SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK P30… to LEM or not?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK P30… to LEM or not? Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Everyone is different - Grumpy called it, try one first. I have a light LEM HK P30SK that I enjoy quite a bit, and as someone pointed out with LEM bad habits will show up. But working it made me better, as well as my wife. The best comparison I could give is like a really light smooth revolver trigger.

These days the P30SK is neither fish nor fowl being a bit too small and also a bit too big in comparison to the P365, etc. Still really enjoy it but these days it goes to the range or sits in the safe.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't like the LEM when I first tried it. Since I've converted almost all of my H&K's to it. It takes a little getting used to but once you do IMHO it's a far superior option.

H&K double actions to me feel too heavy and I don't like the take up and drop off. Older Sigs had a far superior double action IMHO.

I see the LEM trigger as a Striker type trigger with a hammer and restrike possibility. The take-up, release and reset is similar to other Striker fired pistols that I shoot so less cross training to work with a double action first shot. With the LEM you can transition back and forth with striker fired pistols far easier than having one with a heavy double action first shot. Being able to restrike a dud primer however is nearly a moot point IMO, if a primer didn't go off with the first hit a second one is exceedingly rarely going to make it fire. I'd rather train to eject any dud immediately.

Just my 2cents from a normal shooter...........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I tried the LEM trigger years ago and didn't care for it. I am waiting for my LGS to get a P30S with the three mags and night sights in. It's been a few months now and I am still waiting. I much prefer to carry my HKs cocked and locked with the single action trigger pull.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned both. I far prefer the DA/SA version. The LEM never felt natural. I sold the LEM, kept the p30s.

Posts: 11 | Registered: July 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I’m leaning towards DA/SA, just for conformity if nothing else. Whichever I go with will be getting a trip to see Bruce Gray.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is that I don’t really like LEM but I’m probably going to convert my USP Expert to LEM. HK triggers just aren’t good. LEM is at least workably not that bad. Lol

If you are willing to put in the time I think you might like LEM. If you jump around platforms you might not.

I sound like I hate LEM. I kinda do but somehow I keep buying them so maybe I don’t. I don’t know. Shoot one first is good advice.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a P30L v3 and didnt like the trigger reset or the shape of the trigger in DA, compared to my P226 Tacops. I bought GG flat trigger and reset kit and installed it and it is a lot better. The flat trigger makes the long pull a lot better on my trigger finger.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
I have an HK P30 in V3. I did not like the LEM trigger and am still a fan of DA/SA for my bedside pistols. My P30's trigger has smoothed out over the years and doesn't feel as heavy as some newer HK's I have dry fired.

I did purchase the SRT kit from Grayguns and some springs from HK Parts and Lazy Wolf, but have yet to install it. I've put in similar parts to my P229R and hope my P30 will be comparable once I get everything installed.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1050 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
To me, the LEM is a single action 2 stage trigger with a whole lot of slack in the first stage. On its own, I like it and could probably get pretty proficient with it quickly. I could just never get comfortable with it while shooting other pistols, which is weird because I routinely shoot everything from single action 1911s with match triggers to box stock Glocks and don’t have issues switching back and forth. LEM is a try before you buy prospect.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the LEM. Never cared for HK in DA/SA.

Favorite gun I have is a P30L LEM with Grayguns Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package.

Posts: 1900 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: October 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
The LEM with Bruce’s SRT drop-in kit is pretty incredible…

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of HK's.
Only one in LEM (USP 45 with light LEM).
I don't mind it but overall my preference is the DA/SA.

Posts: 22905 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There is absolutely nothing mechanically wrong with the LEM trigger and I HATE IT.

I Am in the you either love it or hate it camp and I hate it. DA/SA all day everyday for me. If I want something to approximate the single trigger pull of a striker……..I’ll use a striker. Smile

Once again though. This is only personal opinion. There is nothing inherently wrong with the system and it’s a great option for those who like it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Grey Guns short reset kit did it for me. Made all the difference in the world.

Posts: 473 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a specific purpose for this gun (competition, carry, etc), or just is it just to have?

For what it's worth, I think this OP (thread) holds up really well. Pistol-Forum: Why I like the LEM as a street trigger.

In a concealed carry context, where jailbait splits aren't a thing, I can shoot the LEM as well as anything. It wouldn't be my first choice for a USPSA/IDPA trigger.

If you're anywhere near DFW, I have a P30 LEM in either a V4 or "TLG" configuration that you're welcome to try.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If the main use is going to the range where the buddy’s are shooting 1911s, the LEM trigger wouldn’t be a top choice. Yes it would work, but never gonna compare to shooting 15-20 yard targets with the 1911.

The LEM is more for CC or as a duty gun. I looked at the article linked above, that’s close to what I feel about LEM.

If the main reason is to go to the range, or even have around for ‘home defense’, I’d get something else.

A have a few in ‘lite’ and standard LEM. My absolute favorite CC gun is the p2000sk, standard LEM. I have both 40 & 9mm versions. As always, opinions & intended uses vary.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’d go DA/SA then send it to Robert Burke immediately. Once he’s done the HK DA/SA is good. Once you get say 2k rounds through it, it’s even better. The reset and DA are the issue, and Robert fixes both.

good luck. I’m quite fond of my P30/P30sk pair. Best grip I have ever used on a pistol. P30 now has 17rd flush magazines.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I recently acquired a P30 LEM. This thing is going to take a LOT of work getting used to.
People bitched about the P250 and love this thing? I dont get it.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
I recently acquired a P30 LEM. This thing is going to take a LOT of work getting used to.
People bitched about the P250 and love this thing? I dont get it.

AHEM……..SOME PEOPLE love them. Wink. I am not one. Smile

I do, however, very much like the P30.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
Took me a while to learn to love the 250, maybe it will be the same with LEM. If I can afford more .40 ammo.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post