SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My dirty little secret… The Glock 42.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My dirty little secret… The Glock 42. Login/Join 
posted
I am infatuated w/ this little gun. I am not even a Glock nut. But, this has to be my favorite of the brand. I find it a nice handling little shooter. I also find it very accurate for a little gun. I find myself carrying a lot more again and shooting it a lot more as well.

As I told a gunshop counter leaning commando one time when he pished-poshed the .380 round, I have yet to find someone to volunteer to take a couple hits from it.

I always pack an extra mag and sometimes even two reloads. I also feel comfy w/ the Speer Gold Dots that it is loaded with.

Anyone else have a soft spot for the G42?

Posts: 4044 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan. I find myself grabbing it more often than not vs my 442 or 340 pd

Posts: 453 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oaklane:
I’m a fan. I find myself grabbing it more often than not vs my 442 or 340 pd

I find myself doing the same. As much as I like the airweight J-frames, the G42 is just so much more pleasurable to shoot.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone else have a soft spot for the G42?

I like the Glock 42 a lot, its actually my second favorite Glock after the 19. I've owned four of them in the past, two went to friends. While I am not a big .380 fan, I do see it as being a viable round for some shooters.

The role that I wanted the 42 to fill for me was my "I'm not carrying a gun" gun role. But, I realized and decided that my J frame snubby (S&W Model 38 airweight bodyguard) was just a more versatile gun for that role, so the 42 went away.

Softest shooting .380 that I have owned or shot over the years. (I will eventually try out the SIG P365 .380 to see how it compares to the 42.)

Over the last few years, I have helped a couple of my clients get their first carry guns. Two of them settled on the 42 just because of the size and shoot-ability aspect.

So, like I stated, I am a fan of the Glock 42.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I carry a G42 as my backup, in an ankle holster.

I installed Trijicons, an Overwatch Falx trigger, and Talon grip tape. Without traction tape, I cannot hold on to the G42 worth a damn.

Posts: 107514 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I carry a G42 as my backup, in an ankle holster.

I installed Trijicons, an Overwatch Falx trigger, and Talon grip tape. Without traction tape, I cannot hold on to the G42 worth a damn.

How do you like the Falx trigger in the G42?

I agree with you on the slippery nature of the thing.

It's a gun that would benefit from a more aggressive grip texture from the factory.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I’m carrying mine right now. Love my 42!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Great little gun. Easy to carry and a joy to shoot.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a .380, and most of the ones I've shot have not appealed to me, but I keep looking at the Glock 42 and thinking that it checks all the right boxes to be an excellent, very shootable little carry gun:

1. Locked breach, not straight blowback
2. Doesn't have a fully pre-tensioned striker like the 365, which would make me feel a lot more comfortable about carrying it in a pocket
3. Small enough for easy concealment, but large enough to be able to shoot well (sets it apart from the LCP/P3AT)
4. Real sights

Admittedly, I've never had the opportunity to shoot one, so it's really all in my head, but I'd like to give one a try sometime to see if it plays out in practice like I think it will.

I'm very happy with my J-Frames and believe that they are in many ways more versatile than a small semi-auto, especially one in .380, but there are times where the flatter profile and capacity/magazine-fed reloads have some value.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried one for two years. I gave it to a young friend who was moving across the country with his pregnant wife. He didn't have a handgun. I regret not having it, but I'm glad I was able to help him protect his family. The rest of the story.....his wife landed a high-paying job at the new location as a pediatric ICU nurse, and he is studying forestry and agriculture and working part time. Glad to see the kid moving up.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The G42 is Mrs. Flash's carry gun and she shoots it well and it doesn't have much recoil.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
How do you like the Falx trigger in the G42?
It's OK. I installed it because I wanted a smooth trigger face. Almost no take-up, a kind of heavy break. It's better than the stock trigger.

Posts: 107514 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Talon grip really elevates the G42, I agree. I have yet to put a Talon onto my 365. However, the 365 .380 has now relegated the G42 back into the safe.

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have never owned one, but if I find one at the right price, I'll jump on it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention one thing about Mrs. Flash's G42.

She hated the trigger so I put in the Ghost connector which lowered the trigger pull and made it much better.

She liked the Ghost connector so much she asked me to put it in all our Glocks, so I did. 3 others got the same treatment.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’s an amazing pistol. Both Accurate & reliable

Posts: 13807 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I ordered one direct from Glock sometime last month. No clue when it will show up. Will probably see if I can transplant a Glock 17 trigger shoe onto it. I prefer smooth faced triggers.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
After owning an LCP and a Beretta 85fs I figured I’d never want a larger .380 and thought the 42 was way too little (too big actually) too late. But the guy at the gunshop let me shoot a mag for free and I bought one on the spot. It’s a wonderful little gun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
It should have a smooth trigger from the factory.

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I ordered one direct from Glock sometime last month. No clue when it will show up. Will probably see if I can transplant a Glock 17 trigger shoe onto it. I prefer smooth faced triggers.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I had one when they first came out and I just could not hold the little bugger solidly enough.
I sold it when the 43s came along. The 43 is my EDC off duty and ankle on duty.
Wish I could carry a 365 as I prefer them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post