SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Because i like more than one flavor of icecream

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
.38 Super, .357 Sig...ballistically equivalent.

You can hot-up .38 Super more, to really push it, but no need, and it's available today in .357 Sig with same weights and velocities, in a lot more firearms, and factory loaded on the shelf.

And fewer rounds. 17 + 1 in the Glock. 39 + 1 with a Kriss Vector mag extension.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
And chicks dig it.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Because there is not a .55 ACP.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ugh. If only SIG did a .50GI...

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Ugh. If only SIG did a .50GI...

Um, okay. Now there is one even I don't understand. Makes even less sense than the 45 GAP. An answer to the question that nobody asked.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
To say a cartridge must make sense is like saying you have to need a gun to own one. After all, look at all of the .45ACPs there are out there.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Dillinger carried one. That is a good endorsement for some folks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was the .45 AARP!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
Because Palmetto State Armory sold me a delightful .45ACP Shield for $225 after rebate, and I read the ammo test data at Lucky Gunner. The expansion on modern .45ACP HP ammo is amazing. The .45ACP Shield is very easy to shoot well, even better than the 9MM Shield for me.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
Because Palmetto State Armory sold me a delightful .45ACP Shield for $225 after rebate, and I read the ammo test data at Lucky Gunner. The expansion on modern .45ACP HP ammo is amazing. The .45ACP Shield is very easy to shoot well, even better than the 9MM Shield for me.
I bought one of those. You would have to be crazy not to at that price.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there were less types of ammo used, the price of ammo would drop. More different types of ammo = higher prices.

Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
I want a .45 in Gyrojet.

That would be tits. Big Grin

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
If there were less types of ammo used, the price of ammo would drop. More different types of ammo = higher prices.

Not necessarily, and in fact, almost certainly, not.

Corner the market by making only one product available and everybody must buy that product. Presently, there are choices.

.45 is more expensive to buy and to reload; the components are more expensive. Twice the metal in the 230 grain projectile as in the 115 gn. 9mm.

Why not reduce to only one model of car? Only one item of food to eat? Only one degree, only one job, only one...

Because we're human and life's not like that.

I've got .38, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40, .41 magnum, .44 magnum, 10mm, .45 acp, .45 Colt, etc, on my shelves, and it's not boosting your prices one bit. I reload for a lot of it, which put my ammunition consumption outside the principle of everyone buying the same, as it doesn't come through the factory. What I carry concealed, will always be more expensive.

A good deal of what get shot at the range, in the desert, in the mountains, and off-range isn't even made in the US, and doesn't fall in line with the notion that everyone shooting the same would change the price. Foreign cartridges don't work to the same economic model, and we're not the only market, so that theory's out.

Higher prices aren't a consequence of variety, and in fact it may be said that variety is competition which works to constrain price runaway, in context of supply and demand, of course. Boutique or little-used cartridges will always be higher. We did see 9mm shortages not so long ago, and .40 was cheaper than 9mm, though more were shooting 9mm. There are more than two sides to the coin.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
.45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm...

They're a heterosexual male? Big Grin

The 9mm is a great cartridge for very small guns, very small woman, small children or shooting people in the back of the head. Wink

Bwhahahaha

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because in the words of a kid, perhaps six years old, at one gun show table yesterday (with his dad and siblings); "Hey dad, look at this one. It's the coolest one that's here." He was touching the butt of a Colt Government Model, Series 70, in .45. Only $879.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have found it more accurate and better for precision work. My experience

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
hmmmm....as a guy that has carried many handguns in the last 20 years...why not?

I love the 1911 platform and have tons of .45 mags...and I love the commander length light weight versions.

I am intrigued with the thought of a commander in 357sig or even a 5" model

That being said I prefer 9mm...in either a G19 or BHP

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will reload .45 but I can’t be bothered to reload a 9. 9 is inexpensive but there is cost savings to reload .45

1911 trigger, do I need to say more? If you don’t know what I’m talking about then you just don’t know what you don’t know.

I don’t choose one over the other. I have and shoot both for they both have a purpose.

Posts: 96 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
susinctly; it lets out more blood and shoves in m0re crud.,

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post