SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    LAPD’s new duty gun…an FN??!!??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LAPD’s new duty gun…an FN??!!?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
SOCOM was buying Gen3 G19s for a long time. Since somewhere in the mid 2000s (05/06/07?). And later Gen 3 Glock MOS guns which, AFAIK were never a commercial item, I believe 15/16 was when they transitioned from the Gen 3s to the G19 MOS Gen4 and the G26 Gen4 as the Mk26/MK27.

Do you have a cite on this by chance?

For Glock making Gen 3 G19 MOS for SOCOM - primarily professional contacts but there is also a thread on AR-15.com re: SOF use of Glocks / the G19 which includes photos of them by a user who goes by Combat diver.

As for the G26 Gen4 being adopted by SOCOM as the Mk 26 and the Gen 4 G19 MOS as the Mk 27 they both have NSNs as such:

https://nsn-now.com/1005016581930

https://nsn-now.com/1005016587261

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
SOCOM was buying Gen3 G19s for a long time. Since somewhere in the mid 2000s (05/06/07?). And later Gen 3 Glock MOS guns which, AFAIK were never a commercial item, I believe 15/16 was when they transitioned from the Gen 3s to the G19 MOS Gen4 and the G26 Gen4 as the Mk26/MK27.

Do you have a cite on this by chance?

For Glock making Gen 3 G19 MOS for SOCOM - primarily professional contacts but there is also a thread on AR-15.com re: SOF use of Glocks / the G19 which includes photos of them by a user who goes by Combat diver.

AFAIK the reason for the Gen3 MOS being a thing was admin /“system” related. It was quicker or easier to modify the existing SOCOM Gen 3 G19 contract - the whole “it’s in the system” thing.

As for the G26 Gen4 being adopted by SOCOM as the Mk 26 and the Gen 4 G19 MOS as the Mk 27 they both have NSNs as such:

https://nsn-now.com/1005016581930

https://nsn-now.com/1005016587261

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hey Thanks!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! I knew about the G19 but I'm quite surprised about the G26.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Is the 509 going to be issued at the Academy to new Officers in place of the m&p guns?

Will the alternate handgun list still be available to those who do not want to use a 509? I thought that the STI Stacatto P was the hot ticket with LAPD Officers. Regards 18DAI

The FN 509 will be issued to recruits going forward. None of the in-service officers will be issued one, however, officers who are qualified to carry a striker fired pistol will be able to transition to one if they buy one at their own expense.

The Stacatto is what the cool kids all want to carry, however, due to a variety of factors including lack of Bonus qualification and transition schools, not a lot of guys have been able to transition recently. They did have Pistol Mounted Optics Schools for a couple of months earlier this year, so some officers are now carrying RDS systems.

Posts: 4 | Location: us | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheNewbie:

Their gear selection has always been interesting and still is. I would like to know how many 3rd Gen S&Ws are out on the streets now.

There aren’t too many. There are guys out there who are still carrying the 4506, but most transitioned to Glocks or retired.

Posts: 4 | Location: us | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks mutagen! All my friends who carried S&W 3rd Gen 45s have retired from LAPD. I do know one or two younger guys who took the decocker school last time it was offered by LAPD.

Both of them carry 4506-1. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
That's awesome! I knew about the G19 but I'm quite surprised about the G26.

In that world low visibility missions in non permissible or even denied areas are a thing. Plenty of work outside active war zones.

The G26 were easy to justify on the admin side. The M9 filled to full size service pistol role, there was overlap between the G19 and the M11/P228 for the compact niche but there was nothing else which filled the sub compact role for low visibility operations.

Some of the Navy folks who used P226/Mk25s used P239s for the same type low visibility operations but those likely went away when the Mk25s did.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutagen:
quote:
Is the 509 going to be issued at the Academy to new Officers in place of the m&p guns?

Will the alternate handgun list still be available to those who do not want to use a 509? I thought that the STI Stacatto P was the hot ticket with LAPD Officers. Regards 18DAI

The FN 509 will be issued to recruits going forward. None of the in-service officers will be issued one, however, officers who are qualified to carry a striker fired pistol will be able to transition to one if they buy one at their own expense.

The Stacatto is what the cool kids all want to carry, however, due to a variety of factors including lack of Bonus qualification and transition schools, not a lot of guys have been able to transition recently. They did have Pistol Mounted Optics Schools for a couple of months earlier this year, so some officers are now carrying RDS systems.

Could you advise which optics are currently authorized ?

And any particular requirements related to mounting ?

Are they restricted to factory set ups such as MOS/CORE etc or are other options allowed ?

I ask because in both my own experience and at my agency we have found that as optics them senses have improved “proper” mounting is 50% of the durability equation.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are they restricted to factory set ups such as MOS/CORE etc or are other options allowed ?

I ask because in both my own experience and at my agency we have found that as optics them senses have improved “proper” mounting is 50% of the durability equation.

Currently, the authorized optics are the Aimpoint Acro P1, Trijicon RMR Type 2, and the Sig Sauer Romeo 1 Pro. They can be mounted on a Glock, M&P or 1911 that already has a factory optic cut. No custom optic cuts are authorized. Glock users may use the factory plate, a Forward Controls plate or a C&H plate, but they must use a sealing plate regardless of which mounting plate they use. All optics are checked for proper mounting torque at the school and witness marks are placed on the screws if they haven’t already been marked. When the schools were being offered earlier this year, the FN had not been authorized. However, moving forward, anyone who wants to spend their own money would be free to mount an RDS on an FN as long as they have been certified to carry a pistol mounted optic.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Currently, the authorized optics are the Aimpoint Acro P1, Trijicon RMR Type 2, and the Sig Sauer Romeo 1 Pro. They can be mounted on a Glock, M&P or 1911 that already has a factory optic cut. No custom optic cuts are authorized. Glock users may use the factory plate, a Forward Controls plate or a C&H plate, but they must use a sealing plate regardless of which mounting plate they use. All optics are checked for proper mounting torque at the school and witness marks are placed on the screws if they haven’t already been marked. When the schools were being offered earlier this year, the FN had not been authorized. However, moving forward, anyone who wants to spend their own money would be free to mount an RDS on an FN as long as they have been certified to carry a pistol mounted optic.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Their gear selection has always been interesting and still is. I would like to know how many 3rd Gen S&Ws are out on the streets now.

There aren’t too many. There are guys out there who are still carrying the 4506, but most transitioned to Glocks or retired.

Thank you.

I assume there are still a decent amount of 92s out there.

One question I have always had, and I may be totally off base on this. Why does LAPD not allow anything in front of the gun gear wise?

That would be a lot of empty space, especially on a small guy like me.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thank you.

I assume there are still a decent amount of 92s out there.

One question I have always had, and I may be totally off base on this. Why does LAPD not allow anything in front of the gun gear wise?

That would be a lot of empty space, especially on a small guy like me.

Are you talking about on the Sam Browne duty belt? It’s probably because they have a specific requirement of what can go on the belt and where it can go. However, unless it’s an inspection, there is a lot of leeway, and guys do carry things on their front right like keys and small lights. I would tend to agree though, it’s best not to put anything in front of the gun that could potentially get in the way.

I would also add that for the past year and a half, with Covid, the Department has authorized BDUs and nylon webgear, so currently, there is quite a bit of leeway on how officers carry their equipment.

posted Hide Post
Was at my local shop this weekend and the FN rep was there. The rep claimed the PA State police are adopting the 509. Anybody heard this?

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reference PSP adopting the FN-509: I've also read that PSP is going back to Glock or hasn't made a decision yet.

Some years ago, FN representatives were at my LGS. They tried to sell me on the FN 5.7 because all the California SWAT teams were getting them. That seemed suspect. I offered the thought that it was unwise to carry a pistol that will penetrate one's armor, Pishposh, the special operations team of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement was using the 5.7. I thanked the reps and told them I had to go over to the archery section or look at flashlights or something.

When I attended an IALEFI ITC, one class was taught by two FDLE firearms instructors who had been on their special operations team. I asked if they carried the 5.7. They looked at me with surprise and told me they carried Glock. They had obtained a couple of 5.6's for evaluation,but had no interest in issuing it.

In fairness to FN, they did treat my former department right during our disastrous time with the FNS-9. We would have been better served with 5.7's... or Browning High Powers.

I wouldn't bet any money on PSP going with any gun based on the word of manufacturer's rep.

Posts: 24 | Registered: December 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rep claimed the PA State police are adopting the 509

I reached out to a friend that retired as a Captain from PSP last year. He's a mild gun guy and hasn't heard about FN for PSP.

I know we talked about it in the past and he was VERY happy with the Sig P227 that PSP currently issues. In all his years the first time he ever shot a perfect qualification score was with the P227.

He bought all his previously issued guns, 2 variations of the Beretta 96D, Glock 37, G4 Glock 21 and his P227.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know all of you will be just shocked and amazed to learn that Distributor and Manufacturer Reps.... Lie! And there is the occasional all expense paid golf outings for Chiefs, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Disregard, double tap while editing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
HCM, you stated "the FNP, FNX and FNS were all  crap."
What was/is wrong with the FNX series that makes them crappy?

Edited to explain: I bought an FNX-45, mostly for competitions, and as a vehicle for my suppressor and for learning to use RDS's on defensive pistols.

But I could press it into more serious service, so if there is a problem with dependability, I'd like to know.

The good thing about the FNX was it was the first factory handgun with RDS mount.

Like the FNP they have reliability issues with some common ammo types and the polymer used in the frame is soft enough that a firm grip can induce malfunctions. This is aggravated when the gun is exposed to heat - like being left in a car or out in the TX summer sun.

It’s better than the FNP and unlike the FNS it is mechanically safe but I would not use one for anything serious.

I carried a FNX .45T as a duty gun for 8 years. Here is what I can tell you about my experience. We would shoot at least 1800 rounds a year (due in large part to SWAT training), and usually more when we went to schools or brought an instructor in. I had never had a single malfunction, I shit you not. Our practice ammo was Spear Lawman, our duty ammo was Gold Dot. The handgun dirty or clean, never failed. I never had an issue with the frame getting soft, but I never left on my dashboard eithr so there is that. My .45T was extremely accurate. When I was on my game I could stack rounds one on top of each other and so could others that wanted to shoot it. I had no issue trusting my life to that handgun> I recently retired so it and are on a sabatical.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post