SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt SAA and clones old west holster rigs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt SAA and clones old west holster rigs Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I have a couple 45 Colt six guns and want to try and find a decent quality old west style gun rig. I’ve always liked the look of the single loop John Wayne El Dorado style, but I see the double loop Cheyenne models are quite popular as well. I think I want a little higher ride as I like the look of the lower hanging gunslinger rigs though don’t want a thigh ride as then I’d need a tie off to keep it from flopping around right?

What do you guys have and or prefer? I love the El Paso saddlery rigs though I don’t really want to spend $500+ yet, though the hand tooled floral patterns are beautiful.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I haven’t purchased anything yet, but after looking at a lot of options I settled on an El Paso civil war flap holster. Unsure on cartridge pouches, or cartridge belt for .45lc and .45-70. My goal being “surplus” gear during the postwar drive west.

Posts: 9968 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dig around on EBay. You might have good luck there. But... Any decent quality Western rig will set you back 300+ bucks, at least.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Chisholm’s Trail Leather make a holster for my SAA Pietta octagon barrel 1860 clone. I had them put a custom sunflower pattern on it and it turned out beautiful. They're great to deal with and have a lot of custom options.

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Barranti Leather makes some sweet pieces as well.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Will check those out thanks guys!

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I have a old single loop for a 4 3/4.
I'd let you have it (karma) if your interested. I couldn't find your email so email me and I'll send pictures.
If you can use it I'll sent it to you.

Posts: 1564 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using a Threepersons holster for years and it carries my 4 3/4 SAA nicely on the belt.
ElPaso Saddlery has a variety for single actions.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't have any suggestions about what Western rig to get, not owning a SAA.

But do consider Kirkpatrick Leather. I have bought a modern holster, belt, and mag pouches from them and their quality was top notch, while being a little less expensive than some. Still, a Western rig is going to cost at least $300 unless it is junk.

https://www.kirkpatrickleather...ry/western-holsters/

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some Mernickle leather that I’ve used for cowboy action. Good quality stuff as well as a lot of other good options suggested.

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/

Another not mentioned but some good stuff too is JM leather.
http://jm-leather.com/

Posts: 21 | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. Greymann I sent you an email.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with Mernickle for single actions that I've carried. These weren't western rigs, just Field Carry.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3399 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Mernicle western rig and also have a John Bianchi frontier gunleather rig.Both good choices.

Posts: 95 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I shoot a bit of cowboy action and my most versatile rig is from El Paso Saddlery. I've got their #44 rig similar to the one John Wayne used in the Shootist.

I bought the gun belt WITHOUT cartridge loops. Makes it usable with all sorts of firearms with the purchase of additional holsters. If I need to carry extra cartridges I just add a cartridge slide onto the belt.

Suggestions to watch eBay are spot on. Last year I added a beautiful Kirkpatrick double holster rig to my gear for $137.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
https://www.sportsmansguide.co...olsters%20and%20belt

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wes...ing&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

A friend of mine has the Sportsman's Guide rig in .44 mag, for a Old Model Blackhawk 7.5 inch. Very nice rig. Plain, but nicely made.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12781 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
I shoot a bit of cowboy action and my most versatile rig is from El Paso Saddlery. I've got their #44 rig similar to the one John Wayne used in the Shootist.

I bought the gun belt WITHOUT cartridge loops. Makes it usable with all sorts of firearms with the purchase of additional holsters. If I need to carry extra cartridges I just add a cartridge slide onto the belt.

Suggestions to watch eBay are spot on. Last year I added a beautiful Kirkpatrick double holster rig to my gear for $137.

I do like that #44 holster. It is pretty simple but elegant and seems to be popular. I noticed it doesn’t cover the entire cylinder like some other styles. Do you feel it is just as secure and protective so as to keep the gun in place without the extra coverage? It must make it a faster draw with some of the area relieved though right?

Can I add a different 2 1/2 money belt to it rather than the one it is pictured with on the El Paso site? I don’t like the rough out belt.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
El Paso Saddlery.

I have a Cheyenne rig ordered from them. Hoping it'll only be another few weeks.

quote:
Can I add a different 2 1/2 money belt to it rather than the one it is pictured with on the El Paso site? I don’t like the rough out belt.

You can order a different belt. I called and talked with them and did just that. The Cheyenne rig comes with a 3" belt that I felt would be a little too big and they paired up the holster with a 2 1/2" belt instead. Just call and they should fix you right up.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^Good to know thx!

posted Hide Post
El Paso is your source. there are probably alternatives, but unless you get 100 people to vouch for them this is where to go.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11003 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I called El Paso and they were very helpful.
Now I just don’t know if I should get a 2 1/4” or 2 1/2” belt? Which is more preferred/common?