SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How often did u clean ur weapon.
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How often did u clean ur weapon. Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I used to clean every one after every trip, but not any more. I figure they are designed to run dirty at least to a point. So, I clean them when I think they need it, it's a judgement thing and a time thing.

I also used to take quite a few guns to the range every trip. That made cleaning them after each trip, even with only 50 rounds through them, burdensome. So, I take fewer guns and am more likely to clean them after every couple of range trips.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I still take apart my carry guns every few months to wipe out the dust and lint and re-lube.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I still believe that you clean your firearm after every use. I also subscribe to the idea that the gun is not clean until the magazines are clean.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone has their own way of dealing with cleaning. On my high end 1911's I just do not clean them until I shoot at least 500 rounds. If they are set up correctly and well lubed this works for me. In new 1911's I deliberately do NOT clean them for at least 1000 rounds...They develop a fine grit from the lube and as they wear in....this actually helps polish the parts...Some high end 1911 manufacturers will tell you DO NOT clean until X # of rounds.

My EDC guns are different - much more concerned that they work - so I am more fastidious about them.

Sigs run well dirty .. I disassemble and clean after a few outings..

Posts: 179 | Registered: September 02, 2014Report This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I wipe fingerprints and soot off blued guns after use. I clean them if/when I get malfunctions or I start feeling guilty.

I went 10K rounds on a Ruger 22/45 without cleaning. Just pulled the bolt a couple times and sprayed it down. Zero malfunctions other than 2 duds.

I keep my SIGs' rails lubed and the ramp area wiped down, and the barrel oiled when I remember.

Same with 1911s, though I drop some oil into the locking lugs and down into the hammer, and onto the disconnector every few hundred.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Report This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My grandfather made me clean the .22 rifle every time I took it out and shot it (nothing dramatic, but run a patch thru the barrel and a squirt of oil and rub it down with a rag to get sweaty fingerprints off of it).

Kindof stuck with me. So, after each range trip and the ones that are in the safe get looked at once a year just to check.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’d guess about 500 rds but on some guns that might be 2 years.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Once a round is fired, the gun gets cleaned before sundown. I know it is probably not necessary, but it is how I was raised.

I have never had a firearm fail because it was too clean.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Report This Post
Picture of ALLEGRO1957
posted Hide Post
I'm just one of those guys that likes taking them apart and cleaning them. Heck, I sometimes clean by friends guns after a day at the range. I enjoy it.

Be a productive citizen but always be prepared

and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I do my best to clean my weapons after every use. I find it relaxing. It feeds the part of my brain that thrives for cleanliness and order.

Now, I’m horrible at cleaning mags. I don’t nearly spend enough time keeping them clean and free of debris.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Report This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Once a round is fired, the gun gets cleaned before sundown. I know it is probably not necessary, but it is how I was raised.

This right here. It doesn't go back in the safe until it's clean.

Posts: 8595 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
We're talking about firearms, right?

Ooh, you had to say that didn't you... Razz

I used to like the ritual of cleaning all of my guns after each range visit. Then suddenly, without so much as a warning, one day it became a chore. I generally use '500 rounds' as my guide as to how often I give them a field strip clean, but I will extend it out further with others, including my EDC. Shockingly, some of my guns remain dead nuts reliable (gasp), regardless of what is the prevailing thoughts of 'internet experts' is. I will wipe my EDC down often however; carrying a gun daily brings its own brand of 'yuckiness' to the experience, regardless of how often it's shot or how many boolits get passed through its barrel between cleanings.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I lube often, wipe down/out carry and duty guns frequently, but fully clean rarely.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have a spreadsheet with every gun listed , when it was last cleaned, what lube I used, how many rounds fired, any malfunctions and what type of malfunction, any upgrades or replacement of parts, etc.

Self defense guns are always clean and lubricated AND inspected for wear and tear or broken parts. I have , many times over the years, found a broken or worn part during cleaning. Don’t clean and inspect that gun, and you’ll never know that it is broken or in need of repair.

If the gun is just a plinking gun or range gun only, then who cares. Clean it every decade if you want.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m very bad. My personal guns I might clean once or twice a year. My duty gun? Meh. Last time it got drenched and soaked, I just shook it off and made sure no water was pooling in my holster.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In the service we had a PMS (preventative maintenance schedule) for everything..guns, watertight doors, engines, everything...the schedule went like this,
prefire
Postfire
Daily
Weekly
Monthly
Quarterly
Bi quarterly
Annually
biannually
Layup.

That’s a lot of cleaning,checking,and lubing..
Frankly the military taught me we clean our guns too much, and sailors can screwup an anvil if left to it...

I clean my EDC when it’s been exposed to rain or gets dirty. I put a few drops of oil on the spots a Glock needs and don’t overly worry about it. (When I carried a gun as a cop my P226 got wiped down weekly with a oil rag, but if it got rained on it was torn down to parade rest and cleaned.)

All my other guns get cleaned when they get put back in the safe...some times I don’t...(like I shot five rounds in my revolver to check a new reload). Black powder guns get cleaned before the sun sets.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My range guns every couple years (as long as they haven't been fired a ton.) My EDC I clean after every time I fire it.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

There was a time in the era of corrosive primers ( likely before any of us were even born!) that this was true
It has not been the case for a very very long time.
If I luck into some ammo I know or suspect is corrosive then I clean soon after shooting definitely same day.
I suspect many of us were raised by shooters who grew up in the corrosive primer era and gun cleaning was critical. We do tend to carry on whatever tradition we were raised with. Thankfully the US Army did not brainwash me with the white glove inspection clean nonsense they promoted.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Report This Post