CCI is coming out with .22lr self-defense round

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5220055505

December 30, 2023, 11:02 AM
BB61
CCI is coming out with .22lr self-defense round
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
.22LR penetration test using clothing, meat, watermelon.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LpQEKhpuMco?si=FIUSXbmTi4RqKZdA&start=27" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

^^^^
Thank you for sharing. This video indirectly addresses a SIGforum long repeated topic - over penetration at home through walls. Errant rounds aside, the .22lr clearly isn't a big risk factor like other rounds.

I also like how he shot down any claims a .22lr is the new 10mm of the HD/SD world while pointing out it is effective.

December 30, 2023, 08:59 PM
MikeinNC
[drift]

^^^^WRT penetration of the lowly 22lr. I’ve been to suicides where the person “tested” their revolver to see if it would work by firing it at the wall/baseboard.

The 22lr will most definitely go thru walls. One “victim” (for lack of a better term) was inside his house and tested the gun at a wall, the bullet passed thru 2 layers of drywall (in an interior wall) and then thru one layer of drywall, insulation, 1/2” pine exterior clapboard and was not found.

Another scene found the man tested his from inside a front room and the round went thru the drywall, insulation, the 1/2” plywood and siding (vinyl) and was not found.

Each subject then used the gun to end their life.

I would say that any round is a risk of “over penetration” and has the capability of leaving your home, unless it’s brick veneer, concrete block or poured walls.

I’m sure you can search the “box o truth” on the google and find where many people have shot any ammo thru drywall and found that home construction is lacking in “my house is a good bullet trap”.

My mom has a beretta bobcat in 22lr due to arthritis and the recoil of a 38 is too much for her. I don’t disparage the 22lr. It may not be designed to be a self defense weapon, but if someone magdumped ten of them into you at say ten feet it wouldn’t be all rainbows and unicorns.

[/drift]

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
December 30, 2023, 09:20 PM
BB61
That is not what I said. Errant rounds i.e. could but the video showed that. 22lr was not penetrating the body.

December 30, 2023, 10:26 PM
MikeinNC
Misunderstood you

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
December 31, 2023, 02:59 PM
pedropcola
I had never seen the pork rib, watermelon, pork rib setup before. Lol.
December 31, 2023, 03:25 PM
92fstech
well, we now know that a .22LR will penetrate a pork chop, pork rib, and a watermelon!
December 31, 2023, 04:30 PM
pedropcola
Well if my local grocer attacks me now I know what to use. lol
December 31, 2023, 11:42 PM
BB61
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Misunderstood you

^^^
I was probably too grumpy back as well. Sorry about that.

January 06, 2024, 03:37 PM
akcopnfbks

January 08, 2024, 06:56 PM
wrightd
That's pretty funny.

If you have to use 22 LR, consider a 38 to 40 grain solid.

Or better, a 32 S&W (aka 32 Short). Zero recoil, reliable center fire vs non-reliable rimfire with much more stopping power (or killing power) over a 22 LR.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
January 11, 2024, 04:19 PM
Mr. Peteroniman
I have 22 lr hollow points in my stash.
but when I carry a 22, I use solid, same with my 380 - I want penetration.
both are pretty much "get off me" guns and will be used point blank, not in a "firefight"

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz
January 11, 2024, 04:58 PM
wrightd
Exactly. Great analogy, get off me guns. Nice.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
January 16, 2024, 06:04 PM
bendable
Your thread got me a little curious, and interested

About pocket carry.

My "go too" revolver guy is Ruger , so I looked up their
Concealed carry in .22 version.

$700.00 for a .22 revolver.

This is going to take considerably more thought.

Who make a nice six shot double action?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
January 16, 2024, 06:12 PM
92fstech
$700 is about par for the course these days. The S&W 43C is typically even more than that, but that's the one I'd pick if I was looking for a .22LR pocket gun. The last 63-5 I saw was $750, and it wouldn't make the best pocket gun since it has a 3" barrel. Same goes for the 317. Other than those and your Ruger, you'd be looking at a Taurus 942, but I can't in good conscience recommend one of those based on my past experience with the company. People keep saying they've gotten better...YMMV.

Also, most of them aren't six-shooters anymore. Most current production small-frame .22 revolvers have cylinders drilled for 8.
January 16, 2024, 09:14 PM
Sigmund
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
...Most current production small-frame .22 revolvers have cylinders drilled for 8.

Like the LCR-22:

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5410.html
January 21, 2024, 09:54 PM
TN Mark
22Plinkster just released an excellent video on the CCI Uppercut on his YouTube channel. Just about all the comments (pro & con) in the three pages of this thread are addressed in his video.

He actually fires it through two, yes two, 2x4's.

The CCI Uppercut bullet seems to essentially be a scaled down Speer Gold Dot. CCI clearly put a lot of effort into this.

22Plinkster also addresses revolver usage for the CCI Uppercut as well as using it in too short a barrel. He also fires them through a Ruger 10/22.

He also compares it to the Federal Punch.

I've been reading and hearing comments for decades like: "if you shoot someone with a .22LR and they find out, they're going to be quite mad at you." And other such nonsense.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org
January 22, 2024, 11:46 PM
ALLEGRO1957
JUMBO shrimp

Be a productive citizen but always be prepared