SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shield Arms announces 9 round magazine for the Glock 43
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shield Arms announces 9 round magazine for the Glock 43 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It's a change for the positive as I see it.

I've not particularly liked the extended base plate solutions. So many of these designs took the micro compact G43 and turned it into something as tall as a G19. After having a Pearce extension (on a G23 mag) deconstruct on a range visit, I really don't trust any of the poly extensions, though I will admit the Vickers/Tango Down plates that I've run on a couple of my G43 mags have yet to dislodge themselves in a couple of years of range use. But it's still about trust, and I'd not been able to reach that point before I parked my G43 in the safe and switched to the P365 as my secondary carry option. And then there's the relative costs, especially with the alloy designs. Adding a couple of extra rounds using Taran bases to two magazines is like buying three new factory six-rounders. Sure they're still small mags but the extension math just never made much financial sense to me. 18 more rounds vs 4. Just work on fast reloads...I guess...

I'm still surprised at how popular the G43 is. We still sell a lot of them, even AFTER the customer handles the G43X and is told about the clear capacity advantages of the newer design. Must be the J-Frame 'it-only-takes-one-shot' mentality. Wink Having a relatively compact 9-round option at least gives the G43 a bit more relevancy without the need for hokey-looking (and carrying) extensions. At the very least it makes my 'retired' G43 more relevant again, though it'll be hard to unseat the smaller P365 or my G43X/Shield 15s from that secondary carry role. The Shield mags have been good in the G43X so far, so I'll probably buy a few for the G43 anyways. I suppose least compared to other single-stack options, the G43 is now as good if not better in terms of firepower.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
How many of those people have already put Taran, Pearce, Hyve, etc. baseplates on their mags, or installed Magguts spring kits (with or without the +2 baseplate)? There have been a lot of ways to add capacity to the G43 on the market for a long time.

The 15 round 43X magazine was transformative. In point of fact, I think a lot of 43Xs were sold specifically because the 15 round mag was available. I don't see this as transformative. It's barely evolutionary. If they made a 10 round flush fit (and maybe a 12 round with an extension also), I think it would get a lot more interest. I don't think too many of these will sell, despite the huge number of G43 non-Xs out there.

We get it, you won't be buying any. Good for you.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely in.

I felt the lack of firepower with the original 43 mags, and eventually went to a 48 for most carry. But with the magguts +2, I've been carrying the 43 a lot more. Same capacity as the classic 9mm's -- Luger, P38, P210, P6, P7, M39, etc.

I do like the firepower of the 48/43x, but with a techna-clip, the 43 disappears IWB like nothing I've ever used.

9-round mags will firmly plant the little 43 into the realm of "firepower just isn't an issue."

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post