SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Keltec P50 5.7 x 28. 50 round pistol?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keltec P50 5.7 x 28. 50 round pistol? Login/Join 
Picture of Beanhead
posted

Anyone hear anything?

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great. Another gun that you can rarely if ever find any ammo for. But when you do find some, it's more expensive to shoot than .308.

Our shop gets as nearly as many queries about 5.7 availability as we do for 40S&W and 45ACP.

-MG

Posts: 1921 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Great. Another gun that you can rarely if ever find any ammo for.

It's okay because you wont be able to get the gun either.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
It's another offering in a unique caliber. And it will eventually lead to the lowering of ammo prices for us all. And that's a good thing.

On another note ... is that a FN P90 magazine this gun is using?

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's another offering in a unique caliber. And it will eventually lead to the lowering of ammo prices for us all. And that's a good thing.

Fat chance of that happening unless someone other than FN FINALLY chooses to load for this caliber. Even the current Federal-branded 5.7 is manufactured by FN.

-MG

Posts: 1921 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:

On another note ... is that a FN P90 magazine this gun is using?

It looks like a P90 mag, and I can’t see Keltec spending money developing their own mag that looks almost exactly like the FN mag. That means it will be a pretty big pistol.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
The answer to a question that wasn't asked.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
The answer to a question that wasn't asked.

Yup, the only gun the world needs is the Glock 19. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Fat chance of that happening unless someone other than FN FINALLY chooses to load for this caliber. Even the current Federal-branded 5.7 is manufactured by FN.[/QUOTE]

Federal is already loading for the 5.7X28, and it's already caused prices to drop. And that was before Ruger started offering their version of the gun. (Also, don't forget that Speer is gearing up to offer a 5.7 Gold Dot. Now with Kel-Tek in the mix, I'm sure we'll see other guns in this caliber. (Like a Ruger Take-down Carbine ... hint, hint).

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember things differently. In the months before Rona, 5.7 prices were creeping upward, not down. Regular customers were complaining that even shopping online their 5.7 'fix' was getting more expensive. FN-branded ammo that used to hover around $20 for a box of 50 had risen to $30 (at the time we were at $32-$34 for the same stuff). Even the wimpier Federal AE stuff that FN makes had jumped up to $25 a box online. Again, our price was a couple of dollars more with that product just like the FN-branded boxes.

If Federal is actually doing their own loads of 5.7, I've not seen it. I've only seen FN loads packaged in Federal boxes. I do remember seeing the order sheets for the CCI/Speer 5.7, but since CCI/Speer and Federal are both part of Vista Outdoors, I won't be convinced that any of the Gold Dot product is actually made in Idaho (beyond the actual HP bullets themselves) until I actually see their product in person.

-MG

Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
I seem to remember things differently. In the months before Rona, 5.7 prices were creeping upward, not down. Regular customers were complaining that even shopping online their 5.7 'fix' was getting more expensive. FN-branded ammo that used to hover around $20 for a box of 50 had risen to $30 (at the time we were at $32-$34 for the same stuff). Even the wimpier Federal AE stuff that FN makes had jumped up to $25 a box online. Again, our price was a couple of dollars more with that product just like the FN-branded boxes.

If Federal is actually doing their own loads of 5.7, I've not seen it. I've only seen FN loads packaged in Federal boxes. I do remember seeing the order sheets for the CCI/Speer 5.7, but since CCI/Speer and Federal are both part of Vista Outdoors, I won't be convinced that any of the Gold Dot product is actually made in Idaho (beyond the actual HP bullets themselves) until I actually see their product in person.

Around NY, the FN stuff was running around $35.00 and the Federals were around $29.00. Then the prices started dropping with the Federals around $22.00-24.00. Back in the early Spring, pre-COVID, I was on a wait list for the Gold Dots, but never received a confirmation email.

Anyway, I just believe that any gun marketed in this caliber might be beneficial for the caliber.

Now, if only we mortals were privy to the restricted ammo?

posted Hide Post
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know everyone bags on Keltec but is there a more innovative company than them. At least they have the balls to take some chances whether you like what they have or not.

Posts: 3871 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Better question: How do you reload it without taking half the gun apart?

Posts: 4120 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Better question: How do you reload it without taking half the gun apart?

I'm guessing the magazine ejects to the side.
Might need a chest rig to carry a reload.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet it’ll be meant to put a brace on. If the price is right and it functions then it’ll be a hit. Just wish companies other than kel Tec would make these guns kel Tec comes up with

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw some additional info on arfcom, but can’t find the thread again. The top is a clamshell to insert or remove the mag. 9” barrel. 3.5 lb weight. MSRP $1K.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
That's most likely a PS90 magazine (why would they bother reinventing?) and there's only so many ways to stack 50 rounds.
So, for scale assume it's a PS90 mag, which makes that an AR-sized pistol. Speaking of scale, that looks to be a very tiny grip....

Given the PS90 is a very small bullpup carbine, it would be interesting to see the two in the same photograph, to compare relative sizes.

At any rate, glad to see some more design work in this caliber. It's fun to shoot, and more interest and product activity in 5.7x28 can only help to drive volume up and costs down.

Posts: 14996 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I bet it’ll be meant to put a brace on. If the price is right and it functions then it’ll be a hit. Just wish companies other than kel Tec would make these guns kel Tec comes up with

Be patient, Ruger will rip them off, all in good time.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/p50/

A 3.2 lb pistol with a 9.6 inch barrel. No obvious or standard attachment for a brace or stock, if you want SBR. I applauded their innovation, but other than 10 more rounds, don’t see this as being better than just buying a CMMG 5.7 upper and their 40 round mags, that can go right on a standard AR lower.