SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm Owners: Your Thoughts, Please? Update: Snagged One!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm Owners: Your Thoughts, Please? Update: Snagged One! Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
If you like the 1911 platform, don't buy an EMP in 9mm until you have tried a 938.

I fondled a P938. Both it and the Kimber Micro 9 are too small for my hands. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

monoblok, thanks for the comments.

Still on the fence - lol

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Finally managed to get myself down off that pesky ol' fence today

I thought I liked the lighter-colored grips on Springfield's product page, but these darker grips are kind of growing on me.

I've done a bit of dry-firing and darned if the trigger isn't already getting better. In fact: I think the tiny bit of creep it had is gone!

I can't wait to see how it shoots for me.

I want to thank everybody for your comments. Greatly appreciated.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice sir! I’ve got one in .40, it’s a heavy bigger but shots really well. I carried it for a few years, I may break down and get the lighter 9 like yours.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oaklane:
Very nice sir! I’ve got one in .40, it’s a heavy bigger but shots really well. I carried it for a few years, I may break down and get the lighter 9 like yours.

Mine is a mere 5-1/4 oz. heavier than my Walther PPS M2.

I'd have to get the calipers out to be sure, but, eyeballing it, the slide actually looks slightly narrower. It's about the same OAL if you include the beavertail. The grip is a bit longer than my PPS M2 with one of the extended mags in it because the EMP's magazine extends below the bottom of the grip.

It goes without saying the trigger is much mo bettah Smile

posted Hide Post
Congrats....I will bet that you find it to your liking!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
IT'S A GUN! Shoot it and learn to use it! Creep is a state of mind. If you aren't shooting for money go with marketing hype for perfection! Is this just another "look at me"?

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Good buddy who is a retired Marine gunnery sergeant loves the 1911 (of course in 45acp)... happiest I've seen him was when we took a course at the Sig Academy together... Shooting a pistol at distance. He was nailing that steel silhouette at 120 yards!

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great choice! I love my Glocks but my EMP will be the last one I'd sell. Still kicking my self in the butt by not buying a .40 EMP when I saw them for sale on the dirt cheap.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's mine:

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One complaint I have with mine is that I have the dark grip on one side and a completely light one on the other side. Total Jekyll and Hyde. Lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Here's mine:

This is pretty funny. I recall reading, in one or two reviews, reviewers taking shots at the prominent "EMP Cal 9mm" on the left side of the slide. I guess Springfield took those comments to heart, because now the left side looks like...

It's almost as if they said "You want understated? We'll give you understated!"

posted Hide Post
That looks better. But mine is such a sweet-shooter, I'd not give it up.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
That looks better. But mine is such a sweet-shooter, I'd not give it up.

Oh, hell no! Neither would I. I generally don't pay that kind of thing much mind. I only mentioned it, in this case, for the amusement factor Smile

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Here’s mine and it’s actually on the CA roster

home style buffet menu

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have the 4” model and it’s decent enough. No failures to report though I just can’t get used to the small grip. Texture is solid though just too thin IMHO. The gun was handed down to me by a family member so I can’t really complain. Nice gun, but not worth the $1200+ they are around here.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
... I just can’t get used to the small grip. Texture is solid though just too thin IMHO.

I would imagine one can purchase thicker grip panels.

FWIW: I have big hands. Always wear XL gloves--and sometimes even those are a tight fit. The grip on my EMP suits me just fine.

I added one of these: Pearce Grips PG-OM1 Rubber Finger Groove Insert for Compact 1911 to my Colt Defender and it made a world of difference in its handling. I may do the same for my EMP.

quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Nice gun, but not worth the $1200+ they are around here.

They are spendy. No question about that. But it does seem a very high-quality pistol. Had mine apart, today, to give it its initial cleaning (it was one of the cleaner pistols I've purchased) and lube. I saw literally nothing inside to give me pause.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. IIRC, my SIG P239 SAS was north of $900, back in 2005. That would be about $1200 in today's dollar. So far this EMP strikes me as being every bit as well-made as my P239 SAS.

posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

I seriously considered the EMP several years ago, but picked the Dan Wesson ECO instead. Honestly, I do not know if I would have been equally or more happy with the EMP vs. ECO.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
Congratulations!

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
I seriously considered the EMP several years ago, but picked the Dan Wesson ECO instead. Honestly, I do not know if I would have been equally or more happy with the EMP vs. ECO.

Hard to say "no" to a DW Smile, but, even were it still available and were it the same price, I'd probably have still gone with the EMP for the shorter length. I really wanted a 1911 in as close-as-possible a size to my PPS M2.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Looked at the EMP when they first came out, almost bought one in 40 but it just didn't work out.

From all the research I did then was that the weakness if one could call it that was to keep fresh springs in them. Some reported malfunctions that fresh springs fixed.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
From all the research I did then was that the weakness if one could call it that was to keep fresh springs in them. Some reported malfunctions that fresh springs fixed.

Isn't that pretty much true of all compact pistols? Particularly those that are adaptations of the 1911, IIRC?

E.g.: I believe I've read the springs in my Colt Defender needed frequent replacement?