SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Preferred 9mm rd grain
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred 9mm rd grain Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Talking practice/target shooting.
Also, ignoring cost, what do you prefer in your handgun? Does it vary from gun to gun?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
what distance? Are we talking handgun?

I'm no guru but if you're practicing at self defense distances (say out to 7 yards with most shots inside 5) yards, I don't think it matters. I'd go with cost.

Might have a different opinion if I had PCC and was shooting at a longer distance.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for practice ammo i go with any of the usual decent 115 grain ammo. WWB, UMC, AE, whatever.

I usually also shoot a couple, three mags of my carry ammo, again any of the better brands of 124 or 147 grain HP +P. I am not picky about a specific round for this either, I really don't think it make any significant real world difference.

Posts: 552 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
All things being equal (cost, usage, availability...) I prefer the 124gr. It seems like the perfect balance for me and a milder recoil. More of a pushback verse a snap. Could be mental, but its what I notice.

147 and heavier is strictly for my suppressor, crazy quiet.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Almost always 115s for me via a Glock 26. I’d have no aversion to a 124-grain round, I just haven’t tried one yet.

I do really like Wilson Combat’s 135-grain “carbine only” load for a PSA 9mm AR, but that’s a different story.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6695 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
For target shooting, whatever is cheapest. For carry, 124gr +P is my preference.

As far as gun to gun, only vary for carry ammo. I use Hornady Critical Duty in 4” or longer barrels and Gold Dot G2 Carry Gun in the P365 as it is designed for shorter barrels.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10960 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Given my druthers 124 grain NATO. That said I am generally not too picky with range ammo. I do prefer brass case however.

For SD I prefer 124 grain or 124 grain +P in any decent hollow point I have tested and I am confident functions in the gun, but I tend to like HST and Gold Dot the most but don’t have a “magic bullet” mentality.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7697 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
for practice ammo i go with any of the usual decent 115 grain ammo. WWB, UMC, AE, whatever.

This ^^^^^

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
If I could only choose one, it would be 124 grain.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same here. If just one, 124 grain. I have not shot 147 gr much, but I don't like it much (less accurate with it).

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
1 2 4

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I shoot 115,124, and 147 but 147 is my favorite. More of a push than snap. Even Federal HST 147 +P are a pleasure to shoot in my Walther PPS. Favorite range ammo is Federal American Eagle 147 and 124. Bought a bunch of it when Federal has 25 percent off rebate in 2019. Was about $7 a box of 50 net to me when ordered by the case. I like Speer Lawman too.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given my druthers 124 grain NATO.

This ^^^^

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when I reload its 147.
When I buy for practice stuff its price, price and then price as its all the same for range fodder.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever is cheap. I do make sure my break in ammo is the 124 NATO load.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I'm fortunate in that I reload my pistol ammo. As such I have only shot 124 gr since I began reloading. For carry I prefer a 124 gr +P.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
8 grams. 115 is OK for screwing around at the range, but life is simpler to the extent I just stick with 124 grains. Don't really have much use for 147s.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm fortunate in that I reload my pistol ammo. As such I have only shot 124 gr since I began reloading. For carry I prefer a 124 gr +P.

This is me as well.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 707 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preference is 124 NATO most of the time for target and practice. If I get a good price for 115 that's fine for paper punching, but if the price for 115 and 124 are close I'll go with the 124.

I just got some Hornady 135 Critical Duty and some HST 124 +P for carry, so I'm anxious to try both and see how they work out. I've heard a lot of good things about the Hornady 135.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NavyAgShooter,

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCI Blazer Brass. If you can find it. I stocked up back when it was everywhere.

Can't recall ever having a single issue (except with a particular ar-9 build that just doesn't like to eject the stuff for some reason).

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 449 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post