SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    NSW SIG P226- what is the purpose of this modification?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NSW SIG P226- what is the purpose of this modification? Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
RFID button

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
I believe it’s an RFID chip In a glob of JB Weld for inventory purpose

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Looking at those pics, this seems like the most likely explanation to me. Not sure whether it's RFID or not, but the way that gold ring is non-uniform and kinda oozed out, this looks more like a stud that's adhered to the side of the frame with liquid nails, JB Weld, or the like, rather than something machined into the gun to control the inner workings. Just my uninformed $.02

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
RFID button

I'm not saying you all are wrong, because I simply don't know... but, consider this...

... if this is an RFID chip, why is it only on a small sample of the armory P226s?

...and what would be the purpose of having an RFID on a few select armory P226s, when they all have UID QR inventory scan labels?

...and why have an RFID chip that projects @ 1/8" from the frame surface when there are examples of RFID chips that are much thinner that would be less obtrusive?

...and why place an RFID chip in this frame location when there are better locations to place it that would be less likely to interfere with shooter hand placement?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
I believe it’s an RFID chip In a glob of JB Weld for inventory purpose

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Looking at those pics, this seems like the most likely explanation to me. Not sure whether it's RFID or not, but the way that gold ring is non-uniform and kinda oozed out, this looks more like a stud that's adhered to the side of the frame with liquid nails, JB Weld, or the like, rather than something machined into the gun to control the inner workings. Just my uninformed $.02

quote:
RFID button

I'm not saying you all are wrong, because I simply don't know... but, consider this...

... if this is an RFID chip, why is it only on a small sample of the armory P226s?

...and what would be the purpose of having an RFID on a few select armory P226s, when they all have UID QR inventory scan labels?

...and why have an RFID chip that projects @ 1/8" from the frame surface when there are examples of RFID chips that are much thinner that would be less obtrusive?

...and why place an RFID chip in this frame location when there are better locations to place it that would be less likely to interfere with shooter hand placement?

This question has been asked before on different forums. If I remember correctly, someone said that it's an older style and there are others that are being placed under the grip panels. Then again, it may be an outdated system no longer in use, and are just left on. Maybe why only some have them.

As you can see here in this pic from the same armory the P226 came from, all these optics have the same RFID tags epoxied on them.

Here's one that's on the side of the front trunnion area of this AK.

Top M4 has one on the magwell

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
This question has been asked before on different forums. If I remember correctly, someone said that it's an older style and there are others that are being placed under the grip panels. Then again, it may be an outdated system no longer in use, and are just left on. Maybe why only some have them.

As you can see here in this pic from the same armory the P226 came from, all these optics have the same RFID tags epoxied on them.

Here's one that's on the side of the front trunnion area of this AK.

Top M4 has one on the magwell

Well... interesting. So, I guess what we're seeing is earlier (older) RFID tech and, as newer tech came online, it was implemented while leaving the earlier obsolete RFID units in place. As far as RFID placement location, some examples have it located in the same spot and others apparently don't.

Skimming through some of the armory pics I found more examples of this RFID unit on weapons and gear that I had previously missed because they were obscured by the camo paint jobs.

Thanks for taking the time to post and clearing up the mystery.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Yup they look like contact memory buttons. USMC started using them in early/mid 2000's on the tank on the larger components (engine, transmission, etc) to track serial number and lifecycle (overhaul) data. Problem is no matter how good you glue them on they tend to fall off (or you have the occasional kid pry them off with his knife because he wonders what it is). They only lasted a few years and then things started going to the QR code type stickers on the actual data tags (usually embossed so they won't fall off).

quote:
As far as RFID placement location, some examples have it located in the same spot and others apparently don't.

This is one of the issues we ran into. Even though the documents that told you to install the CMB gave a location guys would put them different places. I'm not talking on completely different sides of a transmission for example, but different enough so that when the component was installed it may not be accessible to read, or it may be moved enough to be in a location that routinely got POL's splashed on it causing it to fall off. It was one of those "good idea bad execution" things.

Some pics of them if you scroll a bit:
http://www.macsema.com/index.php#technology

In the last decade there has been a big move from "HRI" (Human Readable Information) to "MRI" (Machine Readable Information) on anything that needs to be tracked in inventory. Like you see Colt AR's with QR codes etched into the receiver now? I guarantee the engineering drawing was updated to switch from HRI to MRI and also lots of things are going from vendor name to vendor cage code (again changed on the drawing first). Saw it on many tank components.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 to all this. We (also USMC) use them for serialization and parts accountability of helicopter parts. And again, it’s older technology that’s being phased out.

Posts: 166 | Registered: March 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post