SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Old school wonder 9 what are you picking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old school wonder 9 what are you picking? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
According to Wikipedia...
"A Wonder Nine is a semi-automatic pistol chambered in 9×19mm Parabellum with a staggered column magazine and a double-action trigger for at least the first shot."

That's about what came to mind when I heard the term. So no glocks and no single stack 9's (those deserve their own discussion!)

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
Steyr GB.

There is no more impressive wonder 9 on paper.

Awesome comment! I got nervous for a second. The European or US version Smile

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's SIG Forum, so a SIG 226, preferably West German like the one in my safe.

If I had been a little better educated back in the day, I might have wound up with a CZ75 or a 92 with aftermarket grips.

I love the USP on paper, but I had a bad experience with one back in the day.

If someone wanted a modern wonder 9, I'd point them at the SIG SP2022 or the H&K P30. The SIG has a better trigger.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
"A Wonder Nine is a semi-automatic pistol chambered in 9×19mm Parabellum with a staggered column magazine and a double-action trigger for at least the first shot."

That's about what came to mind when I heard the term. So no glocks and no single stack 9's (those deserve their own discussion!)

Technically, the Glock does have a double-action trigger, and so would qualify by that definition.

(Even the Wikipedia article you quoted states in the very next section that examples of the "wonder nine" include the Glock 17... Wink )

Pulling the trigger on a Glock both finishes retracting the striker and then releases the striker. Compared to some other striker-fired systems whose triggers merely release a fully cocked striker.

This is one of the things that allowed Glock to break into the LE market, since many agencies at the time had policies either requiring a double-action trigger or explicitly prohibiting single action triggers, and the Glock could technically qualify.

But I agree that in my mind, an "old school wonder nine" of that era would also be metal-framed and hammer-fired, which if we include those additional requirements it would exclude the Glock from consideration.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Technically, the Glock does have a double-action trigger, and so would qualify by that definition.

(Even the Wikipedia article you quoted states in the very next section that examples of the "wonder nine" include the Glock 17... Wink )

Pulling the trigger on a Glock both finishes retracting the striker and then releases the striker. Compared to some other striker-fired systems whose triggers merely release a fully cocked striker.

This is one of the things that allowed Glock to break into the LE market, since many agencies at the time had policies either requiring a double-action trigger or explicitly prohibiting single action triggers, and the Glock could technically qualify.

But I agree that in my mind, an "old school wonder nine" of that era would be metal-framed and hammer-fired, which if we include those additional requirements it would exclude the Glock from consideration.

Good catch, I didn't notice it included the g17. The G19 is my favorite pistol but it doesn't come to mind when I think "wonder 9".
If someone posted a gen 1 or 2 glock as a wonder 9, I wouldn't argue.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
Ruger P89 for old school. My hands are XXL.

Not the lightest, not the most accurate, not the best looking. It does go bang every time

Exactly that!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
Steyr GB.

There is no more impressive wonder 9 on paper.

Awesome comment! I got nervous for a second. The European or US version Smile

Did you see my further comments? The best thing you can say about the GB is that they stopped making them. The key part of what you quoted is "on paper." I do recall there being variants, but I'd say it's cosmetic at best.

"Wonder 9" is actually a specific category, generally double stack, but if you read the GB, 92 and G17 stats, those are the best examples of "wonder 9."

The action and concept of the GB is interesting, and when I bought mine it was inexpensive. A brief search shows me that they haven't drastically climbed in value... probably because they are trash. Creating a club for people who have fired these and actually bothered to get through an entire magazine, isn't worth anyone's time or effort.

Mercifully Steyr also developed the AUG, so the GB is just a footnote for nerds. The VP70 belongs in this overhyped fever dream as well. The P7 doesn't count, although it's actually good.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
In no particular order, I would not feel undergunned with a Beretta 92, HK USP9, or a Sig P226. These are legendary platforms that still endure for good reason.

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1744 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Love my plain Jane P226.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Grumpy, that’s where my heart lies, might even be nicer than I deserve Wink. The 92 is on the very short list.

It’ll come down to the right gun on the right day I imagine.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
This P226 started life in .40 S&W, and I added a .357 SIG barrel for it. I bought it used here on this Forum from a Member/FFL. The original .40/.357 slide is natural stainless and not pictured here.
I acquired the pictured 9mm top end for it here on this Forum, and eventually pulled the new barrel and replaced it with the SIG chrome/phosphate variant.
Three caliber, all stainless. To me, it is the perfect version of a 9mm "wonder 9" handgun. I presently use it for USPSA Production Division competition.
I built it because I was unable to source the all stainless special edition limited production quantity USPSA model.
Since these photos were taken, I have swapped the black checkered Hogue G10 grips over to another all stainless P226, and replaced them with the Grayguns/Hogue G10 grips.
Link: https://grayguns.com/product/g...uns-hogue-g10-grips/

IMG_20211116_143400002 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20211116_143435183 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1545 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
For those unfamiliar with the SIG P226 limited production quantity all stainless USPSA Model, A member of this Forum has one and graciously provided some photos.

Left by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Top by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1545 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Original Beretta 8000 Cougar (before model sold to Stoeger). Fat grip for you fat mits, high capacity, rotary barrel action, smooth shooter, reliable, accurate like the rest of the guns recommended.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wonder 9 is a Tanfoglio TZ75/88. It carries 16 in the magazine and is a lot more accurate than I am.

My Wonder 10 is a Springfield Armory original series XDM in 40 S&W and also carries 16 in the magazine and is also more accurate than I am. Note, the 40 S&W is also a 10mm. Those who think the 40S&W is weak my carry ammo is 165 grain Speer Gold Dots that I've clocked at a tick over the listed 1165 fps out of the 4.5 inch barrel of the XDM.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5648 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, and my personal experience, I can not endorse the p89. It was my first ever handgun purchase, at a show even, but that thing couldn’t hit the ground if you aimed at it. Sent it back to Ruger who claimed it had the wrong sights on it and sent it back to me “fixed”. It was then even worse, I ended up selling it at a huge loss. No more rugers for me outside their revolver offerings.

Posts: 1628 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
XXL hands go well with the Beretta 92

So do small hands though. I’ve always heard people say that you have to have massive hands for the 92fs but I wear a size small glove and the original 92fs fits my hand perfectly.

Anyway I’m late to the party but the first post is the best post. You can’t go wrong with an original 92fs or P226.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The new PX4 might be another option, not old school, but old enough? It always reminded me of Deckard's Blaster. They say it shoots like a USP. It will probably sell.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post