SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Light on bedside gun?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light on bedside gun? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Do you mount a light on your bedside weapon? Is this a good idea or is it better to carry one in the support hand?

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both a handheld and a wml on a g34 sitting on my night stand. It's good to have options and I'd rather search around the house with a flashlight due to kids in the house.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you mount a light on your bedside weapon? Is this a good idea or is it better to carry one in the support hand?

It's a better idea to have both. If I want to look at something without muzzle sweeping it, I have the flashlight. If I need to hold a light on someone while I shoot them, a weapon light excels at that.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Both here as well.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also both by bedside. If I just need a flashlight I do not want to be using one mounted to a gun. If I ever need a WML I will use that not the flashlight.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I don't think a light should be put on a gun but I've been told more than once here that I am wrong. I have a flash light and pistol beside my bed.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Both.

Hopefully I won't need any of them, but like to have options if the situation presents itself.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pistol that I'm carrying goes on the nightstand but doesn't have a light mounted. I do have a handheld on the nightstand though.
First thing I would grab if there's trouble in the house would be the Mossberg and that does have a light mounted on it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Use both. Handheld is nice if you aren’t actively aiming or shooting at someone, and have a free hand. The whole point of a “bedside” gun is that those things are very possible. Don’t plan for the best outcome.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Both. And they are used independently of each other, not together. I'm a strong believer in having one hand free when using a home defense handgun.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Both gives options that just one does not.

For a long time I saw no need for a handgun-mounted light, and believed that a handheld was good enough. Then I was involved in an exercise requiring moving through and searching confined spaces, and that immediately demonstrated why also having a weapon light was essential.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Both.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Handheld light only.

Set up an ambush and watch their progress toward you through seeing their flashlight beam.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handheld (two).

In my case it's a training issue. I've got a zillion reps on the flat range and in the shoothouse, let alone in the field, using a handheld light and at this point in my career and life I'll never hit that mark with a WML.

I also came from a place where WMLs were issued but optional. I saw too many abuses of the lights that it sort of soured me on the concept. Of course it boils down to training, policy & procedure and the enforcement thereof.

Hypocrite that I am, all my long guns have lights.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
I saw too many abuses of the lights ....

What sorts of abuses?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Had both, until I stupidly put the wrong batteries in the Surefire and burned out the emitter

Keep meaning to track-down the after-market LED replacements for older Surefire flashlights and keep forgetting.
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
What sorts of abuses?
My guess would be using the WML like a flash light.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

What sorts of abuses?

Ensigmatic hit it - Deputies were using the WML when a handheld light should have been used. Examples include general searching, including searching for evidence at a crime scene, to reading VIN numbers, to in one particularly egregious case, trying read an operator's license with a high-powered WML while holding it in the copper's reactionary hand, effectively muzzling up his own paw.

It wasn't like the guys and gals weren't issued handheld lights. I don't know if it was laziness or what, but it seemed endemic. Supervisors were extremely lax in calling anyone out about it.

FWIW, I carried a 2 cell handheld light in place of a second spare magazine on my belt while a detective. All the other dicks would struggle around with their cell phone lights. I needed a light far more often than a third mag. I'm retired now, but to this day I don't leave the house without a light suitable for fighting with.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a wml on my P226. IMHO, it's a must. I've heard and read many saying you don't need one, just a handheld light. So, these people don't ever use a long gun for HD. Have you ever tried using a handheld light while clearing with a rifle or shotgun?

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's more involved than mounted or unmounted lights. Depends on # of occupants, home layout, chosen tactics/decisions and other things.

I have my P229, spare mags and a detached Surefire at night. I also have my downstairs lights on a remote control box in my bedroom. If I hear suspicious noises at night I have the option of flipping all/some of the downstairs lights on. Most likely I'm going to hear an Aw S--t and running feet.

I live alone, so I don't have to worry about other friendlies being downstairs. Regardless, no way in Hell I'm going down and playing SWAT team room-to-room. Call 911, esconce, listen and have gun trained on bedroom door or stairway.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ensigmatic hit it

Okay, thanks.
It is a little hard to imagine anyone with any sense at all doing those things, but it’s obviously possible. As you say, it should have been addressed by supervisors and anyone else who was responsible for firearms safety. But of course simply because other people don’t do things correctly shouldn’t affect what we choose and do.

6.4/93.6

— Plato