SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK P30… to LEM or not?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK P30… to LEM or not? Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I’m looking to pick up a P30 soon and am having a hard time deciding on DA/SA or LEM. I have no LEM Hk’s currently, but have shot the variant on a couple of occasions. It was odd, but I’m sure training would work through this. All of my handguns, HK or not, are either striker guns or DA/SA. I’m a little concerned about introducing another trigger system into the fray. This would be a potential carry piece, otherwise I wouldn’t think so hard on it. I’m kinda inclined to get a V3 (DA/SA) and send it to Bruce Grey, but then again I can’t decide for sure. Thoughts?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
Love the P30 with the light LEM. I know...decisions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JMag,

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I know the simple answer is to train with the LEM, but if I can already shoot DA/SA and striker guns relatively well…. Is it wise to introduce a new trigger system? Is there a valid reason to introduce it?

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I prefer the P30 with Light LEM.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a light LEM P30sk love it! It did take about 500 rounds to get used to it. It will show you your flaws since it has a lot of take up before firing. But on the other hand it made me shoot other guns better since it made me lose my flaws. I’ve been a Da/Sa fan since I took up the sport but wish every gun I have was light LEM now.

Posts: 120 | Location: Locust Grove, Virginia | Registered: November 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
While I don’t have a P30, I do have a P2000 V3 DA/SA. I previously had the LEM. In both variants I changed the spring for a lighter trigger pull. I shot the current DA/SA better than I did the LEM and this is the only DA/SA I own, others are striker fired.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both a P30 V3 and V1. Both in 9mm. I grew up shooting da/sa. I prefer the V1. It really fun to shoot. The long take up takes a bit of getting used to.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love/hate my LEM’s. Shooting a pins match this morning with my USP Custom Combat (it’s called something like that) with their upgraded LEM trigger, overtravel screw etc. It’s a great trigger that I am meh about.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To each their own I guess. I grew up on
Smith 3rd Gens.

Transitioning to Sig's DA/SA guns I found easy. Sig's trigger felt natural to me.

HK's DA/SA I found challenging. I tried hard because I liked the quality of the HKs but always felt like I was fighting the trigger.

I much prefer the LEM trigger. Yes it is a little different but I find it controllable and consistent and easy to shoot.

My vote is LEM.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you'd have to try it for a while and make a decision.
I had a few HK's in LEM and liked it but I fell into a DAK Sig and sold all the HK's. Much preferred DAK over LEM.
Now it's all striker fired.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned both, currently just v3 models at this time. My current P30 has a surprisely good trigger from the factory, not great but one of the better HK triggers I’ve shot in v3. My biggest learning curve was the reset, especially if I took a striker fired gun and a v3 variant to the same range session. I’ve learned with HKs da/as to not try and ride the reset, just let the trigger all the way out and shoot. It was very frustrating my first few times out until I figured my problem. Now it has become one of my favorite guns and is crazy accurate. I know this doesn’t help with your question but may help if you go with the v3

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
How old are you? Serious question because I'm super fit, and 68, but, I'm a one trick pony and not interested in getting anything with paddle mag releases and so on. Cheers.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
My P30 has a suprsingly GOOD da/sa trigger. Im not a fan of the LEM but to each their own.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
YMMV.

Some like it. Some hate it.

I hate it.

I have all my HKs in DA/SA with NP3 treatments.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
To each their own, but, when the SIG P239 SAS first came out I also checked out an H&K <something> with a LEM trigger. The P239 SAS, with its DAK trigger, I liked. It was not unlike a very nice DA revolver trigger. The LEM felt just plain weird. I played with it for a while at the gun store. Tried to feel the good in it. Just couldn't get there. It was just too different from everything else I had and knew.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prefer the V1 trigger on the P30. The V3 on my 4" P30 still is such a sucky thing, but I've had at least 10 years of live fire to acclimate to it. Doesn't mean I like it, just that I've become used to it. The DA isn't particular heavy per se, but the general action in both double and single is sloppy with loads of slack and takeup with every motion of the trigger, and to this day continues to be on the annoying side of things. But with thousands of rounds thru it by now, it's entrenched as part of the 'family', if only it being the pink-and-chartreuse-headed stepchild.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Owner of a P30L with light LEM. Love the gun, love the trigger.

I looked around a fair bit till I found a place that had one in stock they let me dry-fire. Big smile. "Yep, let's get the paperwork going!" Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me! Just when I think I’ve made up my mind, I swing the other way. Maybe I just need one of each?? Big Grin

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I have DA/SA HK45 and P30L while my P30SK is LEM. I have found LEM is OK for a CCW pistol but I prefer the DA/SA on my HK45 and P30L for shooting at the range.

I STRONGLY encourage anyone that is considering LEM to try one out at the range first.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
LEM trigger is a like/hate thing w/o much in-between. The trigger on the P30 breaks far back. I find I can adapt to it pretty quickly, but if you're switching back & forth between other guns where the trigger breaks farther forward, then the difference feels weird.

The reset on the P30 is too long. That's my biggest grip w/ it. Grayguns makes a short reset kit that cuts the reset in half.

I like my P30 v1. I like that it's a cross between a hammer & striker-fired gun. I also find that despite its high bore axis, I find it to be a soft shooter. The slide is also easier to rack than most guns.

I think for its intended purpose - LE & carry use - the LEM is a good compromise between a light competition-style trigger and a ridiculously heavy LE 12 lb DAO trigger.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post