SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red Dot Advice Needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Red Dot Advice Needed Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
My advice is don’t underestimate the training time required to transition from iron sights to an optic. I was over 60 when I started the transition. It took a bunch or reps to retrain my presentation to where I was seeing the red dot or circle dot cleanly. On the good news side, once you make the transition I have found better accuracy overall and faster follow ups.

One other thing to consider is the Holosuns with the solar panels that have auto brightness adjustments. This is a very handy thing to have on a carry gun.


Counterpoint-

Your presentation wasn’t clean to begin with. Iron sights just tricked you to thinking you were better than you were.

Guns with red dots still have iron sights on them. The false notion of “I’m faster with iron sights” follows the Moneyball rule. If you’re faster with iron sights why aren’t you faster with iron sight?

Also, a MRDS will expose exactly how badly you are pressing the trigger.


________________
People hate you. Train like it.



 
Posts: 38686 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
My advice is don’t underestimate the training time required to transition from iron sights to an optic. I was over 60 when I started the transition. It took a bunch or reps to retrain my presentation to where I was seeing the red dot or circle dot cleanly. On the good news side, once you make the transition I have found better accuracy overall and faster follow ups.

One other thing to consider is the Holosuns with the solar panels that have auto brightness adjustments. This is a very handy thing to have on a carry gun.


Counterpoint-

Your presentation wasn’t clean to begin with. Iron sights just tricked you to thinking you were better than you were.

Guns with red dots still have iron sights on them. The false notion of “I’m faster with iron sights” follows the Moneyball rule. If you’re faster with iron sights why aren’t you faster with iron sight?


Never realized how trash my presentation was. Until I transitioned to a red dot. Then took some classes with an actual instructor that competes in carry optics. Really opened my eyes and how terrible I was.




Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
 
Posts: 9183 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Haha. Your presentation and my trigger control.


________________
People hate you. Train like it.



 
Posts: 38686 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red Dot Advice Needed

© SIGforum 2026