SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Matrix Precision completely newly manufactured frames for the P226, P228 and P229 - *** Updated w/ range report (REV P228)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matrix Precision completely newly manufactured frames for the P226, P228 and P229 - *** Updated w/ range report (REV P228) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Q,

Awesome project to keep the small parts from that cracked P228 Nickel "alive". The only parts not used in the frame rebuild were the Locking Insert (LI) and sear spring seat pin.

What LI did you end up using? Was it the newest revision like those found in the Legion P229 SAO?

Thanks for sharing this experience, I appreciate the details describing this project that ended so well!

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Awesome project

Almost makes me wish I had SIG parts lying around

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lot_45:
Q,

Awesome project to keep the small parts from that cracked P228 Nickel "alive". The only parts not used in the frame rebuild were the Locking Insert (LI) and sear spring seat pin.

What LI did you end up using? Was it the newest revision like those found in the Legion P229 SAO?

Thanks for sharing this experience, I appreciate the details describing this project that ended so well!

You want to hear something most interesting about this project? It almost didn't have a chance to get of the ground. I actually put up the entire lower parts set for sale a few months ago at a very reasonable price. But it didn't sell. So, I just put it away, maybe to try to sell again at a later date. Well, as it turned out, I'm thankful it didn't sell. I have 2 spare locking inserts that came from some old P229(9) marked by "29" on top. So one was used for this build.

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting build.

I wonder if Matrix Precision has any intention of making a rail-less P226 frame. If would be nice for those of us who prefer to not have a rail. You could then just strip a railed frame P226 to make one without a rail.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
Very interesting build.

I wonder if Matrix Precision has any intention of making a rail-less P226 frame. If would be nice for those of us who prefer to not have a rail. You could then just strip a railed frame P226 to make one without a rail.

I was thinking the same exact thing!

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
quote:
Very interesting build.

I'm thinking SigForum Group Buy.

I wonder what the minimum order quantity would be for them to make a batch of rail-less P226's and/or P220's?

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
quote:
Very interesting build.

I'm thinking SigForum Group Buy.

I wonder what the minimum order quantity would be for them to make a batch of rail-less P226's and/or P220's?

Gentlemen,

Your prayer has been answered. I put in a request for a no rail no tail REV226 frame, and the horse's mouth said "I am going to have to make the non-railed 226." So it was written. And so it shall be done. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Gentlemen,

Your prayer has been answered. I put in a request for a no rail no tail REV226 frame, and the horse's mouth said "I am going to have to make the non-railed 226." So it was written. And so it shall be done. Big Grin

Do you think they will allow pre-ordering?

There is always a sizable gap between people who say they will buy something and the number that actually do. I don't want Matrix Precision investing resources into something that won't turn a profit for them.

I think it would be nice if they could get 100 pre-orders to justify doing a run.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I received my Matrix frame earlier this week. I haven't had time to complete the assembly yet, but I have fitted the magazine release and hammer stop and I test fit both Sig factory and Hogue G10 grips with brand new factory grip screws. All the parts fit perfectly. The frame is very high quality.

I'm using a combination of GGI parts that I had on hand and new OEM parts. Matrix does sell a complete lower parts kit of parts they manufacture for a very reasonable price, but I decided to buy factory parts for the ones I'm missing. Matrix includes a sheet with some notes about parts fitting and the document mentions that the trigger and takedown lever holes may need to be lightly sanded but based on the fitting I've done I shouldn't have to do that.

I hope to have it together by the end of next week, but I may not get to shoot it before foot surgery takes me out of action for weeks, unfortunately.

Posts: 4079 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ I didn't have to do any sanding or filing. Everything came together on first try.

I love Matrix Precision, but I wouldn't call their $225 lower parts kit a "reasonable price". Funny thing, I put up the complete lower parts kit, including the grips shown above, from the Nickel P228 for sale for a really reasonable price, but no one bought it. As it turned out, I'm very glad it was rejected. Big Grin

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ I didn't have to do any sanding or filing. Everything came together on first try.

I love Matrix Precision, but I wouldn't call their $225 lower parts kit a "reasonable price". Funny thing, I put up the complete lower parts kit, including the grips shown above, from the Nickel P228 for sale for a really reasonable price, but no one bought it. As it turned out, I'm very glad it was rejected. Big Grin

Yes, I meant "reasonable" compared to buying all new OEM parts Smile If I didn't have so many parts already I'm not sure I would have done it but I like the idea of a 229 slide on a 226 frame and I already have 2 229 slides so why not.

Posts: 4079 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Long shot, but: Any sense for whether the well on the Matrix P228 frame will accept P229 40/357 mags?

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Long shot, but: Any sense for whether the well on the Matrix P228 frame will accept P229 40/357 mags?

Not long at all. They have both magwell options for you to choose from. The original classic P228/P229(9) magwell and the 229-1 /E2 magwell (which will also take the wider body mag of the .40/.357).

https://www.matrixprecisionpar...t-arms-rev228-frame/

Q

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:

Not long at all. They have both magwell options for you to choose from. The original classic P228/P229(9) magwell and the 229-1 /E2 magwell (which will also take the wider body mag of the .40/.357).

https://www.matrixprecisionpar...t-arms-rev228-frame/

And with that, DennisM's small heart grew three sizes. Big Grin

Thanks for confirming. This'll be my 2023 "project."

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
How's the feel? Some people can't feel a difference between a P228 and a P229, but I can.

Thanks for posting about this. The first P228 I bought had the frame cracked in a wreck, and I would love to use the slide with one of these.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6046 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished my Revenant Arms "2296" "build" today. I hope to get to the range on New Year's day to shoot it. I used a P229 Pro Cut slide and a combination of Grayguns and factory parts. Everything fit together with no problems. I also just received a set of the Hogue P226 Contour Classic G10 grips and put them on. They are super nice grips. I have other Hogue G10s for the 226 and I think these are the best of them all.

I'll try to get a couple of pics up later.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
How's the feel? Some people can't feel a difference between a P228 and a P229, but I can.

With eyes closed, you won't be able to tell it's not a bona-fide P228.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberiad:
I just finished my Revenant Arms "2296" "build" today. I hope to get to the range on New Year's day to shoot it. I used a P229 Pro Cut slide and a combination of Grayguns and factory parts. Everything fit together with no problems. I also just received a set of the Hogue P226 Contour Classic G10 grips and put them on. They are super nice grips. I have other Hogue G10s for the 226 and I think these are the best of them all.

I'll try to get a couple of pics up later.

I've been planning to do an very similar build with the 2296 frame and pro cut slide. Can you share pics?

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally completed my "2296". I'm not a good photographer and the depth of field is pretty shallow but you get the idea.

I am using the GGI ELS, strut, mainspring seat and SRT. All the other parts are factory except for the extended mag release from Matrix Precision. I know the Pro Cut slide is not everyone's cup of tea but I already had it and a Romeo 1 Pro, DPP and SRO.

I put 180 rounds through it with the R1P mounted; 50 RA9T and the rest Blazer Brass 115gr and my 147gr reloads with no issues at all. I used 3 different magazines, new Mec-Gar 18 round, Mec-Gar marked 15 round and some older 15 round dovetail phosphate magazines.

I plan to shoot matches with it this year. It fits a JM Custom kydex holster made for the 229R.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Does the trigger guard cause any problems with P228 kydex holsters?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AUTiger89,

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6046 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post