SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How similar to a 1911 is the P220 Legion SAO?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How similar to a 1911 is the P220 Legion SAO? Login/Join 
posted
I have a DA/SA P220 and several 1911s, but am eyeing the 220 Legion. On my P226 Legion SAO, the slide can be cycled with the safety on. I like that. Other than that, are there any significant advantages of the 220SAO over a full size 1911?

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I can't find any. Although it depends on which brand and model.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I don't know if it's an advantage, but I like the way the SIG SAO thumb safety works. It blocks the trigger bar, vs locking the slide. Which means you can rack the slide and load a round with safety on.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One advantage the P220 SAO has over the 1911 is reliability- it works out of the box, and is usually more accurate, unless you go to a high-end 1911.
I was thinking of getting a Les Baer/DW/Brown 1911, as I like the platform and have used one for 40 years. But the P220 fits my hand better, more accurate than I can hold(even from a bench, which I never take to the range/ field) and costs less(mine is not the legion but a dark elite model that was discontinued). It is a companion to the 226 Dark Elite 9mm SAO(also discontinued) which will take also take a 226/40 S&W slide. With these two, I am set for 22LR(conversion kit from Sig for both 220 and 229), 9mm, 9mm with RX slide, 40 S&W, and 357 Sig when I get the barrel. For a fan of the 1911, it surely works for me!

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have the 45 ACP legion you will find a major difference between it and a standard 1911. The 220 frame is alloy while most 1911’s are steel, big difference in feel. The 220 in all stainless is comparable to the 1911. For me I prefer the 220 da/sa unit, 10 MM all stainless for the legion and 45 ACP in the standard stainless unit.

Posts: 1256 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I find the 1911 beavertail superior to the P220 Carry SAO standard beavertail. I don't know if the Legion frame has eliminated the odd feeling of a beavertail pushing into the web of my hand as I swung the thumb around to the P220 SAO safety. The magazines are sufficiently identical that pouches work for either.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5068 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Other than the fact that they're both SAO, and they're both single stack .45s, they're not all that similar in feel or design.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only significant advantage of the 220 Legion over a similarly priced 1911 would be the consistent quality of Sig over a 1911 which may be manufacture and magazine sensitive. Individual preference will really be the deciding factor for many. I have not found a properly built and maintained 1911 to be less reliable than my Sig 220s. Your mileage may vary.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 535 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First thing I do with a new 1911 is have it gone over by a reputable gunsmith with a proven history with the 1911.
You would think after one hundred and eight years.... Never mind!
I have not had to do that with a Sig SAO.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16123 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the Sig Legion SAO has the sweetest trigger, it is just tremendous. The Sig is a bit heftier, and I find it more accurate. Each person will have their own oppinion, that is mine; you will love it

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Each to their own, different and would not try to make a comparison. A Sig is a Sig and 1911s are 1911s. Like each as such.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
It's very different...

1. 1911 safety physically blocks hammer from falling when engaged.

2. 1911 trigger travels in a horizontal, linear manner... straight back.

3. 1911 has a lower bore axis.

4. Grip contour, angle is similar.

I love both platforms. Aside from reliability, I find the benefit of DA/SA and decock is what makes the P220 so fantastic.

Making it SA only diminishes it's utility to me, for my purposes.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7180 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Imo the 1911 is slimmer, has a far better trigger, a better safety and feels better in the hand.

So if you want to make a 1911 bulkier and ruin the trigger, the 220 is an expensive way to do it. Razz. I don’t think the 220 is a bad gun, I just think the 1911 is a far better one.

I don’t find the two guns to be similar at all, other than the caliber they shoot.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post