SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Whether you believe in “muscle memory” or not I damn sure decock all my Glocks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whether you believe in “muscle memory” or not I damn sure decock all my Glocks Login/Join 
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe that more than one of us got it.

Sorry! Sometimes the "engineering" side of me takes over.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

I started seriously learning with a 1911 and BHP. Lots, and lots, and lots of rounds down range with those. (Thank you Uncle Sam!) I haven't carried one in over 20 years. Oh yeah, I still shoot them, and shoot them well.
Sig P226 DAO, then P220 DAO, now Glock...
I still have this funny little automatic response of dragging my thumb down to disengage a safety that isn't there.

I have no problem doing it now, and I don't see it as an added "thing you don't need to do" or an "extra, unnecessary step". Hopefully, if I'm ever allowed to retire and leave this place, I'm probably going back to a BHP as my EDC. There's a real nice custom 1911 in the safe that would make a pretty BBQ gun.

I'm actually trying to learn the opposite since I just acquired my first SAO P226... Not only to flip that dern safety down while acquiring the target but putting my thumb on top of it while first gripping the pistol in the holster....

then of course also flipping it back up before holstering.... also took me a moment to realize what the OP was actually explaining .....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
'Muscle memory'?

You got a real type of thing going down ...

At 0:20/3:46, substitute "Deee Cock My Glock" for "Weee Want The Funk".

Now you've got the earworm. You're welcome. Big Grin

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You are mean. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never really learned to like the AR15/M4 safety/selector lever, because it is on “semi” when the “Dingus Is Down.” I had conditioned my brain and nervous system that any safety levers had to be aligned with the target, opponent, enemy, or what have you, to fire the weapon. This started with the 1911 system in the Eighties, continued with Third-Generation S&W auto-pistols in the Nineties, and, in the new Century, was reinforced by the safety on the PD-issued, mandated Tasers, which we test-fired at the beginning of each shift.

I never messed-up, in a range environment, and do not recall having the AR/M4 selector wrongly on “semi” while on street duty, but there were a few moments of scary cognitive dissonance, during a prolonged stand-off, involving a hostage, when I would periodically feel the selector aligned with the muzzle, which was the correct “safe” position, but had me doubting myself. This was one of reasons that I decided to sell my Colt AR15A2 Govt Carbine to a younger colleague, and let by patrol rifle “qual” lapse. (I did, eventually, acquire a BCM Lightweight “middy,” in order to maintain familiarity with the platform, and which would accept an optic, which my aging eyes needed, but I finished-out my career as a shotgun guy.)

Now retired from LEO-ing, I do plan to maintain familiarity with the AR15 platform, as it is the patriotic American thing to do, but the HK/PTR 91 is what now has my attention, as the safety lever should not cause any cognitive dissonance. (It is not a given, that I need any auto-loading rifle system, so buying something different is not a goal, at this time.)

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was gratified to find that I had never un-learned how to use the 1911 thumb safety, during a decade of not training with 1911 pistols. I had reluctantly switched to Glock duty pistols, in 2002, after encountering one too many failures to properly grip a 1911, when using the then-mandated Safariland 070 duty holster.

When I learned about the slimmer factory trigger, and the DAK system, I switched to a P229R DAK, in late 2004, immediately realizing better accuracy than I had ever achieved with a G22. I also started shooting with my thumb locked-down, revolver-style, rather than the thumb-forward, as I had shot 1911 and Glock pistols.

By late 2011, I had been using a P229 DAK duty pistol, for 11 years, but the then-mandated .40 duty ammo, plus the high SIG bore axis, and the aluminum alloy P229 frame, were combining into a perfect storm of pain, in my arthritic right thumb, hand, and wrist. I decided to try shooting some drills with my lower-bore-axis, all-steel, 5” 1911. No pain, my accuracy potential was still high, and, everything worked! I had to keep using the SIG, or one of the other approved .40 pistols, while in uniform, but the 1911 became my personal-time weapon, breaking with an established habit of using only one auto-loading system at a time, and carrying my duty pistol, or a slimmer/non-railed version of it, during personal time.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've never de-cocked a Glock, but I came up shooting 1911s and that has caused minor issues with my duty weapon. The hump for the de-cocker on the stock grip creates a place for my thumb to rest that feels much like where it rides on a thumb safety. We don't have de-cockers on our Sigs, but I've been prone in the past to accidentally riding the slide release and causing the slide not to lock back on empty.

I actually went to the rubber Hogue grip just to get rid of the hump. My personal DAKs have DAK specific G10 grips, but they aren't allowed on my issue weapon.

Oddly, that's the only issue I have. I don't forget to de-cock DA/SA, engage or disengage thumb safeties, or manipulate slide mounted safeties when I switch back and forth. I just have a mental block with the Sig slide release.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Having carried 1911s almost exclusively for several years, I’m in the habit of confirming that the thumb safety is on-safe before exiting a vehicle, etc. when I can be discrete about it.

As I’ve gradually begun carrying full-size revolvers at times, I’ve caught myself reaching to check the non-existent thumb safety on those, too. Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
"Muscle memory" is a term I like to call "imprecise but descriptive."

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I love about Glocks is when you de-cock the trigger stays back. So at a glace I can tell the gun has a clear chamber. In fact the first gen Glock boxes would not allow a gun to be inserted unless the trigger was back (empty chamber).

Posts: 55 | Location: Central MS | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Getting overwrought over the highly apt term muscle memory is ridiculous. Coffee isn’t named Joe either. Who gives a shit? It’s a colloquialism. We use those all the time and nobody gets their panties in a wad. Except here. Lol

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay, dufus me has to ask how you de-cock a Glock.

Edit: I figured it out...by messing with one of mine, tripping the trigger on an empty chamber. I kind of have a hard time considering that de-cocking but I guess technically it is.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Confucius Says:

Man who reholster Glock in appendix too fast may get "de-cocked".

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup. Getting overwrought over the highly apt term muscle memory is ridiculous. Coffee isn’t named Joe either. Who gives a shit? It’s a colloquialism. We use those all the time and nobody gets their panties in a wad. Except here. Lol

At least I don't put clips in my Glocks. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well yea, saying clips is unforgivable! lol

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post