New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual P228 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, whether or not you should have known better, that dealer damn sure knew better.

I had heard mixed reviews about this particular shop, but it's the only gun store close to where I live in the blue part of my state.

Thought I'd give them a try. They're definitely on the bad list regardless of how they handle the return. The only explanations here are gross incompetence or malfeasance.

Posts: 24 | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's the latter. No firearms dealer who has been in the business for any length of time is gonna miss this. The serial number alone is a dead giveaway. When they entered that pistol into their bound book, they recorded the serial number. That serial number on a P228 is a dead giveaway.

Posts: 107672 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I would question the dealer on is not realizing he serial was questionable. If it had what appeared to be a normal Sig serial I’m not sure if i’d Expect the shop to notice the lack of serrations on the front of the trigger guard or the other little differences. We definitely have some Sig experts here in the forum, but I would take a guess that 90% of gun shops would not notice a difference in serrations on a P228. The serial is a super questionable thing and should be noticed by almost any dealer regardless of their Sig knowledge.

Unless the shop is purposely being shady I would hope the return goes well. Good luck

Posts: 1307 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
As a dealer/manufacturer I’ll also add, the fact that it doesn’t have a manufacturer’s name, city, and state is also a dead giveaway if it was supposed to be from a licensed manufacturer.

That would be a violation in accordance with ATF marking regulations.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1202 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got an email from Sig confirming that the frame is not Sig manufactured.

Final piece of evidence I was looking for. Planning to attempt the return tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how things turn out.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by policetruck:
As a dealer/manufacturer I’ll also add, the fact that it doesn’t have a manufacturer’s name, city, and state is also a dead giveaway if it was supposed to be from a licensed manufacturer.

OP's gun has all that info on the slide.

Q

Posts: 26436 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCA_PSCI:
Got an email from Sig confirming that the frame is not Sig manufactured.

Final piece of evidence I was looking for. Planning to attempt the return tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how things turn out.

That's good you have the factory to back you up. They cannot deny it, now.

Q

Posts: 26436 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can you post the specific reg? I'd like to have it handy if needed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

The slide isn't considered the firearm though. The frame is the serialized part and is unmarked except for the "serial number."

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

The slide isn't considered the firearm though. The frame is the serialized part and is unmarked except for the "serial number."

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/f...erification-overview

Serial number has to be on the receiver/fame. Model designation, country of origin, and manufacturer's name can be on frame, slide, or even barrel.

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Real factory guns.

Q

posted Hide Post
Just left the shop. They accepted the return and issued the refund without pushback.

The manager seemed to suggest that the person who did the original intake screwed up, but I don't know if I believe that. He recognized immediately that it wasn't a Sig serial number and admitted it.

Whatever happened, I'm done shopping there for good.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just left the shop. They accepted the return and issued the refund without pushback.

The manager seemed to suggest that the person who did the original intake screwed up, but I don't know if I believe that. He recognized immediately that it wasn't a Sig serial number and admitted it.

I am glad that was resolved easily. Someone not training their droids in handling the F troop forms is them just asking for trouble.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know if I'd write them off completely. IMO the shop handled it well and refunded your money without question. A gun shop is only as good as it's employees and good employees are hard to come by these days. If they're not a long term SIG dealer they might not have noticed there was a difference. I have a shop local to me that knows 1911's inside and out, they're a dealer for Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Baer, and many others. They can tell you the in's and out's of anything 1911 from any manufacturer. They also have a variety of other new fire arms for sale. But hand them a SIG and they probably know less than most as they simply don't specialize in them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

I don't know if I'd write them off completely. IMO the shop handled it well and refunded your money without question. A gun shop is only as good as it's employees and good employees are hard to come by these days. If they're not a long term SIG dealer they might not have noticed there was a difference. I have a shop local to me that knows 1911's inside and out, they're a dealer for Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Baer, and many others. They can tell you the in's and out's of anything 1911 from any manufacturer. They also have a variety of other new fire arms for sale. But hand them a SIG and they probably know less than most as they simply don't specialize in them.

It's possible, although based on the type of store they are ("tactical"), all of their employees should have known. Still it could have been the new guy doing his first solo intake.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Since that's a parts gun I would have seen about buying the slide and frame parts.

The frame they can keep.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Since that's a parts gun I would have seen about buying the slide and frame parts.

The frame they can keep.
"Here, take back this sham you sold me, but let me keep the good parts."

Come on

Posts: 107672 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
If you want to know how shady they are, go back in a few days. If the same gun is out labeled as a P228 again, they are shady.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ this will tell all.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
^^^ this will tell all.

What's funny is that if they marked it down to $300 and relabeled it as a "reproduction Sig P228" I might re-buy it just to get the parts.

And if it shoots, it could become a carry gun (unlike a West German P228 that has historical value).