SIGforum
Roll pin sheared on my P226

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5840042354

February 09, 2019, 12:55 PM
pessimist
Roll pin sheared on my P226

I don’t think this is uncommon but I’m just posting for anyone that may find it interesting. I have an older P226 with the carbon slide. The breech block is held in place by a set of roll pins – an outer and an inner. During the beginning of a match, I noticed the pins sticking out one side of the slide. I looked at the other side and it was flush with the slide, so obviously it was broken. I found something to bang it back in and continued on with the match without any stoppages.

I believe the broken pins are original. I bought this gun (used) last year for competing in local matches. It has a good amount of wear on the rails. Apparently, the previous owner didn’t believe in using any lube/grease on the rails. I put around 6K rounds through it before I noticed the break.

The pins are discontinued by SIG so I bought a few since I can also use them in my other carbon slide models. I also bought a couple of new recoil springs (should have done that first thing when I bought the gun). The old spring is almost a half inch shorter than the replacement.
February 09, 2019, 01:04 PM
Well used gun. Things get worn out and break. Not a surprise.

Q

February 09, 2019, 01:31 PM
stoic-one
Yep, broken my share of double roll pins, and especially the solid FPPP's. I believe they sell the new spiral version as a direct replacement, I know I've used several, and haven't broken one yet.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/
February 09, 2019, 01:37 PM
pessimist
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Well used gun. Things get worn out and break. Not a surprise.

Absolutely. If I'm correct about the pins being original, then they surely exceeded their round count life.

I've only experienced a few stoppages with this gun and they were due to my reloads. I haven't had any stoppages with factory ammo.
February 09, 2019, 01:54 PM
pessimist
Stoic, the SIG packaged pins I bought look the same as A. I'm not sure if the Grayguns pins are after market replacements or OEM old stock.
February 10, 2019, 05:55 AM
toto
SIG recommand to replace them every 5'000 rounds.
February 10, 2019, 06:32 AM
rbert0005
Go to your local hardware store and buy a bunch for 50 cents or so.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.