SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me decide...glock 42/43 or 6 shot revolver
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide...glock 42/43 or 6 shot revolver Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have all those options and prefer my G42. It’s easy to handle and very accurate. The 380 round is no mean manstopper though with today’s propellants and technology it is actually decent with the right load. I don’t know anyone who would want to stand on the other end of one.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Of your short list, I'd opt for the 43. Slim, and lots of firepower and concealability. As for a revolver, I'd opt for a compromise and go with the five shot SP101 .357; I can shoot magnum loads all day long and never feel like I've had too much.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
If you can find one, a Ruger Service or Speed 6 with a 2 3/4 barrel in 357 magnum is a pretty sweet deal for carry. And they don't break.

I'll throw in another vote for this. I just picked up a used and abused speed six on an impulse...got it as a trade, but he had it listed for $329. The trigger is not as good as my GP100, but it's about on par with my sp101, and it holds 6. That 2 3/4" barrel is a nice handy length, too. It's kind of heavy, but that helps with the recoil of full-house magnums.

If you've got the money to spend, the Kimber K6S looks really nice... especially now that they have a DA/SA variant. I realize that it may not be the most practical choice, but for "just a fun gun" I'll take a revolver over a plastic semi-auto any day.

Posts: 8585 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I have all those options and prefer my G42. It’s easy to handle and very accurate. The 380 round is no mean manstopper though with today’s propellants and technology it is actually decent with the right load. I don’t know anyone who would want to stand on the other end of one.

I fall into the same category: I have all those choices; but the G42 is what I love to shoot and what I carry. In all fairness though I must say the main reason I carry a 380 is because I believe in being proficient with a carry gun and to do so a good deal of practice helps maintain that proficiency. The G42 is an easy shooter while still being light weight and a breeze to carry. It does not irritate my arthritis.
FWIW someone mentioned 6 rounds is better than 5 ignoring the fact that the 42 holds 6 in the mag and one in the chute making 7 in all.
As far as potency goes, of course accuracy is the most important factor but keep in mind also the 380 round has been around for 90 years and for 50 of those years has been used by military and police in Europe. I have full confidence in its ability to stop a threat.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikey357:
I'm usually the first one to suggest a Smith & Wesson when the subject of Revolvers comes up, but I'm gonna' suggest something different--Look at a mid-to-late 70's Colt Cobra or Agent--Aluminum Frame, weighs about 16 ounces, SIX SHOTS and the same size as the Kimber K6S--What's not to like??? Smile

I was thinking this same thing, and would also consider going pre '72, though the 73 on are sleeker.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbuck47:
quote:
Originally posted by mikey357:
I'm usually the first one to suggest a Smith & Wesson when the subject of Revolvers comes up, but I'm gonna' suggest something different--Look at a mid-to-late 70's Colt Cobra or Agent--Aluminum Frame, weighs about 16 ounces, SIX SHOTS and the same size as the Kimber K6S--What's not to like??? Smile

I was thinking this same thing, and would also consider going pre '72, though the 73 on are sleeker.

I had a Colt Detective Special that I stupidly sold a few years ago, the only drawback was it didn't have the shrouded ejector. Hence the search for another 6 shot.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neither...and I've tried both of your stated preferences...I've recently gone to a Sig P365 for just the same reasons. Mine (a Feb '19 build) has been flawless for 1050 rounds now...FMJ's, JHP's, as well as my own home brewed LSWC's...all have fed, fired, and ejected with perfect reliability. And...it pocket carries as easily as my M60 Smith.

The P365 shoots so well, (like a much bigger gun many have correctly stated), that it's my day to day carry piece. I seriously doubt you can do any better...outstanding sights for day or night use, and with 10+1 rounds of 9mm...you've got some options that a smaller capacity piece does not offer.

YMMv, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post