SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    NSW SIG P226- what is the purpose of this modification?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NSW SIG P226- what is the purpose of this modification? Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
From the infamous armory pics.

I've been studying a couple pics of this mod for weeks now, on and off, thinking that I would have that "aha" moment but I just keep coming up with guesses.

The majority of the armory P226s do not have this mod, but at least a couple different ones do.

I can't be certain but I don't believe this is a factory modification...more likely something done at the armorer/ end user point.

Guess 1- Some sort of cross bolt Safety/ manual firing inhibitor. Ignoring for a moment the question as to why it would even be necessary, if it is a safety I'm still trying to understand the physical mechanics of it, as I would think it would both interfere with the rearward travel of the trigger even when in the "fire" position and would also appear to be in close proximity to the Trigger Bar. Also, if a Safety, it is certainly positioned in a sub-optimal non-ergonomic location for use.

Guess 2- Some sort of activation switch for a WML or laser. Again, I have a difficult time trying to envision how an electrical switch and accompanying electronics could be stuffed into this cramped area of the frame...and the non-ergonomic placement issue still persists with this usage. As this example is a non-rail frame it would require either some sort of trigger guard clamp-on device or a guide rod type.

Guess 3- Some sort of slide locking device so that the gun could be used with a suppressor for single shot use. Again, I can't begin to understand the mechanics of how it would accomplish this and the non-ergo issue persists with this W.A.G.

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

TJ's Custom Gunworks offers "Sig-Safe" a trigger blocking push button safety on the frame's right side for $499 or $799 if you want the button on the frame's left side.

The photo on TJ's website has a smaller button, but same location and I expect your pic is either someone who copied TJ's work or it is his work in a beefed-up build for NSW.

I'm curious, how do you know the pistol in your photo is an actual NSW pistol? I ask because TJ does a lot of special gun builds for movies.
www.TJsCustomGunWorks.com/Macros/TJSIGSAF.htm

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:
I'm curious, how do you know the pistol in your photo is an actual NSW pistol?.

It looks like one of those pics of the SEALs weapon arsenal taken by SMGLee.

Here's another one. It's the real deal.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

TJ's Custom Gunworks offers "Sig-Safe" a trigger blocking push button safety on the frame's right side for $499 or $799 if you want the button on the frame's left side.

The photo on TJ's website has a smaller button, but same location and I expect your pic is either someone who copied TJ's work or it is his work in a beefed-up build for NSW.

I'm curious, how do you know the pistol in your photo is an actual NSW pistol? I ask because TJ does a lot of special gun builds for movies.
www.TJsCustomGunWorks.com/Macros/TJSIGSAF.htm

Ahhh, now that you remind me, I do vaguely recall reading, years ago, that there was an outfit that was adding Safeties to the classic P-series of guns. Not seeing any need for the mod I dismissed the idea without giving it any thought. Somewhere in my stash I may still have an old set of TJ's stainless steel hex grip screws.

So, you answered the question as to what the modification is...now the only mystery is why do it. The fact that not all of the P226s in the armory have the mod suggests that there is only a specific infrequent need for it.

Doc Q nailed it once again. As I didn't lay eyes on the guns in the pics in person I can't say with %100 certainty that these are NSW weapons, but these NSW armory pics have been floating around the internet for probably 12 or 13 years, and created a fair bit of interest and excitement when they first hit...not to mention some controversy and a little trouble for some.

They generally seem to be accepted as authentic.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is just pointless and ugly

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it’s an RFID chip In a glob of JB Weld for inventory purposes.

Not particularly cool, doesn’t increase it Tacticalness...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sgt 127,

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
That is just pointless and ugly

How do you know it's pointless? Are you a SEAL?

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

Well, the ugly part is what’s critical.
Imagine if a member of DEVGRU had had to resort to that nasty ol’ thing to take down Usama, and he’d said, “Oh: How tacky! Don’t you have anything pretty to shoot me with?” That poor SEAL would have never lived down the shame.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doveryai,
no proveryai.
Picture of SIG_P226
posted Hide Post
Let's name this thing correctly, NSW prefix is not on any of these P226 as far I can tell. If you know what NSW stands for, you'd know why the title line is "incorrect".
Besides, NSW Sig P226 has NSW prefix S/N and NONE of the modifications mentioned herein. In fact, none of the 2000 NSW prefix P226 were sold to Navy / SEAL.

.)))*"((((((( *¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫.♥.♫ •*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*
>>> o <<<
.\___~___/
Get some, then get some more ... ST10
Success in handgun marksmanship is about operating the pistol, not hitting the target. - Bruce Gray
Knowledge is power, ONLY when you share it. - Me
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3662 | Location: Cop Land | Registered: September 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG_P226:
Let's name this thing correctly, NSW prefix is not on any of these P226 as far I can tell. If you know what NSW stands for, you'd know why the title line is "incorrect".
Besides, NSW Sig P226 has NSW prefix S/N and NONE of the modifications mentioned herein. In fact, none of the 2000 NSW prefix P226 were sold to Navy / SEAL.

Lol. You're educating MDS about the "NSW" P226? This man knows more about the P226 Navy in all its variations than most of us on here. He knows very well none of those belong to the 2000 P226s with the "NSW" prefix serial numbers that were not sold to the SEALs. My take from the title is that he was talking about the actual Naval Special Warfare Group P226s. Has nothing to do with the limited edition guns.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thanks Q! Smile. You are dead-on correct in your reading of my thread title intent and reference.

quote:
Original posted by SIG_P226:

NSW...as in Naval Special Warfare Command, the U.S. Navy command component of the SEALs... the command component that procured and issued the SIG P226 for the Teams...not to mention all the other gear, support, intelligence etc..requirements.

Naval Special Warfare

IF I had been referencing the limited commercial release "NSW" prefix guns I would have referred to them by their model P226-9-NAVY, possibly followed by a further descriptor such as "NSW S/N prefix" or something along those lines.

Ok...so I'll bite...just how would you suggest the P226s issued to the Teams, by the NSW, be referred to in a thread title?

ETA: hyperlink to official NSW website

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Imagine if a member of DEVGRU had had to resort to that nasty ol’ thing to take down Usama, and he’d said, “Oh: How tacky! Don’t you have anything pretty to shoot me with?” That poor SEAL would have never lived down the shame.

No doubt it's ugly.

I've been pondering what the SEALs might need with it. I wonder if it's a way to make the gun safe with the hammer back without using the decocker. Best I can come up with.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

No doubt it's ugly.

I've been pondering what the SEALs might need with it. I wonder if it's a way to make the gun safe with the hammer back without using the decocker. Best I can come up with.

I had considered whether this was some sort of attempt at creating a "cocked and locked" safe carry variant also, but, if this mod was performed by TJ's Custom Gunworks or if this was an NSW copy of that type of mod, then the mod features wouldn't allow for "cocked and locked" carry.

Per the TJ Custom Gunworks website SIG-SAFE description, he refers to it as "weapons retention" but it really isn't so much about retention as it is about a situation in which an adversary gains control of a SIG with the mod and fumbles with the gun trying to get it to fire, which is supposed to give time for the user to take action against the adversary...somewhat along the lines of the thinking behind mag disconnects.

SAFETY OPERATION: UPON SAFETY ACTIVATION (PRESSING IN ON LEFT SIDE OF GUN) A HARDENED TOOL STEEL BLOCK INHIBITS THE TRIGGER MOVEMENT, THUS REDERING THE WEAPON COMPLETELY INOPERABLE: (THE TRIGGER CANNOT BE PULLED - THE SLIDE CANNOT BE RETRACTED – THE HAMMER CANNOT BE COCKED). TO ACTIVATE THE WEAPON / DEACTIVATE SAFETY (BRING TO FIRING POSOTION) THE OPERATOR WOULD SIMPLY DEPRESS THE SAFETY BUTTON WITH THE TRIGGER FINGER AS THEY DREW THEIR WEAPON OUT, THUS ELIMINATING THE OBSTRUCTION BEHIND THE TRIGGER AND REDERING THE WEAPON FULLY FUNCTIONAL.

If, IF, this is a TJ's type modification it is almost as if this modification is designed for a specific scenario in which there is a greater likelihood, or even expectation, that an NSW operator may lose possession/ control of their P226.

Hmm, I wonder if this mod is used in some sort of training scenario?

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Don’t know about the safety mod but it could have to do with a specific type of type infiltration or exfil. that were expected to be particularly rough/violent and the added safety is to prevent AD???

That said I am actually amazed at how good the condition of those SIGs are. I would have expected them to be far more battered.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7685 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Damn, those pistolas seen action. Thanks for those fantastic pix. Can somebody pls provide the link for the other ones?

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen right side/left side pictures of a pistol with that gadget? I'm wondering if there's a button or something on the left-hand side.

(I know, I see some pistols up there that don't have anything on the left-hand side, but there's at least one pistol with nothing on the right-hand side either.)

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Has anyone seen right side/left side pictures of a pistol with that gadget? I'm wondering if there's a button or something on the left-hand side.

(I know, I see some pistols up there that don't have anything on the left-hand side, but there's at least one pistol with nothing on the right-hand side either.)

After noticing the mod, one of the first things I did was scroll through the remainder of the pics looking for left side pics of the mod, but didn't find a single one. Of those clearly displayed, there were only two P226s that had the mod, and both of those only showed right side pics.

The TJ's website description of their mod is a little unclear, but it does mention a sizeable upcharge for a left side mounted SIG-SAFE safety activation button, but reading the description I posted previously, it clearly points to a 2-sided left/ right activation/ deactivation...which suggests that there are two different variations of their mod.

I'm thinking one version of the mod involves a right side (only) 2 position spring detent activation/ deactivation button (think ball point retractable pen), and the second version of the mod requiring holes in both sides of the frame for left side Safety activation and right side Safety de-activation (think Remington shotgun safety)...or maybe not.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
I believe it’s an RFID chip In a glob of JB Weld for inventory purposes.

Not particularly cool, doesn’t increase it Tacticalness...

Looking at those pics, this seems like the most likely explanation to me. Not sure whether it's RFID or not, but the way that gold ring is non-uniform and kinda oozed out, this looks more like a stud that's adhered to the side of the frame with liquid nails, JB Weld, or the like, rather than something machined into the gun to control the inner workings. Just my uninformed $.02.

Posts: 8592 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG_P226:
...In fact, none of the 2000 NSW prefix P226 were sold to Navy / SEAL.

Do you mean as in 'purchased by the govt. for use/issue' to SEAL teams? That would likely be correct. The NSW S/N guns were for the public to purchase to 'have something just like the SEALS,' with part of the proceeds going to charity. Tho it wouldn't be surprising if a couple SEALS bought them with their own $$ or got them as gifts.

Tho there was at least one of the first 10 that was to be provided/(presented?) to a high ranking fellow. Wouldn't be surprising if some of the very first ones were presented to certain folks.

Sorry...getting off track. I'd have to guess the gizmo is something other than a safety, unless it were determined it was needed for jump or dive ops. Those guys generally don't need 'extra' safety devices.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I don't know what it is, and I'm not saying it isn't an RFID chip...

It is difficult for me to accept a professional would place anything not directly related to the pistol's operation where the trigger finger sits.

Then again, I grew up as a Navy brat in San Diego and have seen a lot of stupid funny stuff on Coronado NAS and NAB.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post