SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 S/N G 14061316
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 S/N G 14061316 Login/Join 
posted
How do I get info on this Sig ? It is a great gun. But too old to get ANY info on it from Sig.
Please advise

Thank You,

JPeace

Posts: 12 | Location: Lake Marion , Santee SC | Registered: March 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107500 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
G 14061316

It appears that you have two extra digits?

Q

Posts: 26344 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Pretty much the identical thread running in the New Members Intro subforum --> https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/7620077994

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard. Your pistol is a 1986 W. German P220-1 imported by SigArms who at the time were located in Tysons Corner, VA. The "weird symbols" you reference are German proof marks. The "beetle bug" is the proof stamp of the W. German Kiel Proof House while the Eagle/N stamp is the nitro (smokeless powder) proof. Most likely, the proof date code on your pistol is "JG" for 1986. Correct P220 pistols of this vintage will display matching serial numbers on the right side of the receiver, the right side of the slide and left (inside) side of the barrel chamber. Your pistol is an earlier model manufactured using the original, non-reinforced P220-1 receiver design. As such, it is advisable to avoid +P ammunition. With standard pressure loads however, your pistol is practically bomb proof - provided you keep it properly lubed and replace springs at recommended intervals. PS: We'd love to see some photos of your pistol.

Edited to add:

Thank you for the photos. The "dash one" model designation (i.e. P220-1) indicates the evolutionary production change from the European heel type magazine release to the more familiar American style. To date, all P220-1 pistols I have examined display the serial number on the right side of the receiver. Prior to this location, the serial number appeared on the front of the grip frame. I have long believed the change in serial number location was commensurate with the introduction of the American style magazine release. Is by chance your pistol serial numbered on the front of the grip? If so, I suspect it is a very early "dash one" model produced during this transitional period.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hjs157,

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Pretty much the identical thread running in the New Members Intro subforum --> https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/7620077994

Thank you Much

Thank You,

JPeace

Posts: 12 | Location: Lake Marion , Santee SC | Registered: March 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Welcome aboard. Your pistol is a 1986 W. German P220-1 imported by SigArms who at the time were located in Tysons Corner, VA. The "weird symbols" you reference are German proof marks. The "beetle bug is the proof stamp of the W. German Kiel Proof House while the Eagle/N stamp is the nitro (smokeless powder) proof. Most likely, the proof date code on your pistol is "JG" for 1986. Correct P220 pistols of this vintage will display matching serial numbers on the right side of the receiver, the right side of the slide and left (inside) side of the barrel chamber. Your pistol is an earlier model manufactured using the original, non-reinforced P220-1 receiver design. As such, it is advisable to avoid +P ammunition. With standard pressure loads however, your pistol is practically bomb proof - provided you keep it properly lubed and replace springs at recommended intervals. PS: We'd love to see some photos of your pistol.
Man I enjoy your posts hjs. Can you say more of the P220-1 non supported receiver? Also, while some don't like the earlier spur hammers, I always thought they were kinda sexy. Was their not something very important to consider about the early P220s concerning decock or half cock which is safety related? Not sure if it applies to this Era of P220s?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Man I enjoy your posts hjs. Can you say more of the P220-1 non supported receiver? Also, while some don't like the earlier spur hammers, I always thought they were kinda sexy. Was their not something very important to consider about the early P220s concerning decock or half cock which is safety related? Not sure if it applies to this Era of P220s?

The "dash one" designation was an internal SIG catalog reference which indicated the evolutionary production change from the original heel type magazine release to the more familiar American style. This change occurred in ~1985 though I am unaware of the exact serial number. The end labels on boxes of this era listed the updated model as a P220-1. The reinforced receiver was introduced at serial number G211300. This change occurred to better accommodate the use of +P ammunition, though there was no change in the model number designation. At serial number G219166, the bobbed hammer replaced the spur hammer. This change occurred commensurate with the addition of the rebounding hammer safety which was designed to address concerns if/when the user manually decocked their weapon. While SIG emphatically cautioned against manually decocking their pistols, there were reports of ND's resulting from failure to properly use the decocking feature. Interestingly, the P226 (as well as the P228) incorporated the rebounding hammer safety from the beginning of production.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir. Rebounding hammer safety. I lost track of this. Surely appreciate the information.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post