SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Poll: Your preferred handgun action for self defense?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Your preferred handgun action for self defense? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Door Number One, Monte.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107610 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
DAK is my first preference for SD.

(therefore LEM is also viable alternative)

Yes, prefer a hammer, dammit - git off my lawn!

That being said, this CZ75BD keeps finding its way onto my hip.

Mebbe, when things settle down, CGW will be so kind as to do the favor of a DAO conversion, but this pistole is just so right the way it is for how things are these days.

God bless!

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Good Great Epiphanies... different preferences... who would have thunk it?

I prefer the DA/SA for the simple reasons I like the extra precaution of that long slightly heavier trigger pull on the first round and I've never had a problem hitting what I aimed at with it...(well, usually). Just keep seeing on occasion on the internet about that 'Glock Trigger" accidental discharge...(yes, I know, it's the internet). With that said, my Sig P320 is the derdest shootingist rootytootenest... pistol I own.

Oh and ersatzknarf: I agree with you on dogs...
the worst thing about owning a dog is they don't live as long as we do.... hurts way too much when you lose one....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Single Action... 1911 DW Commander Lightweight CCO
Glock 19
Transitioned away from DA/SA.
The Sig P365 has caught my attention.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You really have to experience the "NY Glock Trigger, about 12lbs" to really dislike it. I understand but do not agree with the reasoning behind it.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of my handguns for pure self defense are DA/SA....great triggers, reliable actions, solid feel...a weapon I can count on no matter time of day or night. P220, P226, P239. Now have my first striker, P365, and carrying it more than the others but mostly due to size/capacity and not anything to do with action. If I could have found a DA/SA in the same size and capacity...I would have bought it in a heart beat from SIG. I dont like changing muscle memory...been shooting same action and setup since 1996.
I dont believe all the hype about striker fired being vastly superior than DA/SA....maybe in competition but as pure self defense at close ranges under duress with adrenaline and potentially a fight/flight situation....give me my DA/SA.
Like I said, I am carrying the P365 mostly now...but NOT because it is a striker...more for its size and capacity. I will repeat...if SIG had come out with DA/SA in that size with that or near capacity....I would have dropped the P365 and got the other instead.

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I started on DA/SA guns in the early 1990s. Transitioned to 1911s after the 94 ban and started competing with them. I had a few Glocks but never really liked the trigger or ergonomics. It wasn’t until I started training formally that I really understood how to run a trigger... any trigger. Up until that time, I was running around slapping the crap out of every type of trigger I could find. Sometimes I had really great competitions or range sessions and other times they were mediocre. I lacked consistency with everything. One of the best shooters I ever competed with, would show up with a P239 and a used ragtag holster setup. He would then run circles around guys with there tricked up G34s and their bunny fart reloads. I wish I started my investment into training when I first got into defensive shooting instead of always buying new gear. It’s a mistake that I made sure wasn’t made by my now adult (21) son. After his first formal 2 day class, he commented that the CCW course to get your permit in TN should be like the course we had just completed.

I choose to run striker fired guns for self defense because it’s what I train with the most. I am fast and accurate and attaining better muscle memory every day. The concept of running any trigger isn’t as different as most people believe it to be amongst the different platforms. I would feel just as comfortable carrying and deploying a DA/SA or a 1911 as I am with a striker fired pistol.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
My vote was for Striker fired mostly because it's what I've known for almost 30 years now...

But also:
-a consistent trigger pull on each and every round.
-simple design - less to fail
-striker guns seem to be smaller/lighter than other designs...though that may just be a function of the current marketplace.

If not striker I would go with revolvers or DA/SA (also called TDA) semi's...especially since I am really enjoying the transition to appendix carry.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I like the DA/SA but carry the P365. What does that make me? Big Grin

Bi-Tactical!

Bi-tactically curious.

I prefer pan-tactical

I carry a stricker fired pistol most times because they are faster (for me) to get solid A zone hits, and I won't cry at night if they go into an evidence locker.

But I prefer SA or a good DA/SA revolver

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK LEM or DA revolver

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
226 is my go to home defense, just to get me to my rifle. P365 is my carry gun. Easy to conceal and a sweet trigger and capacity. I like glock but just can't click with that trigger. Perhaps I haven't practiced enough with it but it just never called to m like the 226 did. It is wonderful to be able to choose between the the two though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Voted SA (1911), but my next favorite would be a DA revolver and, after that, a striker-fired pistol (Glock 26). I keep in good practice with all, but the 1911s get the most carry- and range-time.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Striker Fired.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Striker.

But I train with my various guns all the time so I can switch back and forth if needed. I primarily carry Glocks. My SIG P228 and P229 collect dust because they are heavy. Yet I carry my Langdon Centurion 92 from time to time and a Staccato C2 as well. I even throw in my HK VP9 with paddle release from time to time.

But I like to carry Glocks because if one gets taken away for evidence, it’s cheap to replace.

Also my issued duty weapon is a Glock.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
after using guns for 30 years I'm good with any action, hey what about SA revolvers Smile

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I voted striker fired.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
P220 SAO Legion 45 ACP. If not that it would be a 1911 TRP professional. Because I am old and like hammers and firing pins and big, fat bullets that go thump at both ends. My pistols seem to be getting bigger and heavier. Maybe I am overcompensating for something......

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
My P228 or P229/9mm. I just haven't shot the others enough.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I am comfortable carrying any handgun that requires only a trigger pull to fire.

Guns that require two actions, such as releasing a safety, followed by a trigger pull are now for target shooting.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I have the HK 45c in LEM out right now as the weather turns. I don’t discriminate though, I’ll carry my LC9 almost as much, so I guess I’m BI-tac too!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post