SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Don't know why, but the Taurus GX4 Carry really catches my eyes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't know why, but the Taurus GX4 Carry really catches my eyes Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Eek

I know I know, but it is what it is. Razz
So, does anyone on here own one or have you shot one? This is the Carry version, not their original micro compact. Would like to hear real-life experience. I was reading one review earlier that included range shoot. The person raved about it. But then, the most important aspect, especially for a carry gun, its reliability, was nowhere to be found. What's so ironic about it was, she even mentioned that Taurus pistols are known for their reliability problem. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26637 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the GX4, but you're not alone with the Taurus curiosity. I can't get the TH10 out of my head. I know it's a Taurus, but it's a compact DA/SA 10mm...

I've owned Tauruses (Taurii?) in the past, so I know from experience that I'll probably regret it, but I'm probably going to have to get one at some point just to try it.

There seem to be plenty of Taurus fanboys out there on the internet, so if you bought one and it's absolute crap you likely wouldn't have much trouble unloading it to one of them. And at the price the GX4 is going for, you're not absorbing much risk anyway.

Posts: 8733 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I previously owned the PT92 and a couple of their revolvers. They were crude, but they worked, much like the Rugers.

And the GX4 Carry can be had for only $300. So, I'm thinking, thinking... Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26637 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of revolvers. They were crude, and they didn't work, lol. That's been years, though.

Posts: 8733 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what’s the actual purpose? It sounds like you actually want to carry it. If so, I can’t imagine 1) you don’t have other carry options and 2) think of it like a motorcycle helmet; how much is your life worth? It is worth spending a couple hundred extra bucks to get a better option?

If it’s only for a range toy, who cares about reliability? Sure it can be annoying to have a problem, but it’s not really a big deal. I’ve bought a couple pistols just because I was curious about them and the price was right at $350-400 (PPQ, SP2022, 509, P10) so I get it. But I wouldn’t do a Taurus or Kel-Tec or similar for anything but the range.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1862 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
My folks bought a judge carbine against my suggestions. A couple of the chambers were clearly out of time. They were still out of time after it went for repair.

Friends don’t let friends buy Taurus.

Posts: 9992 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^I had the same issue with an M605 .357 magnum. A "carry up" problem they said. I sent it in, they fixed it pretty quickly, and the revolver has been fine ever since. Been shooting it for 20 years.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16420 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Can't speak to the GX4, but you're not alone with the Taurus curiosity. I can't get the TH10 out of my head. I know it's a Taurus, but it's a compact DA/SA 10mm...

I've owned Tauruses (Taurii?) in the past, so I know from experience that I'll probably regret it, but I'm probably going to have to get one at some point just to try it.

I can tell you through first hand experience the TH10 is a POS. Shot one with a buddy and was not impressed. Ergonomics are terrible and reliability is questionable.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11794 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost $700 for a P365 Macro vs over half that amount less for this one...what's not to wonder and worry about? Wink

The GX series does seem to have their fans. Very few complaints from our own customers, but personally handling the guns they do seem a bit chintzy compared to the SIG or a Hellcat Pro. I've not held the GX4 Carry, only the rest of the lineup from the GX2 up to the micro GX4. And I've only shot a GX2, to which it did go 'bang' every time. Granted I wasn't inspired to actually want to buy one, but it did work as it was supposed to.

-MG

Posts: 2045 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
The original GX4 had a recall for hang fire type problems. There were reports about it where shooters would pull the trigger, nothing would happen, and later the striker would drop and fire if a round was in the chamber. Eek Eek

Taurus did the recall on a range of serial numbers for the recall but after a short while expanded the range which would really suck for those who already checked the serial number range and thought their pistol was good to go.

I personally would never buy a Taurus pistol nor recommend one to anyone that asked me about one.

https://www.guns.com/news/2023...y-recall-gx4-pistols

Posts: 9763 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Q, I totally understand. Several years ago I bought a SCCY CPX-2 due to an unyielding curiosity about it and because they’re made in the town where I grew up - Daytona Beach. As with the GX4 you’re considering, the price was low enough to be its own incentive. I’ve only had it out to the range once, but it shot pretty well. It’s not a bad little gun. So I get your thought process.

Back on topic, I’ve not shot a Taurus semiauto, but I have a 2” Model 85 stainless that I really like. My dad gave it to me for Christmas around 1990. Years later, Taurus CS took care of a broken firing pin spring (IIRC) and didn’t charge me.

If I may cite a somewhat analogous example, in 1970, my dad bought my mom a 1970 Toyota Corona; at that time, Toyota was regarded as a budget car company where maybe 1 in 10 were decent vehicles. Hers was excellent and reliable. Look at Toyota now. Maybe Taurus will get there someday, too.

I say go for it!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1684 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:

If I may cite a somewhat analogous example, in 1970, my dad bought my mom a 1970 Toyota Corona; at that time, Toyota was regarded as a budget car company where maybe 1 in 10 were decent vehicles. Hers was excellent and reliable. Look at Toyota now. Maybe Taurus will get there someday, too.

I say go for it!

You had me until the Toyota analogy

Posts: 88 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
The original GX4 had a recall for hang fire type problems. There were reports about it where shooters would pull the trigger, nothing would happen, and later the striker would drop and fire if a round was in the chamber. Eek Eek

Taurus did the recall on a range of serial numbers for the recall but after a short while expanded the range which would really suck for those who already checked the serial number range and thought their pistol was good to go.

I personally would never buy a Taurus pistol nor recommend one to anyone that asked me about one.

Irony...aren't GX-4s assembled if not made here in the U.S.?

-MG

Posts: 2045 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
quote:

Irony...aren't GX-4s assembled if not made here in the U.S.?

I don't know. My money would be for the Shield Plus which at times goes for around $300 when they have rebate on them. I am still using my original Walther PPS and hoping that Walther or HK come out with something new available soon but I plan to get a new slim subcompact before the election. I know HK has a new model but not for sale yet and being made in Germany who knows when or if it will be available here with their strict export laws.

Posts: 9763 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Walther is coming out with something new, but HK is for sure. However, the micro-compact that we'll get in the US will be built in the US. It'll look almost nothing like the "SFP9cc" previewed at EnforceTac last year. They actually weren't even supposed to put that one out anyway.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 372 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I expect a new Walther micro 9MM will be built in USA also at their Fort Smith facility. No word on anything yet including from Walther when I talked to their rep at LGS factory shoot in March.

posted Hide Post
Normally I don't stray from Sig, Glock, HK, S&W, etc.

Recently picked up an IWI Masada Slim. Love this gun. It has replaced everything as daily carry.

I came across it after gifting a 365XL to my daughter and wanting something small to replace it, even though I never carried the XL.

Posts: 1901 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: October 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I expect a new Walther micro 9MM will be built in USA also at their Fort Smith facility. No word on anything yet including from Walther when I talked to their rep at LGS factory shoot in March.

I assume it will be somewhat like a mini version of the PDP F-Series?

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 372 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a GX4 but the G2c I had ran perfectly. I have owned a couple revolvers and other semi-auto Taurus guns and they were complete garbage. It's a shame they can be hit or miss. Sometimes you want what you want and nothing else will fill the hole. On a side note, I purchased a Canik Mete MC9 not long ago and could not be happier with how well it functions and the trigger is exceptional.

Posts: 6934 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver:
quote:

I assume it will be somewhat like a mini version of the PDP F-Series?

Don't know. The PPS has proven to be very popular too so another possibility is a new optics ready PPS with higher capacity 1 1/2 stack magazines like S&W did to the Shield.