SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Light pistol for hiking
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light pistol for hiking Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
I could use some suggestions for a lightweight pistol to take hiking. Most of my current options are too heavy when it's 90 to 100 degrees and I'm going up a few thousand feet of elevation. I'd prefer something in 9 or .38/.357. Thank you!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ackks,

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one of these newer S&W M&P polymer revolvers and I’m very impressed with it. It’s lightweight but handles .38+p extremely well. I paid under $400 for mine about 3.5 years ago, not sure what they are up to now but MSRP is only $450. Everyone who I’ve let shoot it likes it.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/p...odyguard-38-no-laser

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have an S&W 360j in .38+P that I carry when hiking most places east of the Mississippi. It's 13oz and just straight up disappears in a pack, pocket, or on a belt.

If I want more capacity, I have a P250 in 9mm. It has a long, safe, revolver-like trigger pull, it's lightweight, and easy to takedown and clean the internals in the field.

For out west, when I want something bigger, I take the S&W Model 69 2 3/4". It's heavier, but being in .44 it hits a lot harder too.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
The Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum fills this role perfectly.
The hot Speer Gold Dots produce 500 ft-lbs of muzzle energy in this caliber, and you get six round capacity (instead of five in the other small revolvers).

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
P320 too heavy?
P365?

What do you currently have, or are you looking for a new purchase?

Revolver preferred, or semi ok?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
My AZ hot weather carry:

S&W 642 - .38 SPL +P - Airweight

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a HK P30 for hunting but if that is too heavy get a Shield or Sig 365XL or Max.

PB

Posts: 65 | Registered: November 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ounces equal pounds when hiking. G43 or 43X is my go-to but I also use a S&W bodyguard poly 38spl.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I'm at 5500 ft elevation. If it's going in a pack, I use a HK USPc DA/SA. If it in a holster when hot outside @ P365

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I picked up a p365 for hiking duty and it kind of took over for all my carry needs.

I'll probably pick up a Glock 29 soon that I'll probably transition to for a woods gun.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Smith & Wesson 327.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
The kind of trouble you might encounter comes into play. 2-legged problems a Glock 43 is so light you won't feel it. If 4-legged trouble a Glock 29SF with a chest rig and Underwood will easily deal with everything if you aren't facing Grizzlies. Chest rig won't interfere with backpack straps and whips out fast if needed.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1531 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G48. Light, flat with Glock reliability. There is an MOS model too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. I take a Bodyguard 380, which isn't heavy, but I'd like something with more stopping power. I've also taken an XD9 Subcompact, which feels like a brick on my hip (26 oz unloaded).

I usually start at 8700 ft., go up from there, and prefer to have it in a holster.

quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
The kind of trouble you might encounter comes into play. 2-legged problems a Glock 43 is so light you won't feel it. If 4-legged trouble a Glock 29SF with a chest rig and Underwood will easily deal with everything if you aren't facing Grizzlies. Chest rig won't interfere with backpack straps and whips out fast if needed.

The backpack straps are a problem as well. I'd love to use a chest rig, but I prefer not to advertise what I carry. Cougars scare me more than anything where I hike, but they will either get me from behind or hopefully be scared off by a few shots.

posted Hide Post
Ruger LCR in .357. Not a fun one to shoot during practice with full-on outdoor loads, but if bears ever become an issue I doubt you'd notice in that moment.

9mm is generally good enough to dispatch a mountain lion, but around here they're usually on top of you before you'd even get a clue that they're there on your six. I haven't done much higher terrain hiking/hunting in some time and rarely have I gone over 7500', but I'm one with a mindset that would not sacrifice on firepower or ease of deployment. A chest rig is an absolute must for me both for access and maintaining a centrally balanced disposition, whether it was with my GP100 before, or my G20 now.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Ruger LCR in .357. Not a fun one to shoot during practice with full-on outdoor loads, but if bears ever become an issue I doubt you'd notice in that moment.

9mm is generally good enough to dispatch a mountain lion, but around here they're usually on top of you before you'd even get a clue that they're there on your six. I haven't done much higher terrain hiking/hunting in some time and rarely have I gone over 7500', but I'm one with a mindset that would not sacrifice on firepower or ease of deployment. A chest rig is an absolute must for me both for access and maintaining a centrally balanced disposition, whether it was with my GP100 before, or my G20 now.

Yeah, they can be on my back before I know what is happening. There isn't much I can do about that, so I'm more concerned with what we saw in those YouTube videos where the mom was trying to back hikers away from her babies.

I carry in the front most of the time because of my backpack.

posted Hide Post
90-100 degrees, 1000ft elevation changes, that's pretty much the entire Sierra, Cascades and Rockies in the Summer/Fall. The majority of threats in the backcountry, are of the two-legged variety, aggressive animals are pretty rare. Carrying a blaster in the backcountry is both a weight penalty and, a comfort item. Trail sense is a skill you have to develop with many hikes and trips, maintaining some backcountry awareness, not being the mule on the trail (head-down, plodding along...), if it's bear county, wearing a bell or, two, announcing your presence when coming across heavy brush. If you're using hiking poles, have some idea or, develop, some defensive skills with them.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The LCRx revolvers are quite nice and can be had with longer barrels. I would want something in the .38 jhp/.357 range dealing with big predators and small.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be carrying something capable of dealing with common threats if it's going to be the only defensive weapon. Most full sized alloy/polymer frame pistols aren't that heavy.

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kobren:
I'd be carrying something capable of dealing with common threats if it's going to be the only defensive weapon. Most full sized alloy/polymer frame pistols aren't that heavy.

Yeah, but when you are going up 1500-2500 feet (starting at 6-8k) over a few miles you start to feel what you are carrying. Everyone is different, but even the XD sub 9 at 26 oz wasn't fun to bring. Now, if I'm camping in the Tetons I'd carry something larger.