SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For our part,we like the notion of large chunks of lead flying at relatively low velocities for defense against varmints that go about on two legs. Additionally, while there are documented instances of the 9mm not properly expanding in a target, there are no known instances of the .45 shrinking.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
I narrowed down to all 9mm pistols (except one 1903 Colt .32 ACP and a Ruger Mark III .22 LR) but just today sorted a bin of .45 and .40 brass to see how much of each I had...

Which brings up another reason to have a .45 ACP or a .40 S&W (which seems to be the big loser in the movement to 9mm). They can be interesting and fun to reload and shoot; they broaden out the sport a bit; and, they are not a 9mm, no matter how capable 9mm has evolved to be.

I am about to launch back into .40 S&W (just bought a used FNX-40, a well-designed hammer-fired gun with a decocker) and am looking forward to working with something with a bit more recoil, a different feel, and different reloading combinations. This line of thinking could apply equally to .45 ACP, I think, without even debating which is more "effective," has more "stopping power," or how important magazine capacity is.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
.45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm...

They're a heterosexual male? Big Grin

The 9mm is a great cartridge for very small guns, very small woman, small children or shooting people in the back of the head. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
Because 1911s and P220s just feel 'right' in .45 ACP.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
.45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm...

Because the 9mm's don't fit in my 220 mags.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem Eastwood:
Because 1911s and P220s just feel 'right' in .45 ACP.

Not to bash on either the .45 or your take on it, but man, try the 220 in .38 Super sometime. Maybe I'm nuts, but I could swear the pistol and the cartridge were fated for each other.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a word...size matters... and a .45 leaves a bigger hole going in and coming out.

And for me personally, I've found that it's far easier to get an accurate .45 load than a 9mm, irrespective of the gun. Inherently, the .45 is a more accurate caliber.

Ken Waters, a noted handloader from the past, once speculated that the 9mm suffered from varying thickness brass in its case...this he said led to varying neck tension, velocity etc. The .45 ACP, in my experience, has better uniformity in that respect.

YMMV, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Why do I carry 9mm? Simple. I am secure in my manhood. (BOOM! I love caliber wars Wink )

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have carried both on job. Shoot 9mm better simple as that.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because I worship John M. Browning and can't afford a vintage M2 Browning .50 cal. Wink

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Seemed like the 45 auto has proven to work just fine. Way back when about 100 years ago by a guy by the name of Alvin York.

During the assault, six German soldiers in a trench near York charged him with fixed bayonets. York had fired all the rounds in his M1917 Enfield rifle, but drew his M1911 pistol and shot all six German soldiers before they could reach him.

Do not overlook Owen J. Baggett. During WWII co-pilot Baggett and his crew bailed out of a B 24 over Burma. The Japanese Zero pilots were strafing the parachuting Americans. One of the Zeros pulled alongside Baggett to inspect him. The furious Baggett shot at the pilot four times with a 1911. The plane spun into the ground, the pilot headshot.

http://www.airforcemag.com/Mag...01996/0796valor.aspx

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
We can talk all day about the merits of 9mm versus 45 Auto. But deep down we all know the caliber of choice for a truly civilized person is the Super 38 Automatic. The common man may carry the 9mm or 45, but a true gentleman carries a Super 38. It is powerful, fast, accurate, unfailing. Guys, a real woman would demand nothing less (and smoke Chesterfields!) Smile

And yes, for those times when we are out and I need to wear a suit, a Super 38 is my pistol of choice Wink

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looks like .38 Super has my vote as well.

Guessing I'd go with it also with my 2011, P220s and Glock. Big Grin

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
especially when 10mm's are the answer

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.38 Super, .357 Sig...ballistically equivalent.

You can hot-up .38 Super more, to really push it, but no need, and it's available today in .357 Sig with same weights and velocities, in a lot more firearms, and factory loaded on the shelf.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
357 Sig is an amazing round... but the Super 38 has class Wink

posted Hide Post
Why do I choose to carry a 45 ACP. The short and simple reason is because I have a number of them. If you have been carrying over 2 decades as I have, you have seen the evolution in design/performance of the 9mm. But it was not always so and therefore I have some collected some very nice 45 ACP hand guns over the years. Today, I feel that with the proper ammunition the 9mm has shown to perform well as also. But, the key with both of them is shot placement. Therefore, with the 9mm not only do you need good shot placement, but also good bullet performance, with the 45 ACP bullet performance is not as critical of a factor.

With the above being said, sometime I carry a 45 ACP and sometime a 9mm depending on circumstances. The 9mm gets the nod when I want to have more ammo on me and the 45 ACP when I do not feel I may need the extra rounds.

Posts: 7 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: June 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We can talk all day about the merits of 9mm versus 45 Auto. But deep down we all know the caliber of choice for a truly civilized person is the Super 38 Automatic. The common man may carry the 9mm or 45, but a true gentleman carries a Super 38. It is powerful, fast, accurate, unfailing. Guys, a real woman would demand nothing less
Great post Mbinky....gotta lot of merit to it...truly a great caliber (once they decided to headspace on the case mouth!) My Commander and Ruger CMD in .38 Super are truly head and shoulders above 9mm in the same guns. Talking accuracy and reliability here!

But I'm no gentleman, as some of my former 'jungle-fighter' comrades would attest, so it's still the old "Colt Automat, the Chunky blue cat, the Fist filling gat" (in .45 ACP) for me. Best Regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
357 Sig is an amazing round... but the Super 38 has class Wink

And chicks dig it.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience the 45ACP was not a one round show stopper. Like generations before me learned a rifle is primary and a handgun is secondary supplement.

The advantage of the handgun is portability and conceal-ability. If the 9X19mm is not effective then I am S-O-L.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post