SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Owning Redundant Platforms
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Owning Redundant Platforms Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
When I really like something I buy spares. This has resulted in me looking like a collector, but I am not. I just buy what I like, the problem is I have been known to have a wandering eye when it comes to guns. I have had a glock phase, a 320 phase, beretta phase, cz phase, etc.

If you asked me today I could confidently tell you I could perform all my centerfire tasks with the Sig 365 platform and the HK P30 V1 platform. Next year I might say something different. As I get older though I think these 2 choices will stick. They literally fill every need I have. If selling guns wasn't such a pain in the ass I might get rid of some. It's easier to wait for my family to age enough to give them away to good homes.

Posts: 7487 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I practice redundancy a little differently - my goal is to have multiple firearms in the major calibers, both handgun and long - .22lr, .380, 9mm, .357SIG, .38/.357 Magnum, .40, .45, 10mm, .223/5.56, 7.62x39, .308, and 12ga. That way, when there may be ammo shortages, I have other options available to me.

And sprinkle a few more in as they interest me.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redundancy sort of happened. In general I have acquired combat handguns and long guns based on actual historical military and Agency selections.

Naturally there is platform overlap, but most of it is category overlap that becomes redundant platforms.

And impulse purchases such as AXG Scorpion.

Conserve Liberty, and the right of self-determination.

Posts: 57 | Location: The Flyover Part | Registered: September 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think you're going to get anybody that thinks you're crazy for having redundant guns. I have 5 smith j-frame revolvers in my nightstand. My thought process is if 5 rounds doesn't do the job I don't need to reload I just grab another one (stupid reasoning, but it was my justification for buying j-frame revolvers because I think they're cool)

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have 5 J frames in your nightstand? That might be redundant. lol

Posts: 7487 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You have 5 J frames in your nightstand? That might be redundant. lol

They are all different models 360, 340Pd, 642, 442, 638… seemed like a good idea Roll Eyes

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Redundancy of one pistol or brand makes a bit more sense to me from a pragmatic point of view as explained by jljones and stormin on the previous page.
What I struggle with is having pistols like a Glock G45, M&P 9, and a Sig P320 Carry together in your collection. They basically are all the same pistol, right? They all have 17+1 capacity, 4" bbls or close to it, dimensions are almost identical, etc.
Other than just wanting to have variety it seems to me to be the most sensible to choose one brand to invest training and support into.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Redundancy of one pistol or brand makes a bit more sense to me from a pragmatic point of view as explained by jljones and stormin on the previous page.
What I struggle with is having pistols like a Glock G45, M&P 9, and a Sig P320 Carry together in your collection. They basically are all the same pistol, right? They all have 17+1 capacity, 4" bbls or close to it, dimensions are almost identical, etc.
Other than just wanting to have variety it seems to me to be the most sensible to choose one brand to invest training and support into.

I agree. My favorite full size 9mm pistols are the Beretta M9, Browning Hi Power and SIG Sauer P226. But I'd rather own three P226's, than one of each. I know that may seem crazy to some.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Nothing wrong with having redundant platforms, if you can afford it. I have them in 1911's, SIGS, Beretta's. It's nice to have a back up, in case your primary goes down, or if involved in a shooting, your weapon winds up in evidence.

I'll have to work on getting another CZ... Wink

Wes

Posts: 2427 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
These days, I carry one day in and day out. I have a back up just like it handy and a rifle. And I shoot the crap out of them. When they break, I buy a replacement.

I’ve really stopped buying guns, and started training more with what I’ve got.

I commend those who train enough to wear out firearms, or at least the commonly-worn parts such as springs and barrels. It's a dedication to perfecting the craft of shooting, rather than one of accumulating things.

In my experience, most shooters put maybe only 1k rounds through any given firearm before they move on to something newer. New purchases are often self-justified by the hackneyed "one is none and two is one" statement. Those who own, use, and properly maintain quality firearms know that they are reliable and that they last for a long time.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Yep

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is I pick up a gun I have basically moved away from, 320, and dry fire it a bit and wonder why I moved off of it. There are so many good choices nowadays that we are spoiled.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I keep a journal with data in it. When I ask similar questions about old flames, I consult the data in the journal and it tells me why we are no longer a thing.

I have a handful of metrics that I judge my performance by. And I keep records of it over time. Metrics include points, score, hit factor and general performance issues that piss me off.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a lot of work. Lol. I can’t even keep round counts. I love when guys bring out their notepad and say they have shot 6427 rounds through this gun. I’m like, I think I bought this gun 5 years ago. Maybe.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Work is saying “I wonder what the difference is between a 320c and a Gen3 19” and going to the range and shooting them head to head for the 13th time because you can’t remember how it turned out the last dozen times.

So I write down what I learn. But, I don’t track round counts. Just performance stuff and averages.

www.opspectraining.com

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about my platforms being redundant, but I'm getting rid of things that I dont shoot in favor of more ammo and training. I started shooting steel and USPSA casually this year and that's changed my perspective or I'm just getting older. When I open the safe, I see shit that I have no real use for anymore, and no longer have the desire to keep it.

Buy what you want, keep what you want.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’ve been through phases over the years like has been mentioned above but honestly I generally vacillate between Glock and HK but always seem to come back to my HKs. While I like the simplicity of Glocks I just always end up back with HK due to the manual of arms (paddle mag release, larger controls, feel and I am just more comfortable at heart with a traditional DA/SA platform.)

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do love paddle mag releases. My first one was a Walther P99. What a very smart design. I always thought if Glock had come up with it we would all be shooting Glock P99's.

Guns aren't work for me so the idea of putting 2 guns head to head as "work" is foreign to me. It's all a hobby to me. A very useful hobby but a hobby nonetheless.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
P99 was my paddle intro as well and it was like a revolution to me. I am not saying paddles are superior PERIOD but they are superior for me. Not that I can’t run traditional buttons or what not but the paddle is just natural for for me.

Side note the P99 was/is an AMAZING pistol. I know I am in the minority but I would have loved to see a few more trips into DA/SA striker territory.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P99 concept is brilliant. Striker short trigger when you want, normal DA when you don’t. I think the paddle is superior. I’ve seen too many police videos where a stress grip and bad form cause a mag drop. I can’t imagine how that could happen with a paddle. The multiple ways to actuate it also are a plus. I also think if Glock had a paddle we would all be bigger fans.