SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Whether you believe in “muscle memory” or not I damn sure decock all my Glocks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whether you believe in “muscle memory” or not I damn sure decock all my Glocks Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I have been devoting time Captain boring and the blasé patrol lately…….errr I mean my striker 9’s. Razz specifically my Glock 17 and it’s brethren. I say that as much as a tongue in cheek shot from an enthusiast as well as a true compliment in regards to just how good and simple Glocks are. They really are a phenomenal firearm in many many ways whether you like them or not.

Anyway I find myself chuckling because over the years I’ve heard people use the term muscle memory and then say it was bunk and then it’s a thing etc etc. Well at least in my case it’s damn sure a thing because I “decock” my Glocks all the time, making sure I drop the hammer to to safe position so I can ride the Glock hammer back into the holster. Smile.

I just found it funny to me and it’s always amazing to me the things we do on an unconscious level. I’ve never “TRAINED” with a 1911 platform but I am sure if I had like I have with DA/SA platforms I’d be sweeping the “Glock safety” as well. Smile

Take care, shoot safe
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Muscles don’t have memories, but our brains certainly do as ingrained habits and they control our muscles.

As for habits, after years of shooting autoloading pistols almost exclusively I had a failure to fire malfunction with a revolver, and what? Yup, immediately smacked the bottom of the grip. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Glocks and don't have a single one with a hammer. All my Glocks (G19,G22,& G23) don't have a hammer....

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't say I decock on guns that aren't da/sa as usually I have to reposition my hand for that, but I can say that on a draw I will sweep off a safety on anything. It is totally at a subconscious level. If the gun has one, its off and I didn't do it, I promise. If it doesn't of course it matters not. So I get it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
I have 3 Glocks and don't have a single one with a hammer. All my Glocks (G19,G22,& G23) don't have a hammer....

I was being facetious. I was just saying that I am so used to running DA/SA that even on strikers my mind subconsciously goes for a decock after loading and I still find my thumb riding the back plate if holstering since I am so conditioned to “ride the hammer” in my brain.

I don’t actually own any of those “hammer fired movie Glocks” that make all kinds of cocking and decocking noises. Smile Razz

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’ve not “tap racked” a revolver as of yet but I have spent a fair bit of my shooting life shooting both wheel guns and semi autos but I can totally see that happening. Smile

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I was being facetious.

I believe that more than one of us got it. Roll Eyes

Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never liked the term “muscle memory” preferring the slightly more nerdy and more accurate “neural pathway.”

I haven’t tried to decock my p365 yet but it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if I did even under the mild stress of a competition let alone an actual shooting. At least it’s a habit that won’t hurt anything.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Muscles have no memory. It’s a conditioned response.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a 1911 as a duty gun for about 15 years. We were the issued Glocks.

For several years, I would sweep down the imaginary safety.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Swiping a decocker and thumb on the hammer on reholster gets me on my 365.

Just like stomping a clutch pedal that isn't there in an automatic rig.
Or go to put a car in gear and rip the wiper stalk off the column.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conditioned response: When startled, my right hand reaches for my pistol. Years of duty belt wear.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
When startled, my right hand reaches for my pistol.

Well, I wouldn't want to walk up behind you and slap you on the shoulder, would I?

Posts: 18054 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The other day I was working with my new 92x on the range, doing draw drills from the holster. I'd decock, reholster, then draw and realize I'd forgotten to take the safety off. I haven't carried a gun with a manual safety in years, and since I'd already ordered a "G" conversion kit to swap the gun from a manual safety/decocker to decocker-only, I was trying to train with the gun in that condition. Even consciously knowing that, I kept forgetting to take it off.

The G conversion lever is now installed and there will be no further problems of that nature. In this case it was easier to modify the gun that it was to retrain my brain to deal with the stupid safety.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thing you have to watch is going from years of Glock to a Sig 226 , don`t forget to decock !

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
When startled, my right hand reaches for my pistol.
Well, I wouldn't want to walk up behind you and slap you on the shoulder, would I?
I started to walk out of a bank without my receipt. Apparently, the cashier called out to me but I didn't hear her, hearing aid batteries were dying.

A "helpful" person touched my shoulder from behind and was very startled when I turned around quickly, dropped my cane and used that hand to lift the hem of my shirt while using the other hand to reach for my pistol. Reflex. I stopped before actually unholstering the pistol when I realized what was going on.

I haven't been back to that bank since then. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Just the subconscious taking over for us, nothing more.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How can I develop muscle memory when my fat has Alzheimer's?

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Myelination = "muscle memory"

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:
How can I develop muscle memory when my fat has Alzheimer's?

Coffee--->nose--->

I started seriously learning with a 1911 and BHP. Lots, and lots, and lots of rounds down range with those. (Thank you Uncle Sam!) I haven't carried one in over 20 years. Oh yeah, I still shoot them, and shoot them well.
Sig P226 DAO, then P220 DAO, now Glock...
I still have this funny little automatic response of dragging my thumb down to disengage a safety that isn't there.

I have no problem doing it now, and I don't see it as an added "thing you don't need to do" or an "extra, unnecessary step". Hopefully, if I'm ever allowed to retire and leave this place, I'm probably going back to a BHP as my EDC. There's a real nice custom 1911 in the safe that would make a pretty BBQ gun.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post