SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Light pistol for hiking
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light pistol for hiking Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I'll pick one up. Are they all made the same? I see quite a few on Amazon.

quote:
Originally posted by Monti:
Can't go wrong with a Ruger SP101 3" in .357 Magnum. I carry a S&W mod 66-8 2.75" .357 Magnum, it's weight doesn't bother me at all, and carry in a should holster.

I knew a large dealer who said he could carry anything he wanted and the Sp101 was his choice.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
So I'm buying an optic for my Glock 19. Is there a big difference between the Trijicon and the Holosun?

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll pick one up. Are they all made the same? I see quite a few on Amazon

I've only made my own, so I can't speak to quality...I'd probably go off the amazon reviews. I imagine like anything you probably get what you pay for.

quote:
So I'm buying an optic for my Glock 19. Is there a big difference between the Trijicon and the Holosun?

I have a Holosun 407C and an RMR. Both have been reliable for me. The RMR is kind of the industry standard for durability, but the Holosun is well regarded in that respect as well. I like the clearer glass of the Holosun better, and their battery tray is also a much better design. The RMR has better buttons, but since I pretty much set it and forget it, that's not as much of a value add as one might think. Were I to need another, I'd probably get a Holosun...I hate to buy Chinese, but it's a better design at 1/2 the price.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I bought the SCS and love the setup. If I hadn't been looking at the 43x I wouldn't have picked up the 19.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
So I bought the Glock 19 Gen 5 last week, and the mags won't seat when the slide is forward. They load fine when it's back, but resistance prevents them from locking into place when it's forward with the three mags I’ve tried (all 2 rounds under capacity). I own a few Glocks, and this has never happened before. Has this happened to anyone else?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So you're downloading them by two and they still won't seat? I'm not a big Glock guy, so it's entirely possible it happens and I just haven't seen it...but I've never seen it. My FIL has a Gen 5 19 and it seats a fully-loaded mag just fine. Have you tried smacking the baseplate?

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
It has probably already been suggested but a G43x. Light, compact, reliable, capable of handling +P loads including FMJ penetrator loads. You can boost capacity to 15 instead of 10 by installing Shield metal mag catch and then utilizing metal Shield mags.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
So I bought the Glock 19 Gen 5 last week, and the mags won't seat when the slide is forward. They load fine when it's back, but resistance prevents them from locking into place when it's forward with the three mags I’ve tried (all 2 rounds under capacity). I own a few Glocks, and this has never happened before. Has this happened to anyone else?

Downloaded they won’t seat??? That’s weird. My only WAG is maybe there was a bad run of assembled mags and three you got are mis-assembled???? I’ve seen this before, not with Glock, but I have seen a mag from the factory not have its guts assembled correctly so I’d try a take down and reassemble just as an easy first step, but other than that I really got nothing.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
So you're downloading them by two and they still won't seat? I'm not a big Glock guy, so it's entirely possible it happens and I just haven't seen it...but I've never seen it. My FIL has a Gen 5 19 and it seats a fully-loaded mag just fine. Have you tried smacking the baseplate?

It will seat if I smack it or shove the mag in hard. With all the pistols I own I've never had this issue.

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

Downloaded they won’t seat??? That’s weird. My only WAG is maybe there was a bad run of assembled mags and three you got are mis-assembled???? I’ve seen this before, not with Glock, but I have seen a mag from the factory not have its guts assembled correctly so I’d try a take down and reassemble just as an easy first step, but other than that I really got nothing.

Yes, I have 13 in a 15 round mag. One of the mags was bought separately. They go in just fine when the slide is back, but forward you have to smack them or shove it in very hard. I'm wondering if it's something on the slide?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ok, so if you fill them to full capacity will they still seat with a smack or hard push? If so, I'd say that's pretty normal...seating the mag under a closed slide is always going to require some force as it will need to compress the spring a bit before it engages the mag catch...and the required force naturally increases with more rounds in the mag as the spring's compression increases.

I always beat my guns like red-headed step children when I seat a mag, and when I have time I also give the baseplate a tug to make sure it's fully-seated. So as long as it seats with a good tap, I figure it's acceptable. Most of my modern poly guns take a bit more force than my older stuff like 1911s and classic Sigs, but they still seat securely. It's kind of hard to say without actually having your gun in hand as your idea of a reasonable amount of force may differ from mine.

If it won't seat at all regardless of force applied when loaded to full capacity you definitely have a problem.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I give mine a good smack as well but I don't have any Glocks that have exhibited what Ackks is saying is happening.

If its a variety of mags I wonder if the rail that pushes the round out of the mag (I NEVER REMEMBER THIS PART NAME Frown) is out of spec or at the hairy edge of in spec and causing more difficulty on insertion?

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It's hard to explain, but there is an amount of force I'm used to using on mags if it's a Sig, FN, XD, Glock, etc., and this one doesn't seat with that normal force. Again, when the slide is back, it functions like I'm used to, but if I use that same force when it's forward, it will stick out 3/16 of an inch unless I slam it in or whack it afterward.

I called Glock, and they said they tightened things up on the Gen 5 vs. Gen 4, and it's a combination of the feed rail being tighter along with the springs on the mags they are producing. He said things will loosen up after a while. I'm going to grab some older mags and try them out.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For what it’s worth I have a couple Gen 5’s and haven’t experienced what you are. Now don’t get me wrong new Glock mags, especially the smaller ones can be a royal pain to load early on but I’ve never had issue with mag insertion into the firearm, but like 92fstech when I load a mag it gets a fairly decent “love tap” Smile on the way in.

Picture of Tarheelfan84
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a S&W model 65 with a 3 inch barrel. They are out of production but can be found if you look and have a little patience. Hard to beat a K frame in 357 magnum with a 3 inch barrel for hiking/woods use.

Posts: 677 | Location: WNC  | Registered: March 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post