SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Owning Redundant Platforms
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Owning Redundant Platforms Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted
I've been buying and horse trading a lot of pistols this year. Through some trade offers that were beneficial on my end I have acquired a complete set of M&P and Glock 9mm's. I wouldn't has sought out to buy some of these but when someone wants to trade a Gen 5 Glock 17 and 19 for one scratched up CZ75 you can't go wrong. I had another guy offer me an almost new M&P full size pistol for a $300 shotgun I had for sale so I took him up on that too.

So I find myself with the following M&P's
5" Full size
4.25" Full size
3.6" compact

And for the Glocks I have:
G17
G45
G19
All are Gen 5

I keep thinking it would make the most sense to sell one brand or the other but I seem to find redeeming qualities in both. I've taken the mid size of each platform to a couple of steel action shooting matches and I shoot them equally well (do not notice the "grip angle" issues or anything else) and I have mags and holsters aplenty for each.

I'm not really complaining or asking for help deciding on what to do. I just found it strange to have accidentally put together 2 completes sets of the same pistols and since I don't have any kind of brand bias I just enjoy the feeling of symmetry in my collection. Smile

Does anyone else keep multiple platforms of the same gun or do you prefer to consolidate on less?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Actually when I find a gun I REALLY like, I end up with multiple of that model.

As an example, I have three standard Sig P365's and three Sig P365XLs.

I bought one of each, realized I loved them, then decided to pick up a spare. My thought process was, I can carry one and train with the other, then rotate them. Also should I use one in a self defense situation, the police are going to seize it as evidence. Well no biggie, I have another at home.

Then next thing you know I find someone selling one locally for cheap and well, now I have 3 of each.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a similar collections as you with S&W and Glock polymer guns and wouldn't sell any. I like both types and each serve a different purpose.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:

...should I use one in a self defense situation, the police are going to seize it as evidence. Well no biggie, I have another at home.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ditto with my brace of Dan Wesson 45ACP CCOs.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often buy multiple copies or versions of guns I like. I bought an AXG Scorpion new, and the next month ran into one LNIB for a ridiculously low price and got it, too. I have half a dozen j-frames, and lost count of 320's. My wife is NO help, she wanted a320 Tacops (I think that's the model) and the an RX Compact. You never know when a gun will get stolen, seized as evidence, or otherwise lost, so a couple of backups could come in handy.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Your situation is not uncommon. Some actually have four to five brands like that! Once I’ve found a pistol I like and shoot well, I clone it. Don’t get me started on J-frames either!

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Yeah, along with the redundant pistols across brands I also have redundant versions of my edc.
I have 2 M&P compacts and 3 Glock 19's.
Since I invested in training, holsters, mags, and spare parts I figured I should have a spare in case that model is discontinued or loss/damage.

It's a terrible problem I tell ya. Getting ready every morning and thinking to myself, "hmmm, what pistol goes best with these pants?".

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I often buy multiple copies or versions of guns I like....

I know a guy exactly like this with the P228. He could spell out P228 on the floor with his P228s. Crazy dude.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I normally buy a 2nd gun that's identical to the one I carry every day.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:

...should I use one in a self defense situation, the police are going to seize it as evidence. Well no biggie, I have another at home.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ditto with my brace of Dan Wesson 45ACP CCOs.

Agreed. Sometimes SIG (and others) stop making what you really like - like, say, the 220 Match or the 220EUs in 9mm. Then, as SIG229 pointed out, you never know what might pop up on the used market when you've got a little mad money.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

I know a guy exactly like this with the P228. He could spell out P228 on the floor with his P228s. Crazy dude.

And periodically give them away no less. Some fella.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I know a forum member who could probably spell out the word Glock with all his. Big Grin

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
I know a forum member who could probably spell out the word Glock with all his. Big Grin

And his hanle starts with "ruger". Lol.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Buy what you like. I have several 9mm pistols that could be considered "redundant" to one another.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it's about the experience. Redundancy isn't necessarily a bad thing. For instance I never would've discovered how enjoyable SIGs are if I locked myself out on everything except Glock.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
For far too many years I’d switch platforms, incessant to just have one platform. For the better part of two decades that was a 239 for carry, 229 for HD/Range. Then I tried the HK P2000/P2000Sk. Then Glocks, Sphinx, more Glocks, and a few more. And rented everything else.

Then I finally figured it out. One single platform can't do all I need it to do or want it to do. As a DA/SA trigger snob I’m just picky. All my DA/SA’s get worked over by Burke.
I have a set of PX4’s (sub, comp, full) and a set of HK P30/P30sk’s. PX4 is the primary platform and what I carry most of the year. I just prefer the triggers. They are just real sweet shooters and people sleep on them so they are cheap to acquire, mod and trick out to how I want. P30’s are for gloved use as they have larger trigger guards so anything I do with gloves on, which is a lot, I take or carry a HK. Everything is more or less redundant. Most often carried is the PX4 sub. If it were ever to go down I can grab the PX4 compact or just carry the P30sk. But I carry them all in a year. The PX4 full size is the NS pistol with a 20rd magazine + a spare. I have a 92 I acquired that I’m having a lot of work done that might take over NS duty but it’s the same MOA so I’m not introducing anything new. The important part is I have dual subcompacts, and compacts for carry and between two platforms I have all use cases covered. And I love magazine interchangeability.

When the larger HK mags came out for the P30’s I upgraded all mine, sold the old ones. If I ever want to downsize it would be a very easy choice. That P30 with the 17rd magazines now, would be it, and the SK. I’d have 2 of each, one for carry, which would be broken in then not shot but maybe a mag a year, and a range version that would get abused, cleaned little, etc, and say fuck the handgun market. But I love those PX4 triggers so much, and the balance of the pistols. I get a P Series Sig like worked over trigger in a much better carry for me. The PX4 subcompact is my favorite carry gun in almost 30 years. I will buy a dupe of it at some point as well as the P30 when I have spare cash and nothing to do with it. But no CZ’s, Sigs, or any other DA/SA platforms. I went through all that exhaustively. If HK would give me a better starting point with their handguns, like say an all new DA/SA platform, and could get the triggers to PX4 like once worked over, it would be game over. But handguns are like vehicles to me. There is no one vehicle that can be a pickup, a sports car, an efficient daily driver, luxury car, etc. Thank God my handguns have been sorted for many years now. Got real tired of buy/sell/trade, selling magazines, etc.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I do this also. G17, 22, three G19’s, a G45 and a 42. That’s not counting the other I’ve own and traded or sold. Never had a Beretta 92, so I bought one. Next thing I know, I own three.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glocks, M&P and several P320 variations. I wish I had just stuck with one platform but too late now.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I remember that pic! That was awesome. Now, who was that? Lol Big Grin

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Most of my practical stuff I try to keep standardized. I had a Glock 26 for a long time, but haven't shot it in a while since we went to the P320 for work and I've been carrying those a lot more. With moving to red dots, I'm finding that consistent presentation is very dependent upon grip angle, and the Glock just didn't point the same way as my 320s and 250s do. I ended up selling it off to standardize on those platforms. Added benefits are commonality with holsters, mags, grip modules, etc.

Polymer semi-autos aren't really a "fun" thing for me...they're purely practical. Whatever I need to do to best fill my needs in that regard, I'll do. I still have a lot of diversity in my "fun gun" collection, and those do get pressed into practical service from time to time depending upon the situation, but I like the commonality for the "working" stuff and don't see any benefit to trying to support multiple platforms in that role.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post