SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P239 addiction
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P239 addiction Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
Fellow member here let me have this one... it came in 40 caliber but I've put a stainless upper on it with a 357 barrel.... I had to have another one since I let one go to a good friend a year ago.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
An outstanding handgun, with the 357Sig all one needs for most purposes.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
They're a great pistol. Mine is just like yours but made two-tone and .40 S&W. The only difference was I got some SIG Sauer-branded CT grips through Mississippi Gal and 9/357 conversion barrels from R2Mach1. My only regret was I didn't order it DAK.

In fact, my avatar from an anime is shooting a 239 TT and the reason I got it. I already had a 229 DAK which is why I regret the SA/DA.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Cool

Loving those Hogue grips on that P239, Mr Blume.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of the P239. I got the black one new for $330 in 2004 due to a pricing error. It’s the gun that’s been in my collection longest and I still carry it.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I sold mine to my father in law.
That was a silly thing to do.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I love the P239 and the 357SIG cartridge.

I was first exposed to the 357SIG cartridge in the mid 90s when I was working Texas. The DPS was testing it as their new departmental cartridge in the P226. DPS eventually adopted the P239 for those that did not need the full size pistol, this occurred in the early 2000s .

My DPS gun is the one with the 405 inventory number on it. Somewhere along the line, the Agency wanted a extra round and SIG developed the longer magazine for us. They only hung out a tiny bit. I do not remember what year that was.

These were not shiny blue mags like came with commercial P239s. These were phosphate coated for improved corrosion resistance. A big box of them showed up in sealed little baggies and we all just grabbed a handful

I guess SIG overestimated the demand for the +1 357SIG magazines because they were soon selling the spring and base plate as an add on kit. You also saw many of the magazine bodies with the extra witness hole assembled into a standard capacity magazine.

Over the years other P239s were added to the herd, all of them are 357SIG pistols. The US Secret Service adoped the cartridge and gun.

SIG did a small run in satin nickel which I thought looked GREAT with the Nills grips. This finish was actually done by Robar. This was the April 2005 Gun of the Month. Only 210 were produced. It shipped as a 40S&W, but I replaced the barrel right away. I never fired a round of 40 through mine.

The true Two Ton P239s also looked good. These were not just blue guns with stainless slides, the slide and controls were all nickel plated so they would have the same finish. I put checkered Hogue Kingwood grips on mine

I did purchase a P239 threaded 9MM barrel for suppressed shooting.

The P239 is the only SIG that I know of that did not require a conversion barrel to go from the larger cartridges to the 9MM. The OEM Factory barrels worked just fine. The pistol is also 100% reliable using 9MM ammunition in the 357SIG magazines.

I use the suppressor mostly on my second two tome P239. This one is wearing the Nills grips but also has a LaserMax laser guide rod installed. You will notice the switch which is mounted inside the take down lever

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a question, if you have a 357 P239 can you just get a factory 40 to shoot 40? If factory barrels even exist anymore

Posts: 267 | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Whenever I think of the P239, Blume9mm comes to mind Wink

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a fo-tay. And its one of the best shooting .40s I have ever shot.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my 239 a little over two years ago, wanted a .40 and found one listed on gun broker 20 miles away, won it for 350 and when a did a face to face to pick it up the guy dropped it to 3 since he didnt have to ship or do a dealer. Two tone and it's a sweet shooter.

Posts: 95 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USCO160:
I got a question, if you have a 357 P239 can you just get a factory 40 to shoot 40? If factory barrels even exist anymore
Absolutely YES

However you need to pay attention to the magazines. For a strange reason SIG chose to make a 357SIG specific mag even though it was not necessary. The 357 marked magazines will not work with the 40S&W cartridge as it has ridges to taper in at the front of the bottle neck. It will however work wonderfully with 9MM ammunition

The P239 magazine marked 40S&W will work interchangeably with the 40 or 357 cartridges. There are also reports that they work just fine with 9MM as well, however I have so many 357SIG mags on hand it is not worht trying for me

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yep... either the 40 or 357 mags will work with 9mm. At least they do on the range... I would not do it with a carry or home defense pistol.

As may have even been mentioned above... you can actually just change the barrel on a 357/40 P239 to 9mm and it will function.... usually don't even need to change out the recoil spring. Makes practicing with an original either 357 or 40 cal P239 a tad cheaper as well as easier on one's hands.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I see a thread like this I want to take one of my 239's out of the safe and carry it. So because I'm working today, I think it will be a 239 day with several extra mags.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post

My favorite carry gun for a number of years. I still carry it on occasion.

Jim

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jimbo54,

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in .357 as well. Bought a .40, and then installed a Bar-Sto .357 barrel.

Anyone have an 8 round mag or two they would like to sell?

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Jimbo54 or someone else... I'm interested in that holster pictured above.... what brand and type is it?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
Great thread guys, 239's my favorite. What a picture show!

Posts: 49 | Registered: October 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I stupidly sold a 357 P239, along with two OWB holsters. What was I thinking?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I stupidly sold a 357 P239, along with two OWB holsters. What was I thinking?

I'll see your 357 (mine was a SAS two-tone, sold here) and raise you a 9mm. They just never felt "right" to me, although they're objectively great pieces.

With more time on my hands-- and Mitch Rosen / Milt Sparks holsters, along with extra mags, still in the closet-- I can't help but look at them again. Third time's the charm, maybe?

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post