SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P238 Powder burns on shot shells
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P238 Powder burns on shot shells Login/Join 
posted
After firing a new P238 I noticed the spent shells had black powder burns covering one side of the casing about halfway down the length of the shell. Is this normal? I called Sig customer service and they acted like I was wasting their time. Are large powder burns on the outside of spent casings normal and was I indeed wasting their time? Thanks

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
By “shot” shells I thought you were referring to cartridges loaded with birdshot, so I’m glad I looked in. Wink

I wouldn’t usually call black marks on a fired cartridge “powder burns” but rather firing residues of the same sort that end up in the barrel and on other parts of the gun. The presence of fired powder residues on cartridge cases is hardly unusual; it’s common in fact. If the residues are unusually heavy, though, it may indicate that the case didn’t expand as quickly or as fully as other cases might, thereby allowing powder gas to flow back between the case and the chamber wall. That can have a couple of likely causes. One is that the case itself is resistant to expanding and sealing the chamber because the metal is thicker or stronger than usual. The other, and probably more common reason is that the load is low powered.

I doubt I would be worried about the phenomenon, but if you can post photos of the cases for us to look at, we would have a better idea if the residues are unusually heavy.

As a side note, the HK P7 pistol has flutes in the chamber that are specifically intended to permit gas to flow between the chamber wall and the cartridge case to enhance extraction.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Occurs depending on powder manufacturers choose. UMC is the worst for powder residue on the brass casing. It's not a clean burning powder they use.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When there is insufficient chamber pressure to expand the brass during firing, the gas flow will leave deposits in some chambers on the brass where the gas escapes aft past the chamber mouth.

It's very common on downloaded "low recoil" loadings to make minimum power factor for some competition rounds.

With pistol shot, there's little chamber pressure to start with, little resistance, and the brass or aluminum isn't expanding much, if at all. You're seeing evidence of gas flow past the lip of the case, aft through the chamber.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nothing to worry about at all.

Posts: 107625 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's more a problem of the cartridge and not the gun. Usually that occurs when a slow burning powder is used with a light bullet....if you were a reloader I'd advise you to switch to a faster burning powder.

The 238 is a wonderful hand gun and what I carry on and off with my Glock 42.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your thoughts. Firing residue is the term I should have used. All responses make perfect sense. I was using Sig Sauer Elite performance ammo at the time. I tried posting pictures of the spent cartridges, but I was highly unsuccessful.

posted Hide Post
Firing residue would be better description. I would not say it was heavy residue. It was Sig Elite perf. ammo I was using. I tried posting pictures but failed miserably. Thanks for great explanations.
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
By “shot” shells I thought you were referring to cartridges loaded with birdshot, so I’m glad I looked in. Wink

I wouldn’t usually call black marks on a fired cartridge “powder burns” but rather firing residues of the same sort that end up in the barrel and on other parts of the gun. The presence of fired powder residues on cartridge cases is hardly unusual; it’s common in fact. If the residues are unusually heavy, though, it may indicate that the case didn’t expand as quickly or as fully as other cases might, thereby allowing powder gas to flow back between the case and the chamber wall. That can have a couple of likely causes. One is that the case itself is resistant to expanding and sealing the chamber because the metal is thicker or stronger than usual. The other, and probably more common reason is that the load is low powered.

I doubt I would be worried about the phenomenon, but if you can post photos of the cases for us to look at, we would have a better idea if the residues are unusually heavy.

As a side note, the HK P7 pistol has flutes in the chamber that are specifically intended to permit gas to flow between the chamber wall and the cartridge case to enhance extraction.

Welcome to the forum. Smile