SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Glock 19 gen 5
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Glock 19 gen 5 Login/Join 
posted
I just bought a new Glock 19 gen 5 from a shooting buddy. He bought it a year ago and never fired it. Straight to his safe. So he needed some cash and I paid a fair price for it several days ago. After playing around with it for several days. I have not fired it yet. And comparing it to my edc H&K P30 V1 9mm. I’m kinda bummed out that it doesn’t fit my medium size hands. I tried the different sized grips and none of them felt comfortable. It’s also an absolute pain in the ass to change them out. You almost need a vise to push in on whatever grip you are securing while pushing in on the tiny plastic pin. It takes less than a minute to change the grip configuration on a P30. I wanted the Glock 19 for a smaller concealed carry. But after a side by side comparison the Glock is like a 1/4 of an inch shorter in the grip. But the width and length are almost the same as the P30. I know in today’s world it’s a pretty difficult gun to find at a reasonable price. My shooting buddies never gouge each other on price. My question is. Should I keep the Glock? Or get rid of it? Even though the P30 is a bit larger. It feels so much better in my hand. And I can conceal it well with any of my Mitch Rosen holsters.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
By all means try shooting the Glock 19. IMHO how a pistol "feels" in the hand does not mean a whole lot to how one can actually shoot it. I have a P30L that I really like but I also adore my Gen 2 Glock 19. I would expect the cheap Glock tool would make it easy to change the grip back straps on the Glock 19. I can't recall anyone else complaining they were difficult to change.

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-0...d=1585871643&sr=8-11

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Life is too short to keep a gun that you don't like, doesn't work, doesn't fit you, etc...

Sell it or trade it for something that you will like better.

Good luck.

(And I'm a big Glock 19 fan too...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
sell it get a 43x stick some shield 15 rounds mags in it and be done. as much as I like my 19 vickers and g45 I simply cant put the 43x down. or if your interested in a trade for the 19 I have a nib 365 just a thought.

Posts: 5595 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I’d keep the Glock. Yes, the grip likely sucks compared to a P30.

But...

It will be logistically superior to the HK.
It will have a better trigger than the HK.
It will be easier to shoot at speed than the HK.
It will have fewer moving parts, no manual safeties or decockers.

Shoot the Glock... Shoot it some more... Shoot it till your hands develop callouses.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None of my glocks really “fit me” either especially compared to the p30sk I used to have. But yet I can shoot all of them pretty damn well, especially my gen 5 G19 with some upgrades to the sights/trigger.
Plus at night I pop in the 33round mag and stick it in the night stand

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you'll never be happy with it.
I'd move it along and get something that you like.

Would a single stack work for you ?
It will be slimmer, that is certain.
But you have to be happy with fewer rounds.

Primary Arms has the Vickers G43 for $499
That is a very good deal, since you get all the Vickers upgrades for $50 over the standard G43
https://www.primaryarms.com/gl...n-subcompact-handgun

The wife has one en route.
She shoots the standard model well and the Vickers model will be like frosting on the cake.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I wasn't that thrilled with mine but every time I come from the range that chunk of plastic is gold to me.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You’ve been spoiled by the Uber ergos of the P30 which does have one of the best sets ever Wink

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have Glocks (plural) and HKs(plural) and count me in the HK camp. Love the P30.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised you had trouble with the different grips on the 19 as far as getting them mounted. I've been running a half beavertail grip on mine and it keeps the grip slim and gives you a more "normal" angle. The HK will definitely have superior ergonomics on the grip but I'll be damned if I dont love my 19s.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I do have to say the Gen 5 G19 is pretty damn good. I just prefer a hammer.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It takes a while to fall in love with a Glock. Give it some time and perspective.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
The g17 has a grip the same size as the p30. Try that. The p30 has a great feel to it. Not much will compare.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies so far. I’ve played around with the Glock some more. Since my state is on lockdown. And it actually feels ok with no additional backstraps. It definitely points differently than the P30. The H&K has the higher bore line vs the Glock. I haven’t owned a Glock 19 in years. This might take a little getting used to. But. I’m still baffled at my inability to push that stupid plastic pin back through completely after changing the backstrap without sweating profusely like I’ve been running a marathon. But. Since I’ve found that the grip is better fitting for me with none of the additional backstraps being used I guess changing grips won’t be necessary.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
Great gun both in the P 30 I decided when I started settling down I would keep what I train with And no longer on the HK. Out of the box you have one of the best guns.

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have an almost brand new 19.5 with agent sights and I love it. But with my 43x and 48 with shield mags I don’t ever see it leaving the safe. The only time is when I’m plainclothes at work so our G17 mags will work in it.

quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
sell it get a 43x stick some shield 15 rounds mags in it and be done. as much as I like my 19 vickers and g45 I simply cant put the 43x down. or if your interested in a trade for the 19 I have a nib 365 just a thought.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 19 is an amazing little gun and is a keeper. It is not the most comfortable gun, as far as the grip goes, but will last a lifetime with little maintenance,( not that I am saying not to maintain it). It is just a solid performer. Now as far as the Hk P30/VP9 grip is concerned, I don't know why other brands don't follow suit. In my opinion, Hk has made the best frame/options on any modern day gun. Nothing else compares to it's versatility.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Now as far as the Hk P30/VP9 grip is concerned, I don't know why other brands don't follow suit. In my opinion, Hk has made the best frame/options on any modern day gun. Nothing else compares to it's versatility.

A lot of manufacturers offer different size backstraps, but HK has a patent on a grip w/ interchangeable backstraps and side panels.

Firearm grips and firearm grip construction sets

Some Walthers, such as the PPQ & CCP, have grips similar to HK's P30 & VP9.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I was never a fan of Glocks until the past two years, and the Gen 5 guns further solidified my admiration for the platform. After realizing that I don't really need a gun to conform to every contour of my hand like a P30/VP9 and started practicing consistently with Glocks, I have become a complete convert.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post