SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CCI is coming out with .22lr self-defense round
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCI is coming out with .22lr self-defense round Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
.22LR penetration test using clothing, meat, watermelon.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LpQEKhpuMco?si=FIUSXbmTi4RqKZdA&start=27" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

^^^^
Thank you for sharing. This video indirectly addresses a SIGforum long repeated topic - over penetration at home through walls. Errant rounds aside, the .22lr clearly isn't a big risk factor like other rounds.

I also like how he shot down any claims a .22lr is the new 10mm of the HD/SD world while pointing out it is effective.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
[drift]

^^^^WRT penetration of the lowly 22lr. I’ve been to suicides where the person “tested” their revolver to see if it would work by firing it at the wall/baseboard.

The 22lr will most definitely go thru walls. One “victim” (for lack of a better term) was inside his house and tested the gun at a wall, the bullet passed thru 2 layers of drywall (in an interior wall) and then thru one layer of drywall, insulation, 1/2” pine exterior clapboard and was not found.

Another scene found the man tested his from inside a front room and the round went thru the drywall, insulation, the 1/2” plywood and siding (vinyl) and was not found.

Each subject then used the gun to end their life.

I would say that any round is a risk of “over penetration” and has the capability of leaving your home, unless it’s brick veneer, concrete block or poured walls.

I’m sure you can search the “box o truth” on the google and find where many people have shot any ammo thru drywall and found that home construction is lacking in “my house is a good bullet trap”.

My mom has a beretta bobcat in 22lr due to arthritis and the recoil of a 38 is too much for her. I don’t disparage the 22lr. It may not be designed to be a self defense weapon, but if someone magdumped ten of them into you at say ten feet it wouldn’t be all rainbows and unicorns.

[/drift]

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
That is not what I said. Errant rounds i.e. could but the video showed that. 22lr was not penetrating the body.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Misunderstood you

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never seen the pork rib, watermelon, pork rib setup before. Lol.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
well, we now know that a .22LR will penetrate a pork chop, pork rib, and a watermelon!

Posts: 8574 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if my local grocer attacks me now I know what to use. lol

Posts: 7507 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Misunderstood you

^^^
I was probably too grumpy back as well. Sorry about that.

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1732 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's pretty funny.

If you have to use 22 LR, consider a 38 to 40 grain solid.

Or better, a 32 S&W (aka 32 Short). Zero recoil, reliable center fire vs non-reliable rimfire with much more stopping power (or killing power) over a 22 LR.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
I have 22 lr hollow points in my stash.
but when I carry a 22, I use solid, same with my 380 - I want penetration.
both are pretty much "get off me" guns and will be used point blank, not in a "firefight"

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Exactly. Great analogy, get off me guns. Nice.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your thread got me a little curious, and interested

About pocket carry.

My "go too" revolver guy is Ruger , so I looked up their
Concealed carry in .22 version.

$700.00 for a .22 revolver.

This is going to take considerably more thought.

Who make a nice six shot double action?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
$700 is about par for the course these days. The S&W 43C is typically even more than that, but that's the one I'd pick if I was looking for a .22LR pocket gun. The last 63-5 I saw was $750, and it wouldn't make the best pocket gun since it has a 3" barrel. Same goes for the 317. Other than those and your Ruger, you'd be looking at a Taurus 942, but I can't in good conscience recommend one of those based on my past experience with the company. People keep saying they've gotten better...YMMV.

Also, most of them aren't six-shooters anymore. Most current production small-frame .22 revolvers have cylinders drilled for 8.

Posts: 8574 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
...Most current production small-frame .22 revolvers have cylinders drilled for 8.

Like the LCR-22:

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5410.html

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
22Plinkster just released an excellent video on the CCI Uppercut on his YouTube channel. Just about all the comments (pro & con) in the three pages of this thread are addressed in his video.

He actually fires it through two, yes two, 2x4's.

The CCI Uppercut bullet seems to essentially be a scaled down Speer Gold Dot. CCI clearly put a lot of effort into this.

22Plinkster also addresses revolver usage for the CCI Uppercut as well as using it in too short a barrel. He also fires them through a Ruger 10/22.

He also compares it to the Federal Punch.

I've been reading and hearing comments for decades like: "if you shoot someone with a .22LR and they find out, they're going to be quite mad at you." And other such nonsense.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ALLEGRO1957
posted Hide Post
JUMBO shrimp

Be a productive citizen but always be prepared

Posts: 43 | Registered: October 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post