SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Poll: Your preferred handgun action for self defense?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Your preferred handgun action for self defense? Login/Join 
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Striker fired. Started out DA/SA, but eventually shifted to Glock after using SAO for a while. I’m not using government money for training, so the simplicity of the Glock won out.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
DA/SA for me as a primary.

Next in line is single action 1911 style.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am kinda shocked in 2020 that the DA/SA guys are edging out the strikers.

I salute my fellow Luddite troglodytes Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I carried the 1911 when I enlisted.

I’m partial to the 1911 platform.

Over my military and police careers I have carried:
1911 SA
M9 DA/SA
Sig 229 DAK
SIG 226 DA/SA

I have owned over 50 different guns since the end of the 80s....I settled on the G19. I was an armorer in the military and as a cop. I find that KISS is the way to go. My USPSA, gun games is won by people using a 1911 platform year after year after year. But I carry a G19 because of the KISS theory. My G19 always works. Always.

My USPSA gun is a STI 2011...the gun is a spectacular gun, but a little sand in the mag will lock it up. Which is why I won’t carry it for EDC. My first 1911 sounded like a rock in a 55gallon drum but it always worked. My Glock is like that 1911....it always works.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Daylight and outside in the woods, I prefer my SP101 in 357mag. Gen4 G23 the rest of the time!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always liked my H&K LEM guns. I'm OK with DA/SA also. As for striker fired I do have a P365 I carry occasionally and a VP9 that is in my EDC rotation.

PLWASE, not to start a discussion but I do shoot 1911's best however, I do not like a safety on my EDC and the limited capacity is a negative. Of course I could try to carry my 3lb CZ TSO with 2lb trigger and 20+1 capacity but that has a safety also.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I carried and shot striker guns almost exclusively for years (since like 2009ish), but within the last year have converted to SAO.

I like the trigger pull and don't find the safety on a 1911/2011 to be anything other than intuitive to deactivate during presentation.

I still have a soft spot for DA/SA SIGs, but, to be honest, I have this recurring nightmare where I need to use my 229 and just can't ever pull my way through the DA stroke. Eek

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have this recurring nightmare where I need to use my 229 and just can't ever pull my way through the DA stroke.

I think a great number of us who own any kind of weapons for any kind of perceived threat have had “those dreams”

-The impossible trigger pull
-The I know I’m hitting him why won’t he stop.
-The spontaneously disassembling gun (my personal favorite. Smile)

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I voted striker, because I've eventually evolved to that, coming from DA/SA.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't use DA/SA for defense. I still love shooting them.

I still use revolvers for sometimes carry, and full time home defense along with my VP9, etc.

Did I miss the "all the above" selection? Cool

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Striker. Though I did give DA/SA a try for six months, about 12 years ago. And I did use a P238 as my 'convenience' backup for a couple of years. Those are the only 'indiscretions' in almost 31 years.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the proficiency concern with DA/SA typically prompts a personal choice between striker or SA w/ safety. ie Which is worse? Shooting oneself in the Johnson or forgetting to thumb off the safety when needed?

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
DA/SA Revolver, in 44 or 454, even 357Mag...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my. So surprised to see DA/SA falling behind striker on Sigforum.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big DA/SA fan but I've settled into striker fired handguns for defensive use.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Traditional da/sa. Ppk

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've been a 1911 user for well over 50 years so, like MikeinNC, it is a natural for me.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I've been a 1911 user for well over 50 years so, like MikeinNC, it is a natural for me.

Took the words right off my keyboard and posted before I had the chance. It's what I'm comfortable with and it has seen me through some rough times.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a comment on DA?SA. The first gun I used in USPSA Limited 10 was a Sig P226 .40 before I moved on to a 1911. In the excitement of competition I was rarely bothered by the DA trigger. Also Sig did a really nice "Action" job later on the DA/SA that really made it better.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
My preferred is a single-action revolver because that is what I started with in 1952. I prefer a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm for urban self-defense. I prefer a double-action revolver in .44 magnum or .454 Casull for woods self-defense.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’m not old yet.

Get off my lawn.