SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P365. in .380?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P365. in .380? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The idea of a locked breech .380 appealed to me until I shot a few of them. Even the big ones, like the .380 EZ, felt almost exactly like a 9mm to me. Similar recoil and just as much bark. My favorite was the P238, but even that didn't do anything for me that the 938 doesn't do, apart from a small decrease in size. There just wasn't any noticeable gain in shootability on my end, or at the target.

.380 makes some sense in tiny pocket guns like the P3AT and the LCP, but those guns suck to shoot due to their size. When you start looking at putting it in a platform designed around the 9mm however, .380 is ballistically inferior, ammo is typically more expensive, and the cartridge being the same diameter, you're not going to see an increase in capacity. IMO I just don't see the point.

Posts: 8388 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
IMO I just don't see the point.

What about the claimed less force required to manually cycle the slide?

Despite my (admittedly inconsistent) efforts with an exerciser, my declining hand strength is becoming an issue with autoloading pistols. It’s not the recoil, because even the ferocious ( Roll Eyes ) 40’s recoil is no problem for me, but using the pinch and pull (slingshot) method to cycle the slide of my P365 is impossible and is becoming more difficult with larger guns. Ten years ago, or even five, it’s not something that I would have even thought about, but now it’s definitely something for me to consider.

Although videos can be misleading or even deceptive, the one I saw about the 380 P365 claimed and seemed to demonstrate that its slide was easier to manipulate.

Comments?

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I'll definitely get one!

quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I just saw a recent blurb that Sig plans to release this month or next a P365 in .380 caliber.

Interesting.

https://americanhandgunner.com...vailable-in-380-acp/

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6020 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about the claimed less force required to manually cycle the slide?

You know, I honestly hadn't considered that, but if it serves as a solution to that problem for you or others, then there is definitely some value there.

Our office manager at work suffers from a similar affliction, but she likes to come qualify with us when we shoot. The problem is, she also struggles with the snappy recoil of most of these guns. She tried the .380 EZ and didn't like it (she actually did better with a full-size P320 in 9mm, but struggled with the slide), so lately I've been looking for some .32 options for her.

Posts: 8388 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Then someone will decide that they want a .30 Luger...

Yup.

It would go well with my P226, P220s, and Glock. Big Grin

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ And might not require more than a simple barrel swap.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh. I'd actually be tempted to buy a .380 P365, as I love my regular P365, and like others here, really enjoy shooting my wife's G42...a lot. And I have a bunch of .380 anyway. Very cool.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
And then some schmuck like me will want to put a 9x18makarov conversion barrel in it. I'm still trying to get my Glock 42 to be a reliable Glockerov. A 365 in 9x18M would be very tempting. Why? Just 'cause.

Makarov fan here too.

I always thought the Sig P230 wouold have been an easy candidate for a Makarov chambering . The barrel for the Sig and Makarov are almost identical. Would have made me happy.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always thought the Sig P230 wouold have been an easy candidate for a Makarov chambering .

Yes, that would be nice and I've had the same thought. The 230 did come in a 9x18 police chambering and it is sweet.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Where is it, SIG? It's almost July October!

I'd really love one of these for my dad, who's 81 and has a hard time racking the slide on the 9mm. Otherwise, he loves the P365.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AUTiger89,

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6020 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

I'd really love one of these for my dad, who's 81 and has a hard time racking the slide on the 9mm. Otherwise, he loves the P365.

Well, SIG, you waited too long. My dad decided to go with a S&W Shield EZ.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Maybe they'll release it at Shot Show 2022. Oh, wait, never mind.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I really have no interest in the 365 as is (it's a great gun, but not something I need), but a .380 version? Yes, I'd actually buy that and replace my G42 with it.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Maybe they'll release it at Shot Show 2022. Oh, wait, never mind.

Maybe the same time as the promised 225 in full stainless.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
Subcompact guns in 9mm typically have very stout recoil springs.

Some people, like my wife who has had reconstructive surgery on her hand, cannot rack a slide with heavy recoil springs (and please don't try to talk about technique if you do not understand actual physical impairments). Locked-breach .380 pistols have very light recoil springs. I can rack the slides on a couple of my wife's .380 pistols with my pinky finger.

As previously noted, the recoil of a locked-breach .380 is substantially less than the recoil of a 9mm pistol of similar size. I would be surprised if anyone could not shoot such a .380 faster and more accurately than a comparable 9mm.

Well said, lower recoil and easier racking are very important to many shooters for physical issues and comfort.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have very recent experience with two of the platforms mentioned which are available in both .380 and 9mm: The Walther CCP and the S&W Ez pistols.

Iwas carrying the EZ for a while, and I found a clean used one in 9mm. I bought it really for the purpose of a/b comparison. The 9 weighs just a tad more, and although controllable, the .380 edged it out in faster hits, and being a 'bit' easier on the EZ functions, LOL. Those being racking the slide and loading the mags. So, I sold the 9, and kept on with the .380 for a bit.

I sold the 9mm CCP last year, IIRC, as I simply found it a bit too snappy for my liking. I had no idea that it was even out in .380, until I recently rescued one anib from a pawn shop. It is dramatically easier to shoot than it's big brother.

From the first a/b comparo with both, I found the CCP shot easier, had a better trigger, and was more accurate than the EZ. So, the Walther has taken over daily duty, and the EZ has been re-homed. By the way, if you want to get either CCP, make sure you get the 'Gen 2', with easier takedown. It's easily distinguished by the rectangular, serrated, sliding switch at the rear of the slide under the cocked-striker indicator.

Although I enjoy the 365 XL, I think the .380 in the standard 365 format will also be a huge hit, and I suspect a good future for it in the market.

Posts: 378 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Other than military personnel or some LEOs, no one is forced to adopt a gun or cartridge that they don’t want to. I will point out, though, if you’re scoffing at the idea of relying on a defensive pistol chambered for 380 Auto because it’s easier to manipulate and shoot, then don’t ever admit that you chose the 9mm Luger over cartridges like the 357 SIG, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP because it’s easier to manipulate and shoot. The principles and rationale are exactly the same.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

I met with a SIG Trainer & Armorer last month and he confirmed that SIG has developed and manufactured a P365 in . 380 ACP, but they are holding off on its release due to the lack of ammo market availability in that caliber.

I mentioned it in this thread:

SIG introduces P320 Concierge Service- P320/ P365 Design Studios- FCU seminar review + additional SIG news

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ve fired both the Walter PPK/Sand P230’s and decided the fixed barrel blowback’s recoil gave no advantage over a 9mm of similar size. A locking breech barrel would make a huge difference in felt recoil as well as alleviate the stiff slide tension of a blowback. I fired a buddy’s Keltec .380 and was impressed at how soft the recoil was. .380 Ammo would have to make an affordable comeback for me to invest in a new 365 so chambered. It was never that cheap to begin with.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I really don't get converting a 9mm gun to .380.

You can buy reduced recoil 9mm ammo to gain the advantages of .380, but physics won't allow you to buy .380 ammo that matches more typical 9mm ballistics.

So get a 9mm, some downloaded ammo and a second, less stiff recoil spring. Problem solved?

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post