SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Roll pin sheared on my P226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roll pin sheared on my P226 Login/Join 
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted

I don’t think this is uncommon but I’m just posting for anyone that may find it interesting. I have an older P226 with the carbon slide. The breech block is held in place by a set of roll pins – an outer and an inner. During the beginning of a match, I noticed the pins sticking out one side of the slide. I looked at the other side and it was flush with the slide, so obviously it was broken. I found something to bang it back in and continued on with the match without any stoppages.

I believe the broken pins are original. I bought this gun (used) last year for competing in local matches. It has a good amount of wear on the rails. Apparently, the previous owner didn’t believe in using any lube/grease on the rails. I put around 6K rounds through it before I noticed the break.

The pins are discontinued by SIG so I bought a few since I can also use them in my other carbon slide models. I also bought a couple of new recoil springs (should have done that first thing when I bought the gun). The old spring is almost a half inch shorter than the replacement.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Well used gun. Things get worn out and break. Not a surprise.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Yep, broken my share of double roll pins, and especially the solid FPPP's. I believe they sell the new spiral version as a direct replacement, I know I've used several, and haven't broken one yet.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Well used gun. Things get worn out and break. Not a surprise.

Absolutely. If I'm correct about the pins being original, then they surely exceeded their round count life.

I've only experienced a few stoppages with this gun and they were due to my reloads. I haven't had any stoppages with factory ammo.

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Stoic, the SIG packaged pins I bought look the same as A. I'm not sure if the Grayguns pins are after market replacements or OEM old stock.

posted Hide Post
SIG recommand to replace them every 5'000 rounds.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Go to your local hardware store and buy a bunch for 50 cents or so.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post