pull weight issues come down to how the triggers are designed and work in the gun.
Its much different to "tune" a BHP trigger than it is to do a 1911. I was going to have trigger work done on one some years ago and contacted Cylinder and Slide about the work. They told me then I could expect a five pound pull. I just decided to yank the mag safety on my own and call it a day.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my heavily upgraded BHP because, beside the ergonomics blowing me away, the trigger on my Type 3 from 1989 was just SUPERB. The BHP collector who sold it to me said the gun was in good shape, had some wear for sure, but he got it from a guy who clearly had the trigger optimized and magzine safety removed.

I've since had night sights added, refished by CCR, new springs and grips, etc. My favorite handgun by far...

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’m the second owner of a Novak’s BHP with their “Night Ops” package. The original owner also had them install a Garthwaite trigger. Unfortunately, I don’t have the original paperwork and I’m not sure of the trigger weight. This post has me curious to have that officially measured.

That said, the gun had the magazine disconnect removed and definitely has what I’m labeling as the “best” trigger compared to previous BHPs that I’ve owned (none of which were custom / semi-custom, and only one of which also were sans the magazine disconnect). I’ve still had a bit of a learning curve after shooting assorted 1911s primarily for some years.

Ocular confection:

BHP with Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster and Magholder horizontal magazine carrier.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience, HP’s with mag disconnect removed but in otherwise factory configuration are right at about 5lb 8oz with type 1 sear lever and 5lb 10oz with type 2 sear lever. This is after a couple hundred rounds, a good cleaning, and lube.

I’ve been able to get close to that with a well polished mag disconnect and polished mags, but the weight creeps up with use and grime in the mag disconnect.

My MkIII with BHSS components weighs in right at 4lb 10oz.

I do feel that the factory HP’s are very susceptible to grittiness when the triggers are pulled or pushed to the side, greatly increasing pull weight. Best to have a steaight pull, for many reasons, but polishing the sides of the trigger helps.

I would think that a 5.5-6lb custom trigger would still have the nag disconnect.

Posts: 25 | Registered: February 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I had a full tilt custom Novak back in the day. I think it was called the “Special Ops” package which was supposed to be a pattern build of the FBI HRT gun. Trigger was upper six pounds and horrible. The gun was really nothing special for what I paid for it. Mine did not have a mag disconnect.

I wound up getting rid of it because it was under whelming.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ruber:
I would think that a 5.5-6lb custom trigger would still have the nag disconnect.

Novak's specs say mag disconnect removed, trigger pull 5 - 6 lbs. This is on all of their HP packages (Night Ops, Special Ops, FBI HRT, Classic Custom).

http://www.novaksinc.com/custom-bhp-packages.html

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Ruber:

Novak's specs say mag disconnect removed, trigger pull 5 - 6 lbs. This is on all of their HP packages (Night Ops, Special Ops, FBI HRT, Classic Custom).

http://www.novaksinc.com/custom-bhp-packages.html

I guess in their defense, they really don’t list any trigger work other than remove the disconnect. Just doing that and a very light polishing/deburring should easily land in the 5-6lb range.

I did read on some other sites that the Spec Ops package used to specify a 4.5 lb trigger which is pretty good for an hp.

Posts: 25 | Registered: February 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have both a FN MKIII I built from parts on a bare frame and slide, and a FM Detective I customized. With both I have the no mag disconnect, aftermarket triggers, polished parts, and new aftermarket competition or carry spring sets in the respective pistols which together reduce the trigger pull weight and increase the smoothness.

Q, I'm sure both meet or exceed your requirements.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had two of my BHP worked on by Don Williams of The Action Works in Az. He only did trigger work and remove the mag disconnect. A huge improvement to both of my guns, and one was brand new. I believe that my BHPs have a 4.5 lb. trigger pull, but not positive. A world of difference from the factory stock trigger. Don told me he had done some factory triggers that had measured 11-13 lbs.!! One man shop and a true gentleman to boot.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Hi Power but must admit it will never, ever have a 1911 type of trigger pull. Mine was an Argentine military clone. At first the trigger was really bad .... over time I removed the mag safety disconnect (best bang for the buck), lightened the recoil spring and hammer spring (not ultralight, just lighter) and have finally replaced the sear with a part from Cylinder and Slide.

I now have a very nice 4.5# trigger pull. Not a 1911 trigger pull but still, I'm quite pleased! I would be afraid of a HiPower with a 2# trigger.

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without the mag safety, all you have to do is polish the sear and hammer hooks with some polishing compound and a felt wheel, then Flitz to get it shined up. Tune the sear spring to get the pull weight to 5 lbs, or maybe as low as 4.5 lbs with a lighter hammer spring. I use the Wilson spring kit with duty/combat weight hammer spring but still lighter than stock. Stock is way too heavy.

Just checked, mine is right at 5 lbs and crisp. Not a 1911 but as good as many DA/SA pistols in SA.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post