SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The Craptacular Remington R51
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Craptacular Remington R51 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Just a short trip down memory lane...

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I think I still have an R51 pin and some stickers from SHOT show back then. Maaaan, they pushed that thing haaard. Advertising budget must’ve been more than R&D for the pistol. Dont know anyone who was surprised by its failure though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be seriously tempted to buy an Astra 600 and donate it to the guy in the video if I could really watch a video of him trying to manage a blowback 9mm.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I rented one at an indoor range.

Fired about twenty rounds and took it back to the counter. Thanks, but no, thanks.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best thing about the R51 is it taught me about the Pederson action which led me to find and buy an original Model 51. That's a neat little gun.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I actually saw one of these at a local pawn store a couple of months ago. I didn’t even want to touch the thing and have some of it’s awful rub off on me. IIRC, the price was the same as new.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I purchased one when they first came out. I had been reading about them and bought into the hype. Soon after they were released, I found one in my LGS and snatched it up immediately. It didn't take too long to realize what a mistake it was.

When Remington announced their voluntary recall, I sent mine back and they were supposed to replace it with a 2nd generation model. After a year of being told the 2nd gen was coming out next month, or next quarter, etc I gave up and took an R1 in replacement.

Somewhere in my gun room I still have a magazine for it. A friend is a table top FFL, and he has several of the 2nd generation models in various finishes for reasonable prices. Every time I start to think about grabbing one, I mentally slap myself.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I remember all the gun rags talking that pistol up. I actually like how the pistol looks, but that’s as far as that goes. It’s a shame what Remington is today.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was such a metallic turd, thanks for sharing. This escaped my attention. Which is a good thing. I wonder if these things will actually become valuable to collectors if they are so bad that they become super scarce. Just curious.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
From the video comments: " It’s made for practicing malfunction drills." Big Grin

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Remember how all the gun rags and YouTube shills praised it initially?

I did buy one of the vintage, hundred year old "Model 51" pistols. This was NOT the new R51.

I never ended up taking the "Model 51" to the range, but just playing around with it was interesting. Racking the slide empty, The gun felt like it wanted to jam. I suspect the problems with the R51 wer not simply Remington's poor execution, but the whole design of the recoil system was fundamentally flawed from the beginning and why it was abandoned a hundred years ago.

The R51 had styling that reminded me of a toy gun I had growing up.

Vintage 1960's Rayline STAR TREK Phaser Tracer Disc Pistol Gun

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fenris,

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They had one at the Peterson Air Force Base Exchange a few months ago. I think they dropped the price to $250. They almost got me but my reasoning won out in the end.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was apparently R51 day. Two video reviews on the same day. This one went back and forth to Remington to be fixed.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/MeqxPfqiw24

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first video is nothing short of hilarious.

Posts: 14 | Registered: January 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the best example one can set is to be an example of what not to be.......R51...”hold my beer I got this!” Smile

I actually really like the lines of the gun and frankly would have likely bought one if they hadn’t been EPICALLY FLAWED AND EPICALLY MISMANAGED.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a really stupid decision to try and resurrect this design but why on earth did they push it into production? Early on into the R&D phase they must have known about all of its inherent problems and they certainly didn't fix any of them, so I just dont understand why they went ahead and produced it. Didn't someone say " Uh, guys there are solid, reliable, well established pistols out there that are much better than our pos. Let's just cut our losses and abandon it."
But no, Remington put it on the market and then doubled down on the failure with the RP9.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3500 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Remember how all the gun rags and YouTube shills praised it initially?

The term Access Media should be drilled into anybody thinking that reviews are objective and honest. Unless the reviewer can point-out shortcomings and provide perspective on the market place, most reviews are simply fluff.

I remember this paper weight when it came out. I've like the Walther/Makarov-style of design, its just nobody has been able to modernize into a reliable form...perhaps that's a sign.

Posts: 14548 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R51? Oh, now I recall.

That's the $9.50 Remington pistol they were selling a few years ago for $200. Good value. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The R51 had styling that reminded me of a toy gun I had growing up.

Vintage 1960's Rayline STAR TREK Phaser Tracer Disc Pistol Gun

I had one of those disc shooting pistols. It was great!

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
That is one of the ugliest pistols I’ve ever layed eyes on IMHO.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post