SIGforum
Red Dot Advice Needed

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/6100041225

September 17, 2026, 06:35 PM
jljones
Red Dot Advice Needed
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
My advice is don’t underestimate the training time required to transition from iron sights to an optic. I was over 60 when I started the transition. It took a bunch or reps to retrain my presentation to where I was seeing the red dot or circle dot cleanly. On the good news side, once you make the transition I have found better accuracy overall and faster follow ups.

One other thing to consider is the Holosuns with the solar panels that have auto brightness adjustments. This is a very handy thing to have on a carry gun.


Counterpoint-

Your presentation wasn’t clean to begin with. Iron sights just tricked you to thinking you were better than you were.

Guns with red dots still have iron sights on them. The false notion of “I’m faster with iron sights” follows the Moneyball rule. If you’re faster with iron sights why aren’t you faster with iron sight?

Also, a MRDS will expose exactly how badly you are pressing the trigger.


________________
People hate you. Train like it.



September 17, 2026, 06:37 PM
myrottiety
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
My advice is don’t underestimate the training time required to transition from iron sights to an optic. I was over 60 when I started the transition. It took a bunch or reps to retrain my presentation to where I was seeing the red dot or circle dot cleanly. On the good news side, once you make the transition I have found better accuracy overall and faster follow ups.

One other thing to consider is the Holosuns with the solar panels that have auto brightness adjustments. This is a very handy thing to have on a carry gun.


Counterpoint-

Your presentation wasn’t clean to begin with. Iron sights just tricked you to thinking you were better than you were.

Guns with red dots still have iron sights on them. The false notion of “I’m faster with iron sights” follows the Moneyball rule. If you’re faster with iron sights why aren’t you faster with iron sight?


Never realized how trash my presentation was. Until I transitioned to a red dot. Then took some classes with an actual instructor that competes in carry optics. Really opened my eyes and how terrible I was.




Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
September 17, 2026, 06:39 PM
jljones
Haha. Your presentation and my trigger control.


________________
People hate you. Train like it.