SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Light on bedside gun?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light on bedside gun? Login/Join 
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
I too keep a light on my P226 with the extended 21 rd magazine.

A handheld is also available if needed to get around, but if I hear someone in my home, I'm grabbing only one thing...

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have my P229, spare mags and a detached Surefire at night. I also have my downstairs lights on a remote control box in my bedroom. If I hear suspicious noises at night I have the option of flipping all/some of the downstairs lights on. Most likely I'm going to hear an Aw S--t and running feet.

This right there is a great point. A number of years back when I was a VERY young cop, we did some building search training where I got paired up with a seasoned veteran who was just about to retire. We made entry into this office building and I'm pieing corners and using my momentary off/on switch and being all tactical...and the old guy just flips the lights on. His point: it evens the playing field, and can even give you the advantage. You know it's coming and it's going to scare or even temporarily blind anybody who's been hiding in the dark. And if you're working your way through the building with a flashlight, he can see you coming way before you're going to see him, no matter how much you flip that flashlight on and off. At least having the lights on gives you an even playing field.

That said, there are times where you don't have access to structural lighting. You've gotta have a portable light source. I don't get the aversion to WMLS. Do you trust yourself not to muzzle people when there's not a light on your gun? Why would that change when you put a light on it? Sure there are some idiots out there who do stupid stuff with them, but that doesn't have to be you...make good choices!

Personally, I carry 2 handhelds on me at work, and at home I keep one on my nightstand, and have others handy around the house. But those handhelds might be hard to find/get knocked to the floor in the dark, dropped at the point of contact, etc. Having a light mounted to my work and bedside guns means that if I've got a gun, I've got a light. I shoot better and can better retain the weapon with two hands.

I can illuminate a room adequately to see what's going on without pointing my gun at the occupants...the light has enough spill for that. And if the occupant needs a gun pointed at them, well, I can do that too. It's just another tool...it's all about how you use it.

Posts: 8575 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both. Due to layout and only one other adult to account for , I typically would have no need to leave current location. Large dog will be barking. I use the handheld typically , but will splash WML on Celing (white) at distance and angle to confuse intruder if needed as to my location.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with 92. I have a wml on my bedside gun and I have a handheld as well. Just because someone else does dumb shit doesn't mean you have to. I think even my mom told me that at one point. lol

In my house I am not trying to be tactical. I am playing the odds. Barking dog, lights on, call the cops, I am betting whoever entered my house wants out of my house at this point. If he doesn't then its a bad day for everyone at that point, one way or the other.

So, yea on the light. Yes on the handheld. Yes on the phone next to bed for 911 call preferably cell and landline. Walk through it all in your head. Chair fly it is what pilots call it. First time something bad happens isn't the first time you should think about your options.

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Both I literally cannot imagine doing the afore mentioned admin stuff with a weapon light. (Reading a license, evidence search etc.) that is both comical and terrifying at the same time.

I have weapon lights on many of my guns. I use hand held lights damn near every day for things that once again would be both comical and terrifying if I was using the weapon lights. I mean I guess a detached weapon light is useable enough in that regard. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have a flashlight on my nightstand but it's just a task light. A Surefire X300 is mounted on my G17.

You have only two hands. If you're holding a pistol in one hand and a flashlight in the other, you done run outta hands.

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I take advantage of the fact that a WML will still function if you remove it from the weapon. Always have the ability to stick it back on.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bnz42:
Yep! P228R

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My issue with removing wml’s to use as handhelds is that none of mine necessarily remove easily. And all of them require me to put my hand near the muzzle in a very amped up scenario. Nope. Wml will remain where it is till the event is over and my boss returns to normal.

As for only 2 hands. That is true but my pajamas have pockets so I don’t mind storing a flashlight or a phone in them. Now if you are sleeping commando that’s on you. Lol

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Last time I had a pair of pajamas they had little horsies on them.

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Just the light mounted to my P09. Wouldn't want to have a handheld on the night stand. Might mix it up with the fleshlight in the heat of the moment. Razz

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, this discussion has taken an unexpected turn. lol

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Just the light mounted to my P09. Wouldn't want to have a handheld on the night stand. Might mix it up with the fleshlight in the heat of the moment. Razz

Well... that would scare off intruders. Or maybe invite more... not sure how that would play out.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It's a completely different "Chack, chack" speech.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Another option is to "do both". Keep the light on the gun switched off, as you sweep the handheld with the other hand. If need be, you can stuff the handheld into a pocket or even drop it completely and switch to the mounted WML depending on the situation.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Both for me.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
One more for having both available..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Just a WML for me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My bedside gun has always been my Glock 21 with a WML. I keep a handheld near the bed too for when the power goes out and I need to move around when there's no threats.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIG 220 with light. One handed grab and I've got a best of both worlds. I keep a Katana underneath the bed in case of Ninja's.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post