Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual P228 Login/Join 
posted
I recently picked this P228 at a local gun store and I'm trying to figure out the strange serial number. I didn't think much of it at the time, but J-001 is certainly not a normal Sig serial.

https://imgur.com/a/jw9rR2O

Any idea what I might have here? It appears to be in good shape, and not heavily used. No German proof marks to be found anywhere, and no other marks on the frame other than the serial. I haven't shot it yet, but mechanically I found no issues at purchase.

Posts: 24 | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Somebody manufactured an aftermarket frame? That is not looking like the factory frame.

Q

Posts: 26426 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Probably an 80% frame. Matrix Precision, perhaps. As far as the slide and barrel go, later P228 assembly took place in the US, so no serial number was required on these parts, unlike P228s which were assembled in Germany.

Others here are more knowledgeable about the P228 so you should be able to get a more detailed answer.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So do I have a problem? I wasn't really looking for a collector's piece, just a functional P228.

An 80% frame would make sense, but whoever did it seemed to do a good job. I guess I won't really know for sure until I take it to the range.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It will probably function fine, but the only way you'll know for sure is to shoot it. If you want to be extra careful, you can have a gunsmith examine it.

When you hand-cycle the pistol, does it feel smooth? Does it lock up without any hitches? Make sure you lube the rails before shooting. SIGs like to be wet.

posted Hide Post
Everything is smooth, although the mag release is a tad sticky on occasion. It doesn't feel functionally different from my P226 (which definitely is real).

I feel dumb for not paying attention to the serial number. It being off just didn't click for some reason when I bought it. If it functions fine though, I won't complain.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The dead giveaway is the trigger guard. Looks thicker and slightly more squarrish than the factory gun. And, there are no horizontal serrations at the front of the trigger guard.

Q

Posts: 26426 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm noticing that. Should have really taken the time to compare it to the P226.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sooner or later, everyone who buys firearms makes mistakes. I've made my share. Next time, you'll be more careful. Live and learn.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yup. Not only have I made my shares of mistakes, but similar ones. Now, that's just dumb. Live and not learn. Roll Eyes

Q

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll take it for a spin and try to make the best of it. If it's really a lemon I'm hoping the shop will work with me.

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
I have a similar P220 frame marked EG 1082 (no other markings). It supposedly was last owned by a holster maker.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
I have a similar P220 frame marked EG 1082 (no other markings). It supposedly was last owned by a holster maker.

Any issues?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCA_PSCI:
Thanks guys. I'll take it for a spin and try to make the best of it. If it's really a lemon I'm hoping the shop will work with me.

If the shop misrepresented it to you as a real factory P228, then they need to take it back. That is, if you want to return it. I would, if it were me, without even shooting it.

Q

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:

Any issues?

I have a P220-1 kit but haven't attempted the assembly yet.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've decided that I'm going to return it. Hopefully the shop doesn't give me any issues. If they refuse the return I'll leave it with them and dispute with Amex.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've decided that I'm going to return it. Hopefully the shop doesn't give me any issues. If they refuse the return I'll leave it with them and dispute with Amex.

That is exactly what I would do with that. I'm not taking someone's garage made gun, especially if not represented as such when I purchased it.

On the bright side, if it doesn't fire you could always beat someone to death with that trigger guard.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If the shop misrepresented this pistol as a SIG P228, that's a deceptive business practice and AMEX will probably back you. If not, your state should have an office of consumer affairs and you can take your case to them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If the shop misrepresented this pistol as a SIG P228, that's a deceptive business practice and AMEX will probably back you. If not, your state should have an office of consumer affairs and you can take your case to them.

That's exactly how it was sold. Labeled Sig P228 without any indication that it wasn't what it appeared to be.

Of course I should have known better, but a complete layman could have very easily bought the same gun and have been none the wiser.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, whether or not you should have known better, that dealer damn sure knew better.