SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Paging Ken@Hogue re: New P226 CONTOUR CLASSIC G10 grips
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging Ken@Hogue re: New P226 CONTOUR CLASSIC G10 grips Login/Join 
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
This thread got me to look at the offerings and then make a purchase. The Classics are a nice improvement on my MK25 - well done.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I picked up a P229 SAS this week and it has the E2 grips on it, which I don't think I like. I've got big hands and I miss the backstrap swell of the traditional Sig factory plastic grips. I've always felt that the P229 factory grips were kind of fat, though, especially in the area up by the decocker and slide catch. Can anybody describe how these compare to the standard factory plastics in that area?

Unfortunately I don't have a way to put hands on these to try them. I have a spare set of factory plastics already, so I hate to drop $100 on these if they're not going to be significantly better in that area.

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
...in the area up by the decocker and slide catch. Can anybody describe how these compare to the standard factory plastics in that area?

The area still has the "bulge" necessary to accommodate the underlying hardware, but it is slimmer than that on the factory plastic grips.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that's info was what I was looking for. The more aggressive checkering is an added bonus.

Greg Cote just got more of my money.

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Aaaaand it's already shipped. Greg Cote is the man!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sadly, they're going back. They didn't allow the decocker enough travel to decock the gun. The lever was bottoming out against the grip panels. It was very close, and I probably could have fixed it with a little bit of filing, or tweaking the lever a bit, but I didn't want to make any permanent modifications because of the second issue.

They are thicker than the factory panels...significantly so in the palm swell area. This pushes my hand around the side of the gun instead of centering it along the backstrap. They were very nice, well-made grips and I really liked the texture, but the shape just doesn't work for me. Combined with the decocker problem, they're a no-go. Thankfully Greg is great to work with and they are on their way back for a refund.

It's currently wearing factory plastic panels, which are acceptable. If I had exactly what I wanted, it would be a grip that is the same thickness as the E2, with the E2 texture, but retaining the backstrap hump of the regular grips to provide proper length of pull and naturally drive my hand towards the top of the grip on the draw. I'm probably going to have to just be content with the plastics, though, since there aren't many options out there for the P229 these days.

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you posted that, I want a thinner not fatter grip also.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm glad you posted that, I want a thinner not fatter grip also.

Grips are a hard thing to buy online because they interface differently with every person's hand. When I find a grip I like I buy a bunch because there's no telling if you'll ever find them again.

I really wish there was a local place where I could try all the options. The closest I've ever come to that was the Lok grips booth at NRAAM, but that was a year ago and they don't make grips for the P229.