SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Glock 19 gen 5
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Glock 19 gen 5 Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm like every other guy where I really like a pistol to fit my hand and feel ergonomic but I noticed it doesn't make a difference in my shooting. In fact I shoot my Glocks slightly better than my super cushy, made for my hands M&P's.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I know it is a pain, but you must put that plastic pin back in even though you are not using any backstraps. The reason for this is it actually holds the trigger group in. Perhaps some oil on that pin will make it easier to get in and out.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What really settled the debate for me was I compared a P30sk side by side with a G19 and they are the same size but the Glock gives you 5 more rounds, whole hand on the gun and it’s a little thinner. This may not matter to a lot of people but I also got sick of paying for and trying to find mags for the thing too. I may get a p30L as a night stand pistol down the road but for ccw the Glock wins for me

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I’ve actually got 2 of the G19 Gen 5’s...and a Gen 4 I love as well. I finally had to come to the acceptance the Glocks just work best for me. However there are so many options out there now that if the Glock isn’t for you there’s plenty of other options.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr228:
But. I’m still baffled at my inability to push that stupid plastic pin back through completely after changing the backstrap without sweating profusely like I’ve been running a marathon.

I prefer no backstrap on my G20.4
As stated above that pin also retains the TMH (Trigger Mechanism Housing).
The backstrap kit comes with a longer pin to be used with the backstrap.
If no backstrap, then you use the shorter pin that came originally installed in the pistol.

My technique :

Use a roll of duct tape for your "armorer's block" (all Glockies do this)

I take a round bodied toothpick, nipping the ends to make a punch (real Glockies use the Glock punch)

I like a rawhide craft hammer but any small hammer will work

Put the pistol onto the roll of tape and tap the pin out with the aforementioned tools.

Reverse the procedure to reinstall the pin.
Finish by using the punch to center the pin.

On a Glock, the TMH pin should be an easy pin to deal with.
The tricky pin on a Glock is the larger trigger pin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DirectDrive,

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this forum!! This is the greatest forum on the planet. The members are the best. I’m sorry but I can’t stop laughing at myself. This is regarding the 2 stupid plastic pins. Small and large. I’ve obviously figured out I have to leave the small one in if I don’t change the backstraps. But what a comical adventure it was when I was experimenting with the 4 different backstraps. I had my roll of green duct tape all ready to go. So pushing the small pin out was easy. Getting the backstraps lined up was easy. Getting the big pin to go into the first hole was easy. Continue on to second hole is where it gets downright comical (for me) it suddenly stops as it is about to pass through the backstrap hole to be completely flush. So I use my X300 light to push down on the pin (because that was what was within reach that resembled a sledgehammer)that’s when the cheap Glock pin snaps and my X300 falls straight on my naked big toe. I’m swearing at the pain. My lovely wife of 25 years comes into the kitchen thinking I really hurt myself. And she discovers my shear clumsiness and I have to explain how I (traded) my stash of extra toilet paper for another gun. I’m starting to think this Glock is almost as nutty as I am.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to explain how I (traded) my stash of extra toilet paper for another gun.

Well shit. I have toilet paper, what’s the current conversion rate for an HK45? Hell I could throw a roll of paper towels in and maybe a brick of .22. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I feel better. I have 2 gen 5 19's both fitted with Trijicon RMR type 2's. Not sure why I got 2, except I shoot the deal out of them. They are great guns but I think it all comes down to hand fit. They are very fast and accurate with the red dots.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnimalMother88
posted Hide Post
I have an HK P30 LEM that I carried for about a year. Now my primary carry is a Gen 4 G19.

What I wouldn't give for a Vickers Special RTF G19. XLT, if you'd consider parting ways with yours let me know.

Posts: 1338 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say that the Gen5 MOS Glock 19 is the really really nice. Glock really put it together in this gun.

Posts: 132 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have little Glocks, 48, middle sized Glocks, 32, 19, regular Glocks, 17, 31,45 and big Glocks, 20. The 19 size and the 20 size don't fit me well at all. I use, in consequence, the G48, and the G45 the most. Never, ever got comfortable with the G19 or 32.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post

Given the current state of chaos, I'd wait until things return to normal to do anything. Then again, if you want to sell the gun privately for cash, you could probably get a very good price for it right now.

Getting to gun comparisons. If you want a poly-striker gun (not a given), go to a gunshop that actually has stock (again, likely when things have blown over.) and fondle a S&W M&P 2.0, and in the various grip sizes. The ergos on the M&P are better than the Glock, and it's grip panel interchange system should be easier to work with. I bet you'll find something you'd like in their line. And they're cheaper than Glock, so you'd come out ahead if you flip for one of them.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I’m going to sell the Glock 19 gen5 and get a H&K P30sk 9mm. To go along with my edc P30 V1 9mm. I love my edc P30. But I admit it’s not a small gun. I’m spoiled by the ergonomics of the P30. One of my shooting buddies let me handle his P30sk 9mm with the factory 13rd mag and it felt great in my hands. It’s around the same size as the Glock 19. A little chubbier in spots. But it’s almost as perfect as the bigger P30.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr228:
I think I’m going to sell the Glock 19 gen5 and get a H&K P30sk 9mm. To go along with my edc P30 V1 9mm. I love my edc P30. But I admit it’s not a small gun. I’m spoiled by the ergonomics of the P30. One of my shooting buddies let me handle his P30sk 9mm with the factory 13rd mag and it felt great in my hands. It’s around the same size as the Glock 19. A little chubbier in spots. But it’s almost as perfect as the bigger P30.

I think you’ll be happy. Glocks are outstanding guns - for me - but not everyone loves them. Everybody needs to find/carry what’s best for them.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post