SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger MKII Target Model
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MKII Target Model Login/Join 
Picture of got2hav1
posted
Just something about these old Ruger autos I can't resist. I've had several over the years but for one reason or another I sell them. But I usually end up looking for another one. Itch scratched... in the form of a MKII 6-7/8" heavy taper Target model. Very clean in the factory box and three good mags. I think I'm going to like shooting this one. Probably do a Volquartsen accurizing kit and possibly new grips. Anybody got any thumbrest wood grips to sell? Other than that I feel good about it. Looks like a '88 model 214-XXXXXX serial number. Some pics

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I had one of those, only in a blued finish... but always wanted that model in stainless steel. Dearly miss it. Fantastic woods gun and range plinker, and I'd bet it would make for a great small game killer.

I would be stoked if I found one of those in a slab side, that included the box and mags. Nice score!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a MkII with a bull barrel, but that target barrel is more elegant.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have a MkII with a bull barrel, but that target barrel is more elegant.

The first one I bought in the early eighties was an 5-1/2" Target model with bull barrel and in blue. Very good one and I kept it the longest of any of these.

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I had one of those, only in a blued finish... but always wanted that model in stainless steel. Dearly miss it. Fantastic woods gun and range plinker, and I'd bet it would make for a great small game killer.

I would be stoked if I found one of those in a slab side, that included the box and mags. Nice score!

I also had a Competition slab side. It was very accurate but a little on the heavy side. I believe this one will be a little lighter. I'd still like to find another slab side.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Great looking pistol, clean and with the box. For whatever reason I've never owned or even shot a Ruger Mk I, II, or III (is there a IV?) But if I stumble across one as nice looking as yours I'm buying.
I prefer the thinner barrel versions, is there a series that's more or less desirable?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!!! Just don't try to take it apart before watching tons of YouTube videos!!!

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
MK 2 was a great production model. Only downside is the magazine heel release. It doesn't have any of the stupid safety features of the MK 3 series.
Disassembly and reassembly are on par with a Walther CCP - difficult.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks SIGfourme.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Most believe the MKII is the best of the series. The biggest problem most people mention is the reassembly procedure after taking it apart to clean it. Most of the time I can do it without having to result to youtube.
Yes there is a MKIV version (the current one).

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I've got one of the MkII Slabsides, and it shoots better than I can. I rarely tear it down to clean it proper, but when I do Youtube is a must to get it back together.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
Just something about these old Ruger autos I can't resist. I've had several over the years but for one reason or another I sell them. But I usually end up looking for another one. Itch scratched... in the form of a MKII 6-7/8" heavy taper Target model.

I too have enjoyed a Ruger MK678 II Target model since buying one new in 1983. It has undergone a variety of "tweaks" through those years. Here it is in its current configuration (Volquartsen, Weigand, Polychoke, and Tasco):

For indoor match

and for outdoor field use

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Bald1, nice one. Looks like it has served you well!

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I have a MKII target with a bull barrel, and recently picked up a MKIV tactical, along with standard and target uppers for it.

IMO, the MKII is the cream of the crop. The trigger is better out of the box, theres no stupid magazine safety, and mine has been more reliable than the MkIV. I actually prefer the heel magazine release on these guns, as it holds the mag in a more secure and consistent manner than the MkIV does, resulting in more reliable feeding from the magazines. I had to work my MkIV mags over to overcome some ejection issues that were causing stovepipes.

The one upside to the MkIV is the easier takedown. I don't mind the takedown process for the MkII at all for cleaning...it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. But it is nice to be able to quickly swap between uppers at the range with the MkIV.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Nice score. It's hard to resist the MKII.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Great looking guns fellas. MKIV is versatile for sure. I like that you can easily add optics.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here who's installed a Volquartsen accurizing kit had issues with light strikes afterwards? I'm getting ready to order one, but in researching them I've come across a few complaints of such. Presumably the culprit (if there actually is one) is the lightened hammer.

I'd love to improve the trigger of my MKIV, but am not willing to sacrifice reliability to do it. Would love to hear some first-hand feedback from members here before I fork over the cash.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Mark II competition target slabside with and without B-Square full rail installed.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I used the Tandemkross Blast pack for my MK4. New hammer and sear for $79. Comes with their Blast Shield which removes the magazine safety and helps to align the magazine for better feeding.
Use coupon SHIPFREE for free shipping. Improved trigger pull-no reliability issues.
Add the Shock block @ $4.99 for the 10/22.

Now upgrading my MK3 to loaded chamber delete and magazine bushing to replace magazine safety.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
I used the Tandemkross Blast pack for my MK4. New hammer and sear for $79. Comes with their Blast Shield which removes the magazine safety and helps to align the magazine for better feeding.
Use coupon SHIPFREE for free shipping. Improved trigger pull-no reliability issues.
Add the Shock block @ $4.99 for the 10/22.

Now upgrading my MK3 to loaded chamber delete and magazine bushing to replace magazine safety.

I'd been debating about just trying the blast shield first and tring to polish thhe other components up on my own, but decided to take your advice and go with the "blast pack." I'm not a fan of flat triggers, but this kit will let me upgrade the important internal bits without paying for an aftermarket trigger that I don't really want. Just placed the order...thanks for the recommendation and free shipping code!